What's new

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Blu-ray December 10th, 2013 (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Eric,
The credit sequence seems a little softer (sharpness wise) and there is a fair amount of grain present.
I'm wondering if that is a result of the opticals.
mp12.jpg

Frame as scanned.

Also all of the live characters in the combined Animated sequences are extremely soft.
mary21.jpg

Animation below is much sharper.
mary14.jpg

Doug.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Sorry this a little off topic but evidently I have an ad blocker on the iPhone and would love to turn it off. Any know? Thanks.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
warnerbro said:
Amazon is claiming a 1.66:1 aspect ratio. I hope this is correct. I'm also hoping for a music only track.
I'd rather it be 1.75:1, but I'm also hoping for the music-only track as well. :)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
My actual 35mm film scans show that "Mary Poppins" is most definitely not 1.66:1

The only other possibility is that the print I was able to access is a reissue print with an altered matte.
That's a possibility I guess.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Disney in the 60's and 70's would send out instruction letters to the theatre owners and projectionists all signed by Irving Ludwig, who was VP of Distribution for Buena Vista, and someone not to second guess. I saw many of those letters in a file in the mid 70's in a theatre that was an exclusive Disney house. Except for the scope films the letters all indicated the films were to be 1.75:1 or 1.85:1. I do not recall any that suggested 1.66:1. I believe all features at that theatre played 1.85:1 at that time regardless of instructions. I guess they did second guess him. I meet the gentleman in latter years after his retirement and still would not second guess him.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
While I have no idea what the upcoming Poppins aspect ratio will be, I can tell you that many of the Disney HD masters that are now available on iTunes from that era are 1.66:1. So someone at Disney is making the call to put the bulk of their catalog at that aspect ratio.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The image on the bluray 50th anniversary trailer looks horrible. It is washed out and there is a horrible green noise grain on the shots of Dick Van Dyke in the park scenes. I'm guessing this is not the same print used for the bluray release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First, I don't want to state something I know may not be true....

However, I would *think* if Disney is promoting the new Blu-ray of
Mary Poppins they are using the exact print used for the Blu-ray release.

Why would you not?

Secondly, I had to look at the trailer again on YouTube, and I personally
cannot see any abnormalities. Realize, this is a YouTube trailer that is
being streamed. In regular window size it's hard to tell if there are any
problems. Full-screen on my 27" iMac monitor I see all kinds of issues
being introduced with the streaming even at a 1080p setting.

The scenes race from one to another, not really giving enough time for
one to evaluate any potential transfer problems, in my opinon.

Again, I am guessing a trailer for a restored Mary Poppins is going to
contain the actual transfer. However, to judge it via this YouTube
trailer seems a little preposterous to me.

That's just my personal take on this.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The trailer I watched was in full HD on THE MUPPET MOVIE bluray. I still framed on some of the shots of Dick Van Dyke in the park.. It looks horrible with some kind of weird grain structure. I hope this is not a sample of the bluray release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gotcha!

I will have to open my copy of The Muppet Movie today and look at it.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Ronald Epstein said:
First, I don't want to state something I know may not be true....However, I would *think* if Disney is promoting the new Blu-ray ofMary Poppins they are using the exact print used for the Blu-ray release.Why would you not?
Because in the past the trailers have been made up of clips from older transfers, that's why. The marketing department creates these trailers sometimes well ahead of a completed restored master being made available to them.Is it stupid to advertise a beautiful HD release using less than ideal clips? Sure, but have you seen the ridiculously false "before and after" restoration images they sometimes use?I doubt any part of the trailer is indicative of what will be on the released Blu-ray. For reference, check out the Blu-ray trailers for SLEEPING BEAUTY and THE ARISTOCATS that were on other Disney Blu-ray Discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.