What's new

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture 50th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray) Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

147610_slip.jpg

The Motion Picture * The Wrath of Khan * The Search for Spock  * The Voyage Home * The Final Frontier * The Undiscovered Country

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Carabimero said:
So I am dreaming if I hope these were pressed from 4K masters? I'm assuming if they were, Paramount wouldn't be shy about telling us.

I've seen absolutely nothing anywhere to give any indication that it was a new master of any kind, be it 4K or 2K or HD. I agree, if they had been new, Paramount would be shouting it from the rooftops.

For what it's worth, in 2014 I got to see a 35mm print of "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home", and even though the print had scratches and some fade, it was a far more pleasurable experience than the Blu-ray, and that's too bad. "Superman IV" doesn't get a lot of love from anyone, but Warner gave that a better transfer than Paramount gave "Star Trek IV".

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Since this is coming so early in the year, I'd like to think that it's a stopgap release, and that maybe they are planning something more elaborate for the fall (either around the time of the actual 50th anniversary, or the disc/digital release of Beyond). But then, why go to the trouble of making new cover art?

Disappointing, though. Aside from Wrath of Khan and a couple others, most of these transfers already looked pretty questionable even when first released in 2009.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Nobody knew about the new Terminator 2 disc being a non-DNR version of the Skynet edition, and that was a pleasant surprise.

So, maybe this could be the case too?

Although, yes, I'm not optimistic too.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Since Bad Robot has been involved with this new 4K remaster of Phantasm, maybe they could do the same for a couple of the Star Trek films.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Not even a digital copy of the movies included. Doesn't seem to be anything here for fans who already own the movies. Seems the 50th anniversary will be more about Best of sets and perhaps a TV special promoting the new movie and the new CBS All Access Trek TV series.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Now, if this set included a Blu-ray of the STTMP, they would sell a ton of them to those willing to buy it for the one title alone, which for many of us would amount to the fourth or fifth time we have imbibed through the various formats. But as that is apparently not happening, then Paul is right -- a wasted opportunity!

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
^^ Think you meant to say STTMP director's cut.

So another missed opportunity with an anniversary date but I am hopeful that the next time the movie collection is released, it will be from 4k remasters and on Ultra HD. It will have to be. That is the next "logical" step. :)

It remains to be seen how the new format pans out this year, though. As usual, we need good titles and inexpensive hardware.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Jeff Robertson said:
^^ Think you meant to say STTMP director's cut.

So another missed opportunity with an anniversary date but I am hopeful that the next time the movie collection is released, it will be from 4k remasters and on Ultra HD. It will have to be. That is the next "logical" step. :)

It remains to be seen how the new format pans out this year, though. As usual, we need good titles and inexpensive hardware.
Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Konstantinos said:
Nobody knew about the new Terminator 2 disc being a non-DNR version of the Skynet edition, and that was a pleasant surprise.

So, maybe this could be the case too?

Although, yes, I'm not optimistic too.

That probably only happened with T2 because Van Ling (who used to post on this site) received negative feedback about the DNR on the Skynet disc and likely passed that along to the technicians.

Paramount on the other hand...they could not care less.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
So I guess it's pretty much confirmed that the new sets contain the exact same discs as before?

To be fair, Paramount is not the only studio to celebrate big anniversaries with recycled discs. Universal's Back to the Future 30th Anniversary was made of the same movie discs as before (despite a better version of at least the first film showing on TV and in theaters over the past few years), and MGM has put out the same versions of the Bond movies 2 or 3 times now.

Of course, the difference with Bond is that most of those look pretty good (with a couple of notable exceptions). Most of the Trek films (especially the original crew's, aside from II) looked pretty bad even when first released in 2009. Even TMP, while not as overly sharpened as III-VI, has a very "video-y" sheen to it.

Does anyone know if the digital versions of these films are from the same source as the Blu-rays? Or if maybe they're from the same source, but without all the DNR?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I don't think digital files are included with the new sets.
These will be the same transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks