Medicine Man

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roy O, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Roy O

Roy O Agent

I could not find any information on the movie "Medicine Man"
    through the search function.
    This film was released in 1992 and is one of my wife's favorites. I did find the dvd available with the sound format listed as surround. I was hoping the sound would have at least been 5.1 I believe the sudio was Buena Vista.
    Does anyone have this movie on dvd and your comments please.
    Thanks

2. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

MEDICINE MAN is one of my favorites, too, so I'm sad to inform you that it's a pretty bad DVD. [​IMG]
    The video transfer is pretty pathetic. Looks about like the old laserdisc that I used to have (which wasn't very good either) -- compression artifacts all over the place, all the fleshtones appear orange or light red, grain o' plenty, moire effects throughout (and with all the jungle scenery here, you can imagine how distracting this becomes [​IMG] ). Basically, if you can name a flaw, this one's got it in the video department.
    The audio is pretty good, though. Not great, but respectable. Some nice surround presence, nothing earth-shaking but a solid effort.
    Unless you've just gotta have it I'd recommend spending your money on something better until Disney does right by this one.
    [Edited last by Kenneth English on August 31, 2001 at 04:07 PM]

3. Roy O

Roy O Agent

Wow! This doesn't sound good for my wife. We have it on a VHS tape, but we're just building a small library of dvd's (repalcing the old tapes plus new realeases) and was hoping to add this one. She likes Tremors too. Maybe that will make her happy for the time being.
    I'm real surprised to hear these reviews on Medicine Man.
    This movie, IMO, does deserve more that what it was given from the studio.

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Unfortunately it is not alone. This could (and should) look stunning.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I love jungle movies that really envelope you in the lush green scenery, such as in PREDATOR, AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD, EMERALD FOREST, etc. and I'd have loved this one, too, but for Lorraine Bracco. Good as she was in GOODFELLAS, she really killed it for me. Still, it needs a better transfer.