What's new

Maybe we should petition NOW for a proper AR release of Evil Dead On BD. (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys,

I was thinking that maybe we should start sending the signal to Anchor Bay/Starz now BEFORE they even announce plans for Evil Dead on Blu ray.

Now other more knowledgeable people can come in with the actual facts but I don't think 1:1.85 is the right AR for the original Evil Dead and we should let them know NOW that we would appreciate a brand new transfer at 1080p24 with the proper AR.

Now many think it should be 4:3 but we all know that many studios will want to avoid non-widescreen releases (Thank God Casablanca is OAR). Normaly I would fight for 4:3 but it is obvious that it never (or almost) screened in theatres at 4:3

I have seen it at the movies here in Montreal every 3-4 years at repertory theaters and it never played 4:3

It was also obvious to me that masked at 1:1.85 there is too much detail lost.

I forget the exact source but I remember somebody quoting a book where Sam Raimi mentioning that the intended AR was 1:1.66 which is why I was so surprised that Bruce Campbell supervised a transfer at 1:1.85 for the Book Of The Dead edition.

I personaly think that 1.66 is the perfect comprise. It is most likely the theatrical AR and isn't this part of the mission statement of this forum?

Anyway, just thought I would start this to get some thoughts going. If we want a different AR than what has been released so far now might be a good time to do it since I am sure this movie needs a new transfer before it goes on BD anyway.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Firstly, I agree that either a 1.33:1 or 1.66:1 version should be included in Anchor Bay/Starz's forthcoming Evil Dead BD (whenever that might be). Secondly, I don't really mind if they include the 1.85:1 version if the above is also included.

That said, both Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, and, probably, Army of Darkness all need new transfers. DNR has been laid on pretty thick in all their recent SD DVD releases, and the Evil Dead II BD is horid in this regard. The DNR has reportedly been 'baked into' the master of Evil Dead II, so it is likely 'back to the drawing board' if things are going to look right.

Anchor Bay/Starz has gone to the well enough with these titles that I think they owe it to the film's fans to do it right with the next BD releases. If they're done well, Deadites will have no qualms upgrading when the time comes. I know I won't.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
is the frame rate of 16mm still 24fps, or is it something different? if we are to hope for a new 2K scan of this film, hopefully they'll keep true to the frame rate. didn't I read somewhere that Anchor Bay is losing all rights to the Evil Dead films? If this is the case, then I can't see AB investing in doing these all over again. Dip again, AB. It'll be soon time to pressure the new distributor for new transfers.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hmmm I agree that if they are loosing the rights then it is unlikely they will invest in new transfers. too bad for us fans. However if not as mentioned earlier they have milked these enough to warrant a new transfer.

there is no excuse, do it right.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

24fps is the standard frame rate for all sound film except that being shot for PAL television which is 25fps.

Some Super8 sound cameras will shoot sound at 18fps, but 24 is considered standard.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks