What's new

Masters of the Air (2024) (2 Viewers)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I liked the first episode. Looking forward to see where it goes.

My wife, a stickler for historical accuracy, says that Austin Butler’s hair in the first scene was wrong for the time period. She’s stopped watching other content before when there are inaccuracies like this. But she’s going to continue to watch this one, because she liked the other 2 series (BoB, Pacific).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Viewed episode one earlier today. A solid premiere episode that does a pretty good job of establishing the series. I have read some critiques of the show that criticize the detail the series goes into depicting the operation of the bomber with an endless list of actions, checks, etc. associated with flying the craft. While I think the criticism has some basis, it really didn't bother me. Some of the details were sort of interesting in a minutiae sort of way. (I had never seen a flare gun used in the way it was depicted in episode one, for instance.)

I tend to always have problems keeping track of all the characters that shows with large ensembles throw at the viewer in the premiere, and this series was no exception. The show does provide some character introduction, so this is more of an adjustment for me vs. a failing of the series.

Strong production values as was expected. The flight sequences were probably the highlight of episode one, with the series capturing the chaotic nature of air combat, with the bombers taking enemy fire from both the ground and the air. Looking forward to tracking the progress of the 100th as the series continues.

- Walter.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Watched the 2 available episodes and it was okay.

I guess I was expecting more action, maybe in future episodes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought the first two episodes were fantastic. Perfect blend of character building and spectacular suspenseful air combat sequences. A worthy successor to Band Of Brothers and The Pacific.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first episode last night, I thought it was well done as well. The actors chosen I felt had an Interesting look because some of them were not the perfect Hollywood looking male models. So that added more realism. And they looked young, which I imagine is how it was

I’m a fan of the film Memphis Belle too, so comparisons of course were in my head. I could not help to also think of comparisons to a segment of Spielberg’s Amazing Stories where a B-17 has a landing gear that won’t come down after returning from a mission. But in that show, the landing gear did come down, but it was a fantasy solution.

One thing I thought wasn’t as good as it could be, the sound wasn’t very loud during the flying sequences and I expected to hear some surround activity during the bombing mission. I’m not a frequent watcher of Apple+ shows, so maybe it’s an issue with an Apple TV setting or something else?

I look forward to watching a few more episodes.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
2nd episode was pretty good as well.

Hopefully this is not the structure of each episode... ie., some character stuff for the 1st half, then a bombing mission.

Switch it up a little to make it more unexpected.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I watched episode one. I like these kinds of films and stories, films like Command Decision, Twelve O'Clock High and Memphis Belle. I rewatched the 12 O'Clock High TV series when it was on Amazon Prime the past year.

Based on a true story of brotherhood and American airmen in WWII Europe.

American Airmen portrayed by:

Main cast:
Austin Butler (American)
Callum Turner (British)
Anthony Boyle (Irish)
Barry Keoghan (Irish)
Nikolai Kinski (French, with that name?)
Stephen Campbell Moore (British)
Sawyer Spielberg (American-and related to someone?)
James Murray (English)

Of the 15 Guest Actors in the series from the source I used, 14 were English and one Australian.
So Americans can't play Americans any more in movies about Americans? I looked up the cast of
The Boys in the Boat, a story about the University of Washington rowing team, and their quest to
compete in the 1936 Summer Olympics and all but one of the rowers and coaches are played by
British, Scottish, Canadian and Australian actors.

No wonder SAG went on strike last year, they weren't doing anything here anyway.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched episode one. I like these kinds of films and stories, films like Command Decision, Twelve O'Clock High and Memphis Belle. I rewatched the 12 O'Clock High TV series when it was on Amazon Prime the past year.

American Airmen portrayed by:

Main cast:
Austin Butler (American)
Callum Turner (British)
Anthony Boyle (Irish)
Barry Keoghan (Irish)
Nikolai Kinski (French, with that name?)
Stephen Campbell Moore (British)
Sawyer Spielberg (American-and related to someone?)
James Murray (English)

Of the 15 Guest Actors in the series from the source I used, 14 were English and one Australian.
So Americans can't play Americans any more in movies about Americans? I looked up the cast of
The Boys in the Boat, a story about the University of Washington rowing team, and their quest to
compete in the 1936 Summer Olympics and all but one of the rowers and coaches are played by
British, Scottish, Canadian and Australian actors.

No wonder SAG went on strike last year, they weren't doing anything here anyway.
I’m having the same issues with the casting in regard to movies and TV series based on actual events.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
By the way, one of the real life crew portrayed in the series, Harry H. Crosby, wrote a book of his experiences titled A Wing and a Prayer. It was published in 1993. After I'd read it, there were a couple questions I had about something and I decided to write him a letter, which I did. He graciously wrote back and answered everything I asked of him.

I wasn't averse to writing authors about things I've read of theirs, so it wasn't out of the ordinary for me to do so, but it's more than ordinary when any of them actually reply and to the extent he did. I was quite pleased.

By the way, if anyone has further interest in the 8th Air Force I recommend a rather recent documentary film titled The Cold Blue. Nine 8th Air Force veterans were interviewed about their experiences in the summer of 1943. While telling their stories we see color footage that had undergone a frame by frame 4k restoration; all of the raw color footage that William Wyler shot for his Memphis Belle documentary that had been recently discovered in the vaults of the National Archives. To call it stunning is an understatement.

William Wyler's Documentary about the Memphis Belle is also included on the Blu-Ray and it's been restored like you've never seen it before. Also has audio commentary by the director of The Cold Blue and William Wyler's daughter Catherine. Also has a short documentary about the restoration and another titled The Flying Fortress Experience.

HTF link about that release:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I've watched the first two episodes, I've liked what I've seen so far. Looking forward to episode 3.

Mark

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
By the way, one of the real life crew portrayed in the series, Harry H. Crosby, wrote a book of his experiences titled A Wing and a Prayer. It was published in 1993. After I'd read it, there were a couple questions I had about something and I decided to write him a letter, which I did. He graciously wrote back and answered everything I asked of him.

I wasn't averse to writing authors about things I've read of theirs, so it wasn't out of the ordinary for me to do so, but it's more than ordinary when any of them actually reply and to the extent he did. I was quite pleased.

By the way, if anyone has further interest in the 8th Air Force I recommend a rather recent documentary film titled The Cold Blue. Nine 8th Air Force veterans were interviewed about their experiences in the summer of 1943. While telling their stories we see color footage that had undergone a frame by frame 4k restoration; all of the raw color footage that William Wyler shot for his Memphis Belle documentary that had been recently discovered in the vaults of the National Archives. To call it stunning is an understatement.

William Wyler's Documentary about the Memphis Belle is also included on the Blu-Ray and it's been restored like you've never seen it before. Also has audio commentary by the director of The Cold Blue and William Wyler's daughter Catherine. Also has a short documentary about the restoration and another titled The Flying Fortress Experience.

HTF link about that release:
I have The Cold Blue blu ray and agree, it’s extraordinary footage of the crews and flights.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I watched the second episode last night. Does anyone else think a lot of it is filmed way too dark and monochromatic? It's a choice. Look at the actual color documentary footage shot by Wyler in the The Cold Blue. Look at the film Memphis Belle. Neither of those is filmed that way.

It's been something I've been critical of for many years now; fiIming things in shades of brown/yellow and-or blue/gray. I want filmmakers to normally just shoot what looks natural and stop playing around with it. Another example, look at John Ford's actual color footage shot of the battle of Midway and how the 2019 Midway film looks.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
You'd think with so many characters to get to know you'd want the audience to be able to see them at least so you'd know who they are.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Spectacular third episode. Set almost entirely in the air, this was one of the most tense suspenseful episodes of TV I’ve seen.

These B-17 flying fortresses were like sitting ducks for the luftwaffe and this episode showed that vulnerability in graphic detail. Death could come at any second in a variety of ways.

My one complaint is that it’s hard to tell who is who with their masks on but that’s a minor nitpick. I’m loving this series.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the second episode last night. I enjoyed it as well.

I agree it’s like a modern day 12 0’Clock High 1960’s TV series.

I’m not feeling there is an issue with the muted color design cinematography. It still looks colorful, but I think it’s a choice to give it a look of faded color stills from the 1940’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks