What's new

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Blu-ray December 10th, 2013 (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
@ John Morgan

Unfortunately while they fixed Dracula in the Universal Monsters Boxset they forgot to redo The Wolfman, terrible edge enhancement on that one.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
rich_d said:
Jon/ahollis,

I think we can all make the mental leap that we're not solving world hunger here. This is a discussion board where I'm sure there are those that would consider that whole entire premise to be a "waste of time" including your combined 6 thousand plus posts. Happy?

To my way of thinking, when early signs point to issues that *might* be problematic there are two choices.

1. Raise the issues on the chance that things might be amiss with a widely beloved film, on the off-chance that it might influence the powers-that-be (as John Morgan describes above).

2. This.

see_hear_speak_1.jpg

At the very least, maybe Disney will transfer some exec's second cousin over to HR rather than allowing him to mess with promotional video anymore.
If it was not Disney I would say pointing out possible problems could make a difference but all the out cry over the classic animation transfers has not changed a thing.

Also if you would read my posts instead of just counting then you would find that I look at the glass half full and not half empty.

I just don't see any reason to to panic over a trailer that maybe was quickly produced. That is just my opinion as you have yours.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
rich_d said:
Jon/ahollis,

I think we can all make the mental leap that we're not solving world hunger here. This is a discussion board where I'm sure there are those that would consider that whole entire premise to be a "waste of time" including your combined 6 thousand plus posts. Happy?

To my way of thinking, when early signs point to issues that *might* be problematic there are two choices.

1. Raise the issues on the chance that things might be amiss with a widely beloved film, on the off-chance that it might influence the powers-that-be (as John Morgan describes above).

2. This.

see_hear_speak_1.jpg

At the very least, maybe Disney will transfer some exec's second cousin over to HR rather than allowing him to mess with promotional video anymore.

Jon,

The bolded parts of your post read as fact, not opinion. If you have insider information that that is indeed the case, please let us know.
rick-d,

Unlike the Hitchcock discs, all that anyone has seen at this point is a trailer, not the actual transfer. If you wish to believe you are accomplishing something by discussing that trailer, no one is stopping you. And if you have insider information that the trailer is indeed the same as the transfer, please share. As for me, I'll wait for feedback on the actual transfer. Life is too short to play "what if."

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Doug Bull said:
Anyhow here is the scene for comparison sake as scanned from the 35mm print itself.

attachicon.gif
mp26.jpg

Doug.
Just for fun I took captures of the same frame from the Gold Edition DVD and the Japanese laserdisc. The Gold DVD is pretty true to the film scan, IMO, and a bit is taken off the top and bottom in both cases. The Gold frame measure 1.81:1 by my arithmetic, and the laserdisc 1.87. I had forgotten how fantastic the sound is on the Japanese laserdisc; it was probably done before they added too much noise reduction and dulled the highs. Also, despite the obvious limitations of video on laserdisc in today's terms, I enjoy it because there is a bit of dirt, a bit of minus density, and some gate weave. Ah, it looks like film!

MP_Practically_Perfect_Capture_Gold.JPG

MP_Practically_Perfect_Capture_JapLaser.JPG

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Its a pet hate of mine that so many classic films with magnetic soundtracks have poor high frequencies on the sound mix we get on blu ray, sometimes it's because the highs are just not there anymore since they tend to be the first thing to go on magnetic tracks but i wish they could have done more to preserve them on The Sound Of Music ( as one example ) and i hope they are on Mary Poppins.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
It's been reported (and seems obvious) that some of the nannies answering the advertisement were men in drag. However, does anyone else wonder whether one of the nannies is actually a famous actor or his stunt double?

Attachments

• Nannies.jpg
    Nannies.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Ed_Wynn_nanny.jpg
    Ed_Wynn_nanny.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 62

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
That would be awesome! But no, it's a stuntman. All of the ones who blew away were stuntmen in drag.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
rich_d said:
It's been reported (and seems obvious) that some of the nannies answering the advertisement were men in drag. However, does anyone else wonder whether one of the nannies is actually a famous actor or his stunt double?
Looks more like Peter Sellers than Ed Wynn. :D

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
For those who can't wait and want to save money.

"Mary Poppins" gets a Blu-Ray release in the UK on November 18.
Listed pre-order price is only 11 pounds which works out at about $18 US dollars and Amazon UK lists it as Region Free.

For most overseas buyers the price drops to a low 9.17 UK Pounds once the VAT (tax) is removed.

I just pre-ordered.

maryp-uk.jpg

Doug.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
As an adult, I keep visualizing all those nannies plopping into the Thames after they've blown away. Maybe I've seen that Scary Mary trailer too many times?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Doug Bull said:
For those who can't wait and want to save money.

"Mary Poppins" gets a Blu-Ray release in the UK on November 18.
Listed pre-order price is only 11 pounds which works out at about $18 US dollars and Amazon UK lists it as Region Free.

For most overseas buyers the price drops to a low 9.17 UK Pounds once the VAT (tax) is removed.

I just pre-ordered.

attachicon.gif
maryp-uk.jpg

Doug.
That's great. Just be aware it appears that the DVD version of the film, included in the US release of the blu ray is not included in the UK version.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Mary Poppins was shown last night at Grauman's as part of the AFI Fest. Here's a nice clip of Dick Van Dyke on the red carpet. Halfway through he holds up the new blu-ray. Thought I'd post this here as it's a nice little preview of the slip cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.