What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

McDonald's Monopoly (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I've often wonderred if real people ever win these games, so I thought I'd start a thread regarding it.

If you've won anything better than a few best buy bucks or cheeseburgers, post away. I'm also interested in getting a complete list of chase pieces.
EDIT: Chase List is complete Thanks to Craig S, Bill Slack

CHASE PIECES

Boardwalk
Kentucky
Mediterranean
Pennsylvania
Short Line
Tennessee
Ventnor
Vermont
Virginia

Participate if you've won anything substantial this year or any other year. ($50 Best Buy cert would count).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm also interested in getting a complete list of chase pieces.
By "chase pieces", do you mean those rare pieces in each grouping - the ones that would make you a winner? If so, I've got a couple more for you. I got Park Place with my first game set, so you can bet Boardwalk is the chase piece for the big million-dollar prize. And in the green group I have both North Carolina & Pacific, so Pennsylvania is surely the chase piece. Edit - this is confirmed by Bill's link below.

If I hear otherwise on the above two groups, I'll be eating every meal at Mickey D's until I complete the sets!! :)

The best game McDonald's ever ran was back in 1976 during the Montreal Olympics. Every game card contained an Olympic event. If the US won a gold in that event, you got a Big Mac. If they won a silver, you got fries, and a bronze got you a Coke. If they won multiple medals in a single event, you got all the associated food prizes.

Now for some reason, my friends and I got an awful lot of game cards with swimming events on them. The US did VERY well in swimming that year, even sweeping a number of events. I know I had at least 2 cards that got me the complete meal, plus a good number of other individual & dual prizes.

Hey, it wasn't big bucks, but it was a pretty good deal for a high-school student back then, expecially since I weighed 125 lbs. and had the metabolism of a hummingbird. All those Big Macs and I didn't put on a pound!! :D Those that met me at the LA HTF meet two years ago know that those days are long gone.

I guess they took a bath on that game, because I don't recall them ever running it again. :frowning:

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

McDonald's definitely re-ran that promotion during the 1984 Summer Olympics. And since that was the olympics when the Soviet Union and their block boycotted, the US completely dominated and won medals in most all the events. I think McD's did take a major bath on that one.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
The McDonalds in my town gave away a 10,000 dollar winner a few years ago. This was when they had problems about the Monopoly game being rigged. So to right the wrong, they walked into our McDonalds and picked someone sitting down enjoying a nice lunch. They just walked up and said, you just won 10,000 dollars.
For me, I have only won a few Breakfast sandwiches.:)
I'm still happy

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
I think most people would be happy just winning a free sandwich or something because we all don't go crazy and buy 100 large french fries to get all the tickets, it's not like the lottery =) i've won 5 dollars and it went back to them =)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I currently have 10.00 in best buy bucks (10- 1.00 tix)

save up a 100 and go buy some movies...lol

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
McDonald's definitely re-ran that promotion during the 1984 Summer Olympics. And since that was the olympics when the Soviet Union and their block boycotted, the US completely dominated and won medals in most all the events. I think McD's did take a major bath on that one.
This was referenced in a Simpsons episode (Lisa's First Word).

Accountant: Great spot, K. C.
Krusty: Put a sock in it, preppy. How much are these free burgers gonna cost me?
Accountant: Not to worry, Mr. K. We've rigged the cards: they're all in events that Communists never lose.
Krusty: I like, I like.
Woman: This just came over the wires, Big K.
Krusty: [reads] Uh-huh. Soviet boycott. U.S. unopposed in most events. How does this affect our giveaway?
Accountant: Let's see. [calculates] You personally stand to lose $44 million.

Krusty: You people are pigs! I will personally spit into every fiftieth burger!
Homer: I like those odds! :D

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
The biggest prize I've ever won in a McDonald's giveaway are the two extra value meals I've won in this current Monopoly game. Oh, and the $7 in Best Buy bucks I've accrued so far.

The most I've ever won came about 10-12 years ago in another Monopoly game. This was back when the game pieces weren't attached to your drink, fries, etc. It was toward the end of the game, and one of the local McDonald's had been rather stingy in handing out their game pieces. As a result, they had a ton left, and there was only a week or so left on the promotion. Me and a friend went through and the cashier asked if we wanted some of their leftover game pieces. We said "sure", and she handed us a huge stack of them, 200-300 total. We won a ton of free sandwiches, drinks and fries, and gorged ourselves on McDonald's for the next week until they expired.

The same friend, either the year before or the year after, went in and asked for a free gamepiece. The sign they had in the store said "No Purchase Necessary", but didn't stipulate that you needed to send in a SASE to get it. The cashier refused, and was very rude to him about it. He complained to the manager, and the manager was just as rude. He then asked for the regional manager's phone number. The manager quickly changed his tune, and said he'd give my friend a big stack of game pieces if he promised not to call, or ask for anymore free. He agreed, and got a similarly sized stack to the one above. He didn't win anything big, but he treated everyone to McDonald's for the next couple weeks.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Hopefully this time they'll give away the big prizes for real, not like they did in 2001.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
What gets you the game pieces? A full value meal, or just like a large fries?

I've collected about 6 Best Buy bucks (thanks to some friends who clearly don't understand that a few free dollars certainly add up when you're staring at the new Indy DVD set) and I wanna get some more. ;)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Large & super-size fries both come with two Monopoly game pieces, and one Best Buy piece. You don't have to buy the meal - you can just get the fries.

Large drinks also come with two Monopoly game pieces, but do NOT have the Best Buy pieces on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks