What's new

McG to remake "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"... (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
McG to direct Disney's 'Nemo' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

McG to direct Disney's 'Nemo'
'20,000 Leagues' being fast tracked by studio
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Disney has set McG to direct "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo," a family film that is being fast tracked by the studio.
McG, who most recently helmed "Terminator: Salvation," had multiple studios vying for his next slot. Sources said he will be paid $8 million against 7% of gross.

Sean Bailey ("Tron 2.0") is producing with McG's Wonderland Sound and Vision.

Scripted by Bill Marsilli, the film is an origin story of Nemo as he creates his warship, the Nautilus. The characters come from the Jules Verne novel.

The 1954 original "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" was the first live-action film made by Walt Disney, who famously bet his studio on a movie best remembered for the giant squid scene. It became the second-highest grossing film that year and won three Oscars. The film has also been the basis for various rides at the Disney theme park over the years.

Disney hopes to make the film this year.

Warner Bros. releases "Terminator: Salvation" on May 22. Though "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" is expected to be the next film he directs, McG is in discussions to supervise development and direct the next installment of "Terminator." He also will produce through his Wonderland Sound and Vision shingle.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I sure the love the original....I have high hopes! Thanks for the heads up Terry.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
If the movie is a hit, do not be surprised if Disney fast tracks a sequel. Since the movie has a sub-title, the studio looks to be positioning themselves for at least one sequel.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It's funny that the press release states "the 1954 original" yet it certainly wasn't. Even they can't get that right I have a hard time believing they'll be spending too much time on hiring a brain to get a good story.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's a news story, not a press release. As far as we know from this link, the reporter is the only one who got it wrong. Even if it was a press release, ignorance of or failure to mention a couple of obscure silent versions of the story would hardly sound a death knell for the current production. McG's involvement, on the other hand, might. He's a good executive producer, with shows like Chuck under his belt, and I understand We Are Marshall is a good film, but I have a hard time getting past his childish "professional" name.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Wondering if this will be along the lines of the recent Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D? I never did see that one since we don't have 3D theaters here yet.

does look like a good prospect for a "serious" big budget remake that's more than just eyecandy. One has hopes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure he wishes he never used it now. When he used McG for directing videos, it was probably just how his friends knew him but then the industry knew him by that name and he was stuck with it. I guess he could try to use his real and nick names and eventually transition to his real name (a la Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) but that would sound even more moronic to me.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I get the feeling that the industry is quite pleased with what they've seen of Terminator: Salvation, and McG's direction of large-scale action in particular. After all, Warner/Sony already greenlit the next Terminator film, and now Disney is itching to sign the guy to this potential franchise.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sigh, first Bye Bye Birdie (again) now 20000 Leagues Under the Sea. It would be nice if Hollywood would remake films I dislike for once.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
*Stabs self in eyes just thinking about a McG directed remake*

Really, how can you replace James Mason as Nemo? you simply can't! This is going to have BS stunt casting of the worst kind.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Exclusive: McG Wants A Bad Boy To Go 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea! - Movie News - Latest Movie Reviews and trailers

By Kellvin Chavez on January 13, 2009
I am writing this after watching the Terminator Salvation roadshow presentation that I saw with my good buddy Ron Henriques, whose in depth coverage you can read HERE!

Director McG did a hell of job selling the shit out of Terminator Salvation, and if you ask me, I think this guy deserves a chance to prove himself, and will do so with the Christian Bale driven Terminator sequel. There were many questions raised such as whether or not this is a John Connor or Kyle Reese/Marcus film and surprisingly it looks to lean towards the latter.

Anyhow, the bigger story that I have to report came after the presentation. Just like I did for the Watchmen presentation where I got a chance to chat with DC Comics president Paul Levitz and talk about Superman when this sneak peek was over we all went out to have some drinks and got a chance to speak to McG personally.

Ron and I talked a bit with Mcg about any time travel elements within this Terminator story and he explained the origins of the Marcus character and how his journey doesn't involve travellng to the past or present. I also asked him straight out “What the hell. Are we seeing Arnold or not?" to which he responded with a grin saying, “You have to wait and see, can’t give that away cause we’re in the Warner Bros. building and they will shoot me if I say anything”

There I was with Ron and we’re getting our shit to leave, and McG was kind of still hanging out with us while the room emptied.

I continued pressing McG for information and I remembered that at one time he was going to direct SUPERMAN, and he talked about what happened “I actually got fired from that due to my fear of flying.” As to how his vision would have been different he answered “I would’ve made it a much darker film. I like Bryan I think he's a fantastic director and I like Donner too, but I would have made it darker.” And would have he chose Lex Luthor as a villain or another? "DOOMSDAY. I like DOOMSDAY.”

FINALLY I had to go for the kill so then I asked him, “How do you go from Terminator to the Captain Nemo story?”

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
20,000 Leagues is an all-time favorite--hoping for a serious treatment of the subject. Is McG up to the task?

As an aside, does this mean the Disneyland submarine ride will be re-branded/themed again? Not that I have anything against Nemo the fish, but the ride could use a little less "Finding" and a little more "Captain," if you know what I mean.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Not gonna happen when Disney spent $100+ million to upgrade that ride to what it is today.

As far as the remake, I see the following benefits:

1. The 50s classic will get a Blu-ray release as a promotion tie-in.

2. The film has a chance to be a good family adventure film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks