What's new

Mech Assault (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Good news: Fedex just arrived at my work with MechAssault from ebgames.com.
Bad news: I have to wait till I get off work to actually play.
cough...cough...I think I'm coming down with something...;)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Yeah, I posted in the tag thread that mine came in also. I'm SOOOO itching to play it.

Mike

Frederick

Second Unit
Me too, but GameStop said that I can't pick up my XBox Live kit until the 15th. No matter, I wouldn't be able to play it until then, anyway. Especially since I have WAY too many games right now that I haven't finished (Mario Sunshine, GTA:VC, Hitman). But I can't wait to meet you guys online :D ...
Freddy C.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
My friend just picked up a copy for me at lunch! Gamertag is isyoox, if anyone sees me and wants to play. I have never played before, so I will be bad.

Anyone know where we can pick up Unreal Championship?

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Will,

I might see you online as I also live in Denver and our pings are sure to be good. Can't give a callsign yet as I don't have Live!, but I am itching for this weekend!

Brian E

Screenwriter
The good news is mine was delivered to my office today. :)
The bad news is I had to take today & tomorrow off to take care of my nephew so I won't actually get it until friday. :frowning:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm not too thrilled with the single-player campaign game. I've played through the first four missions. There's not a lot of depth; no reasons to go back and try different approaches or explore different areas. The path so far is completely linear. Also, it doesn't score you (that I've noticed) and you can't track different players' progress. There's no real save functionality to speak of, just keep moving and unlock more missions.

The 'Grinder' mode that is only for offline single console is decent, and should equip you well for one-on-one combat. Make sure and try the different mechs and experiment with different weapons. I played this once; used an Atlas, and made 9 kills before I died. I'm eager to go back with different mechs.

I know this game started development as an offline title, but I think they reduced their efforts in this area after online was added as a feature.

I probably wouldn't recommend paying $50 unless you can play this online or over a LAN. If I were only going to play with 1 or 2 players, I'd wait for the game to be discounted.

However, I'm eagerly looking forward to getting online...hopefully Friday as I didn't get selected for Beta. I'm pretty sure I'll be pleased with my purchase.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I just played it online. Got whupped, but it was defintiely an action packed frag fest. Pretty decent - a great gaming experience (no lag, good graphics etc.) I'll reserve judgement for now, but I've never liked those free-for-all type frag fest kind of multiplayer games. I prefer a little bit of tactics, either team or solo.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
This game is growing on me. Grinder is a good mode to learn the mechs. Last night I played around with Atlas as well, and figured out some nuances of that mech that let me kill about 20 mechs in a row before I got bored and quit. Try using the gun to knock the other mech off of its feet, then switch to missiles and fire, and while those are getting there, blast him with the plasma weapon (I don't know what the weapons are actually called and I think in terms of Halo, sorry). I just waited for mechs at the spawn area and nailed them as soon as they got out. Got pretty boring though (but not in the sense that I am eager to try this out on real people).

I think right now it is just a frag fest, but as people get better there will be more strategy involved. For instance, I played one game online with a light mech, and I was able to turn invisible and fire my charge weapon and cherry pick some kills from a distance. Dirty, yes, but that thing would get slaughtered otherwise. I tried to do the same thing against just one mech last night, and it didn't work so well since he was only looking for me.

I want to invest some time coming up with more strategy, but damn it, there are a lot of mechs to learn and Unreal to play. Hell, my friends are still playing Halo online even though they got this yesterday.

So, want to start a thread where we share our tactics and make the learning curve a little less steep? I think that knock em off their feet move is great. Damn it, giving up all my trade secrets (all of one).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I spent about 4 Hours on MechAssault last night.
It's a pretty sweet game especially after a couple
of Month's of Driving in a Circle

Here's some of my initial Impressions and Wants.

Graphics are Sweet the game is not 16 by nine nor 480p
but it looks nice on my Widescreen Mits none the less.
I wish there was a way to decrease the intensity of the
HUD as I'm slightly worried about burn in. My mits is
calibrated but this game is so addictive I could see
playing it alot. Sound is also phenominal. The 5.1 Rocks.
In fact this is the 1st time the wife complained my Sub
was rattling dishes !

As sweet as the game is there is room for improvement

1. Needs more mission based elements to Multiplayer
maps. So far its mostly random killing or team
based killing. Where's the Capture the flag, Hold
point or some kind of objective?

2. Needs a better method for Team only chat. Everybody
Hears you unless you hold down the Black button
tuff to do in the heat of battle. Also there needs to
be some method to determine who is talking. And some
method for determinine where some one is. If a team
Member is calling for help there is no quick way to locate
them.

3. If you host a game or join a game for that matter there is no
way to continue to play with the same group of guys after a
session ends. You always get bounced back to the main menu.
There should be a way to just change maps etc and stay in the game
Moto GP can do this.

4. There also needs to be more options for Hosts. Can you kick a problem
Player? I don't thinks so.

Hopefully MS adresses some of these issues with the promised downloads
all in all thou a very nice fun addictive game.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,
I actually moved to the D.C. area this summer and only now updated my profile (to add my signature). But I am still up for games; I don't think pings have been much of a problem (we'll see with Unreal, though).
I miss living in LoDo, miss the snow, and will definitely miss the skiing! But I loved watching the Raiders kick Broncos ass! If you want to play me as Denver in NFL 2K3, you can feel better about your football team sucking, because I suck. :)

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
I played about 6 of the single player missions last night...I agree with you Michael, they are nothing special. Out of those 6 missions, I only had to redo one of them once, otherwise I just plowed right through with little to no problem (default difficulty).

Online however is a whole other story...very hectic and very satisfying when you take somebody out. As has been said before though, it is simply a free for all, no tactics. Survival depends on not getting more than one person firing on you at the same time and I was happy just getting out of a round with the same amount of kills as deaths. That being said though, I had a great time playing and am looking forward to improving my skills with the various available mechs.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to start a thread to share successful ways to kill mechs in this game. I love playing games enough to know the fine details, so to start...
I think Grinder is probably a good place to learn the mechs. I was only able to use Atlas last night before I started falling asleep, but here's what I learned...
You can knock a lighter mech down with the ballistic weapon (is that the right term for the weapon with the closed round targeting?). Conveniently, the next weapon that cycles is the missile, which you can fire off, then switch to the plasma weapon or whatever it is and just pump the mech before the missiles even get there. Power ups help tremendously with this, as you can usually blow a mech up before it can even get up again.
Also, as an alternative to just meeting in the middle and trying blow people up, I used the Puma in a game online and was able to NullSig and use my PPC to cherry pick some kills farther away from the action. Otherwise I would have had zero kills.
Some questions. What weapons do the most damage to the environment? (I am assuming there is an advantage to knowing this. Like in Halo a charged plasma pistol will take out a shield even if you have the overshield, and then from there it's still one shot to the head with a pistol, does that make sense?) And how do you get buildings to crash on mechs? For me they just fall straight down. And do powerups just spawn randomly?
I suck at this game, and I want to be dominant, damn it!:)

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting information about the ballistic weapon, I got knocked down once or twice last night (in a catapult) and was wondering how to do that.

I think we should organize a HTF session for this evening where we can mutually agree on the type of mechs (all medium, all Atlases, etc.) duke it out and figure out how things work that way. I tried the grinder last night and got bored with it pretty quick, a little too easy.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It really needs a mode that requires a little strategy.

I'm thinking Capture the Flag.

I know the game is going to have 'downloadable' content, so we can only hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks