What's new

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Can't Wait! Super Excited! I gobble up every vintage 3D release (minus the stewardesses). I have been really looking forward to this one.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks for the good thought, John.

We're hard at work on SANGAREE. The color fading is a big problem but thanks to the combined talents of Greg Kintz and Jack Theakston, we're working through them.

That being said, most of the opticals (fades, dissolves, etc) are really bad and there's only so much that we can do.

But I must say, what I've seen so far looks absolutely beautiful. As a friend commented after viewing some segments, "This is going to be your best color work to date."

On top of that, the stereo cinematography is absolutely outstanding!

If you haven't seen it, here's a before/after comparison on the opening logo.

Sangaree-collage2.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the good thought, John.

We're hard at work on SANGAREE. The color fading is a big problem but thanks to the combined talents of Greg Kintz and Jack Theakston, we're working through them.

That being said, most of the opticals (fades, dissolves, etc) are really bad and there's only so much that we can do.

But I must say, what I've seen so far looks absolutely beautiful. As a friend commented after viewing some segments, "This is going to be your best color work to date."

On top of that, the stereo cinematography is absolutely outstanding!

If you haven't seen it, here's a before/after comparison on the opening logo.

View attachment 45090
It is simply amazing - miraculous - that Greg and Jack are able to return the film to anything close to resembling a premiere presentation. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed

I look forward to any updates on Sangaree with great anticipation! That Paramount logo is a bit of a tease... I'm really looking forward to seeing scenes that showcase the sets and costumes, but all in good time. It's going to be a real highlight.

As I understand it, one side of Sangaree is coming from 4k scans of the original negative, with the other from 2k of the IP. I believe Redheads was all 2k.

Does Greg Kintz find he is getting better results working from 4k and the original negative? I know with the problematic dissolves you would want to have the best material to work from. I think it'll make an interesting comparison, I know Greg will do everything possible to get the IP side to looks as good as it ever looked, but I won't mind if the other side reveals additional detail. I understand that not every restoration can be afforded this luxury, so it's very much appreciated.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Oh yes, 4K of camera negative on one side makes a BIG difference!

Greg, Jack, Thad and I have discussed this several times over the past month. We're all very proud of REDHEADS and pulling the best out of that 35mm low-con master positive, but it would have been SO much better if we could have had a 4K scan of just one side. Of course, both sides in 4K (as with THE MAZE) would be ideal.

Sadly, budgetary restrictions make that impossible on most projects. It's really thanks to Martin Scorsese and the Film Foundation that we had that opportunity with the Menzies film.

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes

Greg, Jack, Thad and I have discussed this several times over the past month. We're all very proud of REDHEADS and pulling the best out of that 35mm low-con master positive, but it would have been SO much better if we could have had a 4K scan of just one side. Of course, both sides in 4K (as with THE MAZE) would be ideal.

Sadly, budgetary restrictions make that impossible on most projects. It's really thanks to Martin Scorsese and the Film Foundation that we had that opportunity with the Menzies film.
We need one of the 3-D enthusiasts on here to win the Power Ball lottery!!!

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
Having never seen Sangaree, I watched the version available on Youtube - which didn't look too bad, actually - and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm now awaiting the 3D release with even greater anticipation (if that were actually possible!). Ready and waiting to place my order, Bob!

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed

I hope you get many more opportunities like that on projects to come, but I'm glad you've been prepared to tackle projects where the deluxe treatment was never going to be an option.

Can't wait to see how The Maze looks (as well as just enjoy the film!). I thought Cease Fire could hardly have looked better, I know that and most other titles were produced on a tighter budget - but it didn't show. I would imagine black and white can be somewhat more forgiving, but I'm frequently taken aback by just how striking the monochromatic imagery of classic cinema can be. It's worth capturing that as faithfully as possible. I've no doubt your results on The Maze will more than justify the additional expense.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Following up on my mini-review a page back regarding the 3 channel sound on The Maze Blu-ray now that I've had a chance to play it on my home rig.

While it sounded good at Bob's place, his audio is compromised a bit because of speaker placement. On my system, which is a Denon receiver and three identical Polk speakers placed backstage behind an acoustically transparent screen, the 3.0 stereo sound on The Maze is fantastic. The directional dialogue is more than a little effective, especially with off-screen characters. And the dynamic range of the effects and music are terrific. I didn't play them back to back, but I think The Maze is more effective that Cease Fire, even without the booming sound effects present in that track. A lot of The Maze has subtle sound and it really translates well in this stereo recreation.

[editorial] I'll again emphasize, if there's any way for projector viewers to utilize an AT screen and backstage speakers, go for it. It made a huge difference for my setup for all titles, not just 3-D. [/editorial]

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Following up on my mini-review a page back regarding the 3 channel sound on The Maze Blu-ray now that I've had a chance to play it on my home rig.

While it sounded good at Bob's place, his audio is compromised a bit because of speaker placement. On my system, which is a Denon receiver and three identical Polk speakers placed backstage behind an acoustically transparent screen, the 3.0 stereo sound on The Maze is fantastic. The directional dialogue is more than a little effective, especially with off-screen characters. And the dynamic range of the effects and music are terrific. I didn't play them back to back, but I think The Maze is more effective that Cease Fire, even without the booming sound effects present in that track. A lot of The Maze has subtle sound and it really translates well in this stereo recreation.

[editorial] I'll again emphasize, if there's any way for projector viewers to utilize an AT screen and backstage speakers, go for it. It made a huge difference for my setup for all titles, not just 3-D. [/editorial]

I noticed the same on Cease Fire. I don't have a screen but, I project onto a wall and have three Definitive Technology Mythos Two speakers below the image. Even the off screen effects sound like they are coming from the side walls. Can't wait to see and hear The Maze which I have on order.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Maybe Martin Scorsese and the Film Foundation could help in the future with acquiring Money From Home and/or Friday the 13th Part 3 from Paramount.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Sorry, another question for Bob.

With Jivaro never released in 3D, did they create the opening titles in 3D before it was decided?

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Maybe Martin Scorsese and the Film Foundation could help in the future with acquiring Money From Home and/or Friday the 13th Part 3 from Paramount.

That would be delightful! Maybe they could help finding a distributor for the three Universal 3D features Bob had mentioned (THE GLASS WEB, WINGS OF THE HAWK and TAZA, SON OF COCHISE)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks