What's new

Mech Assault (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
PosionJam, great post! Thanks for the info.

Joe, the Vulture takes a little getting used to - you can't play the Vulture if you are going to stay in relatively straight lines. You need to use the Vulture's speed to your advantage. Never stop moving and never make your moves predictable. You also need to master the range of a destroyed mech's splash damage. Make sure you are right at the outer rim so that you can rush in to claim the "booty" that is rightfully yours!

Another tip (one that I'm still trying to master myself) is to become profecient at cycling through your weapons in case another mech is using his AMS (Chaffe) or radar jamming defense.

Finally, it goes without saying that you need to be good at targeting mechs that are using jump jets. If you are good at aiming, another mech's jump jets will never become a problem.

Hope this helps. Why do I feel I just gave away a trade secret.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure I just don't know how to maximize it, but it seemed somewhat slow and no jump jets. Any tips from a Vulture virtuoso?
Playing Douggie (My Catapult) I find the Vulture to be quite problematic actually because of its speed. It can can be difficult to get a good missile lock on it because it can so easily strafe around you. When you do get a lock, a good vulture player can easily get by taking maybe on or two out of four missiles (less damage). All the while pelting you with smaller and faster missiles (which dont do allot of damage but add up!). The problem with the vulture is that its VERY dependant on getting salvage. Its main weapons don't pack allot of hurting but when its grabs some upgrades it can bring the pain.
The Catapult is by far my favorite mech. Its got decent speed (though a little on the slower side). The advantage of having jump jets cannot be overstated on this mech. They will save your butt on many occasions. Since speedily evading missles attacks and powerful laser attacks from the large Atlus mechs aren't the Catapults strong points it needs to rely on its jets to do the evading. At the same time the mech comes equipped with some nice damaging base missiles that can get a good steady lock most of the time. Once it gets ahold of some salvage, man, it can bring it. What I like to the "Purple Haze" (A beam weapon upgrade) firies double purple bursts at an alarmingly fast rate and IT HURTS. The "Red Storm" as I've dubbed it (Quad of 4 red missiles hidden in smoke) are my bread and butter. These missiles can take down a medium armored mech in 4 shots. I could tell you how to defend against and completely neutralize the Catapult but then I'd be ruining my good time:D
Good post by the way Dean.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Okay, all this giant robot talk has convinced me.

I just went out and got a Linksys WAP, a WET11 bridge, the XBox live kit and MechAssault. With any luck it'll be up and running in time for me to get beaten down repeatedly by HTF members while I try to figure out what the hell I'm doing.

about the Vulture - [edit] it sounds like the vulture in mechassault is a completely different mech than in other battletech games.. weird!

Frederick

Second Unit
I've been trying to resist going online with MA until I had some skill under my belt, but you guys sound like you're having WAY too much fun. I'll try and look for you guys this weekend. Add me to the list ...

Freddy C.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Thanks, I'm glad you guys got something out of that huge post. In answer to one of the questions, I assume that a weapon does the same amount of damage regardless of which mech it's on but I didn't test that. That's a good question, and I'll try to figure that out and let you know.
Oscar already answered on the Vulture, but I will just second his statements that the mobility of that mech is what causes the biggest headaches. He is really good at juking and feinting, and I have a hard time establishing a lock on him. Plus the speed of the Vulture means they can swoop in and grab the powerups before my slow Mad Cat can plod over. I haven't really found an effective counter to that; I try to keep my distance and pound away with my heavy artillery (twin charged PPCs and javs), but a good Vulture is very difficult to nail down. I had most of my success against Scar by zapping him from the side while he was engaged with another mech. Not that it helped much.
Romier's "Douggie" Catapult isn't quite as quick, but he uses his jump jets very well to accomplish the same thing--he's impossible to lock onto as well. He also has those quad pulse lasers (which really smart when upgraded) and the same powerful jav missiles that my Mad Cat uses, so he hits very hard. I have a very tough time taking his mech down as well; he manages to make a lot of my expensive (in terms of heat and charge time) attacks miss by jumping or juking, and he counter-punches with a lot of force. My target jamming does me no good against his quad lasers, and I'm too slow to juke out of the way myself. The only time I have ever had even the smallest bit of success was in a Thor, when I tried to stay as close to him as possible and pound away with the quad machine guns. At very close range, missiles will not target you, but of course he was chewing my mech to pieces with those quad lasers. Plus, FutureVoid is awfully good at psychological warfare as well. Nothing more terrifying than to hear him announce, "Okay, from now on my mission in life is to destroy PoisonJam." :eek:

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
The key to killing Romier is to take a mech with a cloaking device and stay hidden, waiting till someone else beats up on him for a bit and then shooting him in the back when he's weak. If that doesn't work, running like hell is a very good option. :)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
He's never weak, though. He darts in and grabs armor and powerups before he can be finished off. And once he gets those powerups, he's even harder to kill because his quad pulse lasers are now doing that much more damage. The more he powers up, the harder he is to kill, and the longer he stays alive, the more he powers up. A bit of a vicious cycle.
That's what makes him so much fun to play against. :)

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so who is on for tonight? I'll be playing from about 9:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. CST. Send me an invite if you see me online.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
What's everyone's game of choice? Mine is Team Destruction in the River City Map. The river and abundance of buildings throws a bit more strategy into the mix.

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
I played a really fun game of MA Team Destruction last night. It was all Elementals vs. 1 Atlas. The elementals are really week and small, much like a guy in a suit of armor than a mech. Then you all probably know what the Atlas is, the big slow, heavy, tough guy. All the elementals team up and try to take out the Atlas. It was a lot of fun!

Chad

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Until further notice, always throw me a MechAssault invite if I'm on after 10pm EST. :) If I don't respond after a couple of invites, then you can assume I'm truly not available for Mech action. :)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm usually on too late for most of you guys. Last night I didn't get on until 10:30 PM PST. One of my problems is that I usually play DAoC with a friend from around 7-9 PM and then spend some time with my wife before logging on to XBox Live. Is anyone else usually on late night? I'm gonna try to get on around 9:00 PST tonight since my wife will be watching The Bachelor. :)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

Thank you. That was very helpful.

Anyone know of a website that lists all the mechs & their varients and what the various weapons are? That would be a great resourse if it existed.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Tim I'm usually just logging off around midnite EST so yor just getting on then, Maybe onthe weekends I'll play a bit later....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks