What's new

May Releases: The Big Red One SE, Battle of the Bulge and others (1 Viewer)

Hans-Inge Lango

Auditioning
I reviewed the new DVD of The Big Red One for our school paper last week, and while I can't say too much about the difference between the two cuts, the DVD itself is a winner.

Though it is a bit too grainy at times, the transfer is quite wonderful. The new 5.1 is also nice, but I did not have a chance to listen to the original track.

As for the extras, I watched the two docs, and those were both informative and engaging.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
My friend showcased The Big Red One extended version in 35mm at his cinema house (the old Hemet Theater in Hemet, California) a while back...and must say fans of this much underrated film will be in for a treat when it finally gets released in widescreen on video (I would like a HD version, but a nice DVD transfer will do for now :D )!

As for Battle of the Bulge...have seen it aired in HD on the HDNet Movie channel; it will be hard to beat in terms of resolution...but here again, a nice DVD transfer will do until an optical HD format make it available to the video consumer masses...

-THTS

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I was just watching The Dirty Dozen from this box set and noticed that Warner decided to drop the short 9:15 featurette on this new issue... any ideas why?

I haven't owned either the previous WB or MGM disc but can only assume from what I see that the transfer must have been the same among all three.

I'm gonna track down an older MGM or WB snapper copy of the film to switch discs with the one in this case. Has anyone noticed any other minor extras missing from an of the other reissued films in this box set?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

If it's non-anamorphic then yes it is. Warner needs to address this film with a proper anamorphic presentation and perhaps make it a SE. This is one of the best action films made in the 1960s and it needs to reflect such a status.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks