What's new

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Bob, sorry I couldn't make it to any of your MoMA screenings (though I've purchased all the titles you screened); would have loved to have said hi and to have enjoyed some of these films with a crowd -- and would have loved to have heard you announce I,The Jury and been able to thank you personally for that. This is a milestone -- the first ever homevid release of this long-missing (on home media) piece of the Spillane oeuvre. Spillane fans, film noir fans, mystery fans and all classic 3D lovers will flock to pony up for this. Kudos once again!!

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Great news about "I, the Jury".
In "I,tJ", Biff Elliott is the weakest actor but the rest of the cast make up for him. Oddly enough, in "My Gun is Quick" John Bray (as Mike Hammer) is the only decent actor in the entire cast.

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
Delighted to hear about I, The Jury. It's very gratifying to see that classic 3D titles still keep coming in spite of the many '3D is dead' type articles that some journalists love to write. I deplore the decision to abandon 3D TV by some manufacturers - purely to force UHD on the public, in my opinion - and can't think of any other technical innovation that has been abandoned without something similar taking its place.
Thankfully, organizations like Bob's keep fighting the fight, and powerful industry figures like James Cameron are still behind 3D, so all is not lost.
Just going back to my earlier post regarding Charge At Feather River for the next (possible?) 3D release from Warner. If we couldn't have that one, then I vote for Second Chance (Is it with Warner, now - I know it was RKO) Seen it on TV, flat, several times - great little thriller - come on Warner, don't give up on 3D!

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Just looking at that poster for I, The Jury and Peggy in that top is enough to get my little heart going and I've only just recovered from watching those dancing girls in Red Heads. Wow zowee!

Great news for hear of another 50's 3D coming our way.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Mr. F
I just listened to your interview on the Nitrate podcast. I have bought many of your classic releases, along with most of the new 3D movies both filmed for 3D and converted. The question I would have asked you about was your opinion of the slightly older films being converted. I thought both "Titanic" and "The Wizard of Oz" were astonishing other films not so much. What do you think?

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I am thrilled that I, The Jury is coming to Blu-ray! I saw this one at the 3-D Film Expo as well, and enjoyed it a good deal more than I expected. Biff Elliott is a hoot as Mike Hammer. His Mike Hammer has a hair trigger temper, and his explosions into violence are so over the top that it enhances the entertainment value of the film by adding an (unintentional) humorous aspect to the film. Those who enjoy drinking games could take a shot of whiskey every time Mike roughs up a suspect or a cop, and be plastered before the end of the film.

The 3-D compositions in I, The Jury are sublime. (I love the location footage from downtown L.A. and the Bradbury building.) I know this will make a great 3-D Blu-ray, especially with Bob and Greg in charge. I understand that Bob Furmanek deserves credit for locating the right eye footage that had been thought to have been lost. I saw this on a double bill with Inferno at the 3-D Film Expo, along with The Maze on a different day. Of the 3 films, the 3-D in I, The Jury was the best of al 3 films, in my opinion. (It is nice to see that all 3 films that I saw will be released on 3-D Blu-ray.) I think people will be very pleased with the 3-D Blu-ray. I know I cannot wait! Thanks Bob and Greg!

Kiwitutor

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Bob, when you say that you scour the vaults for footage, do you literally mean that you descend into the film storage facilities and dig around? Or is it a more scientific approach? I'd love to hear more of the physical process of locating these 'lost' features.

jtchance

Grip
Real Name
Michael Verderosa
Kudos and many thanks to Bob, Greg, Jack, Thad, and all others involved in this forthcoming restoration.

I too judge I, the Jury very highly.

Director of photography John Alton pulls off a near flawless execution of chiaroscuro lighting and beautiful 3-D compositions in I, the Jury.

Perhaps the jury is still out on Biff Elliot as Mike Hammer, but the lovely and charming Margaret Sheridan acquits herself well, as always.

I counsel everyone to be on the lookout for this important film on Blu-Ray.

I rest my case.
Mike I am already on board for I,THE JURY but the idea of Margaret Sheridan being involved has me over the moon. Don't tell my wife but I have been crazy about her since the first time I saw THE THING!

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
Since July 1982, Jerry Lewis has been an important part of my life. I became his personal archivist in 1984 and there were SO many wonderful moments shared over these past 35 years.

As Jim Carrey so beautifully said yesterday, "I am because he was."

I was privileged to see the personal side of this remarkable man. His warmth, generosity and compassion were unbounded and when I suffered a hardship or loss in my life, he reached out and was there for me. And even when I passed the half-century mark, he would still greet me with "Hiya, Kid."

Moments shared behind the scenes at the Muscular Dystrophy Telethons were both heartbreaking and inspiring. He loved children so very much and the untold stories of what he did year-round for "his kids" and their families would touch your heart.

He has left an amazing legacy to the world and his lifelong charitable work is without peer. Please consider helping Jerry's House to continue their important work with children: https://www.jerryshouse.net/

Quite frankly, were it not for his encouragement and support, there would be no 3-D Film Archive today. His name opened MANY doors and much was saved because of his early involvement.

Every conversation began with "How are you" and "What are you working on?" I always kept him up to date on our progress and he was so delighted when I gave him our first releases on Blu-ray. He always took an interest - and he cared. That's the kind of man that he was.

Last year, Dave Kehr and I mounted a 90th birthday salute at New York's Museum of Modern Art which culminated in the premiere of his final starring feature film, MAX ROSE. He taped this introduction for the opening night program and even with his advanced years, his quick wit and sharp sense of humor were still very much intact:

It's very sad losing a mentor, a hero and a friend. God bless you, JL. Rest in peace, my friend.

View attachment 39989

My belated condolences Bob on the loss of your friend, Jerry.
Anthony (ForeverElvis)

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
Hi Bob, I have the two Martin & Lewis collections on DVD and the standalone "Money From Home" on Paramount DVD. The only title missing of the 16 is "3 Ring Circus", of course. What has kept this film from release all these years?
Will we ever see it on home video? it was a favorite of mine as a kid. - Anthony (ForeverElvis)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you, Anthony.

The publisher that owns one of the songs in CIRCUS wants a ridiculous amount (I think $75K) for the rights to release it on DVD/Blu-ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sadly, publishers and rights holders like that are far from unique.

I genuinely don't understand how it's preferable to hold a position like that. A home video release on older catalog title is extremely unlikely to make anything close to 75K today. Maybe if everything went extremely well, the total gross on a release like that could be 75K, but the net profit would be substantially less. And yet, the publisher would rather have 100% of nothing than a percentage of something. Publishers like that could cut deals for less, even put in some clauses that if the release is an unexpected success they could be paid better to make up for that, but so at least they'd get a small something and then film could be released. But they almost never do.

In some cases, I think the publisher is able to turn a lack of a sale or license into a tax write-off. The publisher claims that the song they own the rights to (or, in the case of studios, the movie they own) is worth $75,000, or whatever they've been asking for and haven't getting. Then, since no one paid that, they write it off as a loss and are getting a $75,000 discount on their taxes the following year, which is worth more to them than getting a payment of a couple thousand dollars. My question would be - if no one is willing to pay that $75,000 price for a song or for a movie, is it really still worth that much? Who gets to decide that?

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
Thank you, Anthony.

The publisher that owns one of the songs in CIRCUS wants a ridiculous amount (I think $75K) for the rights to release it on DVD/Blu-ray.

Thanks Bob, I downloaded it off of you-tube, but I'd much rather have a proper Blu-ray or DVD - what do you think the chances are it will get released in the future?

I'm sure you've been asked ad naseum about "The Day The Clown Cried" so please forgive me for asking again. I've read that Jerry gave a print to the Library of Congress with a stipulation that it can't be shown until 10 years after Jerry's death. Is this true?

As Jerry's archivist, do you know was the film ever completed (edited, scored, printed)? Or, is what exists incomplete unedited footage?

Bob, on a side note were you on the All Elvis forum as "Honey Talk Nelson" a few months ago?
Anthony

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
We're talking...

Anthony; DTCC was never finished. There is no complete film to screen. Harry Shearer/Spy magazine have fabricated a story about a film that doesn't exist.

I have seen the Harry Shearer story quoted before. Is the film with the LOC or still in Jerry's archives?
could it ever be edited into a complete film?

Looking through My Jerry Lewis DVD's and his filmography I found the following titles made pre-1970, besides 3 Ring Circus not available:

The Sad Sack
Three on a Couch
Way...Way Out
The Big Mouth

what is preventing these from a home video release?

There are also dozens of Colgate Comedy Hour DVD's, are there ones you can recommend that would give me the most footage and best quality? so i don't buy the same thing on different labels.

As for Elvis - your Movie Statistics thread is excellent, I'd like to correspond privately if possible regarding Elvis and film. Is there a way I can send you my email address by not posting it publicly?

thank you
Anthony

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I have seen the Harry Shearer story quoted before. Is the film with the LOC or still in Jerry's archives?
could it ever be edited into a complete film?

Looking through My Jerry Lewis DVD's and his filmography I found the following titles made pre-1970, besides 3 Ring Circus not available:

The Sad Sack
Three on a Couch
Way...Way Out
The Big Mouth

what is preventing these from a home video release?

There are also dozens of Colgate Comedy Hour DVD's, are there ones you can recommend that would give me the most footage and best quality? so i don't buy the same thing on different labels.

As for Elvis - your Movie Statistics thread is excellent, I'd like to correspond privately if possible regarding Elvis and film. Is there a way I can send you my email address by not posting it publicly?

thank you
Anthony
Use the private message feature of HTF to send Bob a message.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks