What's new

Masters of the Air (2024) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

‘Masters Of The Air’: Austin Butler And Callum Turner To Star in ‘Band Of Brothers’ Sequel For Apple, Amblin & Playtone

The latest event series in the Band of Brothers, Masters of the Air is gaining some series momentum at Apple Studios as Elvis star Austin Butler and Callum Turner have been tapped to star in the new miniseries. Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television and Tom Hanks & Gary Goetzman’s Playtone will produce

Based on the compelling book by Donald L. Miller, Masters of the Air follows the true, deeply personal story of the American bomber boys in World War II who brought the war to Hitler’s doorstep. The series is written by Band of Brothers alumnus John Orloff and Emmy and Golden Globe winner Graham Yost, who are also co-executive producing. Produced by Apple Studios, Steven Spielberg will executive produce through Amblin Television, alongside executive producers Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman for Playtone. Amblin Television’s Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey and Playtone’s Steven Shareshian serve as co-executive producers. Alex Maggioni will oversee the day-to-day development of the project for Amblin, alongside Spielberg, Frank and Falvey.

SDave

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Been waiting on this one. I’ll have to squeeze in a rewatch of Band of Brothers and The Pacific before this hits.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When I saw this thread, I said what on earth is this thing?!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I used to spend a lot of time flying WW2 flight simulators online. This is my favorite period of wartime aviation. Looking forward to this series.

Baenwort

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cee
After playing Kesmai's AirWarrior series as the formative online game of my youth (Big Week scenario series was very formative for teenaged me) I'm realllllly hoping this gets a disk release!

The book was great and the effects in this look good so far.

YANG

Screenwriter
and this series... have no relation to either Memphis Belle or Battle of Britain.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
and this series... have no relation to either Memphis Belle or Battle of Britain.
The Memphis Belle was just one story regarding American air forces in Europe during WWII. The Americans began flying bombing operations over Germany from the UK in 1942. The Battle of Britain took place in 1940 prior to the United States entering WWII in December 1941 in which United Kingdom pilots successfully won the skies over the UK from German air forces.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Looking forward to watching this series.

Here is a WWII bomber for you.

From the Steven F Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia. Its a Smithsonian Annex of sorts. I took this photo in 2021. This is from the upper level looking over the restoration area.

Sharp eyes will notice what doesn't belong there, LOL.

Flak-Bait. B-26B Marauder (Medium Bomber)

During the course of its 202 (207 including its five decoy missions[2]) bombing missions over Germany as well as the Netherlands, Belgium, and France, Flak-Bait lived up to its name by being shot with over 1,000 holes, returned twice on one engine (once with the disabled engine on fire), lost its electrical system once and its hydraulic system twice. Despite the level of damage it received, none of Flak-Bait's crew were killed during the war and only one was injured. Over two years of operations Flak Bait accumulated 725 hours of combat time and participating in bombing missions in support of the Normandy Landings, the Battle of the Bulge, and Operation Crossbow against V-1 flying bomb sites.[1][2][3]

flakbait.jpg

B-26 crews gave the aircraft the nickname "Widowmaker".[6] Other colorful nicknames included "Martin Murderer", "Flying Coffin", "B-Dash-Crash", "Flying Prostitute" (so-named because it was so fast and had "no visible means of support", referring to its small wings) and "Baltimore Whore" (a reference to the city where Martin was based).[15]

Last edited:

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
So last weekend I found an awesome YouTube military history channel with tons of great videos (The Fat Electrician). If you like them told with vigor, sarcasm and humor, this channel is for you.

Enjoy. NSFW (language)

Awesome story about Pacific WWII Bad Boy B-17 crew

RAF legless pilot Sir Douglas Bader

Inspiration for The Dirty Dozen

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not yet. As much as I would like to view it this evening, I am holding off until Saturday to view it with a friend.

- Walter.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched the first two episodes with my spouse. We liked it! Has some realism in it, not surprisingly. Helps you visualize some of what it was like to be in a B-17.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Watched episode one. Loved it. Perfect mix of probably accurate macho flyboy cliches and gripping action scenes. I expected more of a CGI look, but it looks like real B-17's all over the place. The only CGI-looking parts were some of the terrain shots. Music score has a sense of drama and import and heroism. Looks like it'll be the air equivalent of Band of Brothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks