What's new

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Blu-ray December 10th, 2013 (1 Viewer)

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
John Maher_289910 said:
When I first saw MARY POPPINS (at The Midtown Theatre, in Philadelphia), in the first week of its run, it had an intermission after "Stay Awake". When I went back to see it (at the same theater, months later), it did not.
I saw "Mary Poppins" at Grauman's Chinese shortly after it opened. At that time it had an intermission. I can't remember for sure, but I think the intermission was after the "I Love to laugh" scene.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
It was definitely after STAY AWAKE when I saw it. As I said, I went back, months later, with a bunch of kids, to see it again, and it was so popular, they were sold out for days, and were selling tickets for future dates. We bought the tickets for a week later, and went across the street to see another Disney film (which seems to have disappeared), EMIL AND THE DETECTIVES which, as I recall it, we all liked.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Robin9 said:
+ The Runner Stumbles
Dick Van Dyke is wonderful and a highly underrated actor. His performance in MARY POPPINS is my favorite by an actor in any film from 1964. Now, all we hear about is his accent, as if that has anything to do with how great his action, reaction and emoting is in the role. Nobody cared about his accent in 1964, and I still don't care. It was suggestive enough to make him different from the rest, and that's good enough for me. He's the heart of the film, as far as I'm concerned.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
westham said:
UK release is out today - I have a copy and it seems to have most of the USA listed bonus features but certainly doesn't have the 7.1 audio. Quite surprised by this - 5.1 DTS-HD audio only. I have attached a scan of the rear cover below.Picture quality is OK'ish. Expected a lot more perhaps but this one looks like it has quite a lot of grain compared to the trailer I looked at.Scan 2.jpeg
Those Brits sure have some bizarre syntax in their ratings systems. "Fit for viewing by persons generally?"

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
John Maher_289910 said:
Dick Van Dyke is wonderful and a highly underrated actor. His performance in MARY POPPINS is my favorite by an actor in any film from 1964. Now, all we hear about is his accent, as if that has anything to do with how great his action, reaction and emoting is in the role. Nobody cared about his accent in 1964, and I still don't care. It was suggestive enough to make him different from the rest, and that's good enough for me. He's the heart of the film, as far as I'm concerned.
In interviews Mr. Van Dyke himself often scoffs his attempted cockney accent in POPPINS, so no harm done if we offer gentle jibes as well. But I agree that there is absolutely no reason to criticize his performance based on that "cartoon" accent. He was wisely cast as both Bert and the elder Mr. Dawes, and his energy and warmth alone would be enough reason watch the film even if everyone else in it wasn't great. (Which they are.)

westham

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Ethan Riley said:
Those Brits sure have some bizarre syntax in their ratings systems. "Fit for viewing by persons generally?"
The scan shows the British film board with a 'U' rating meaning 'Universal - suitable for all' and it is the most family friendly classification. The 'G' or 'Fit for viewing by persons Generally' is from the Irish film classification service as the Blu Ray is also marketed and sold in Ireland too ;-)

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
John Maher_289910 said:
It was definitely after STAY AWAKE when I saw it. As I said, I went back, months later, with a bunch of kids, to see it again, and it was so popular, they were sold out for days, and were selling tickets for future dates. We bought the tickets for a week later, and went across the street to see another Disney film (which seems to have disappeared), EMIL AND THE DETECTIVES which, as I recall it, we all liked.
I also recall the intermission immediately followed STAY AWAKE. The Ed Wynn segment was definitely in the second act.

And I own a DVD of EMIL AND THE DETECTIVES that is apparently only offered currently as a Disney Rewards premium. It still holds up as a very good juvenile adventure, as does THE HORSE WITHOUT A HEAD.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I worked, briefly, with Jean-Pierre Aumont, and he seemed genuinely surprised and happy when I told him how much I loved THE HORSE WITHOUT A HEAD. Haven't seen that in, forever, either.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Well, Disney Rewards is not offering EMIL, but I did manage to redeem for THE HORSE WITHOUT A HEAD! Thanks for the tip.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
rich_d said:
And your parents didn't take you? To paraphase Uncle Albert, that's the saddest thing I ever heard.
My parents were not movie goers. I don't ever recall a time that the whole family went to see a movie. But my mom did drop us kids off at the local Strand theater on Saturday afternoons. And for that, I'll be forever grateful. I saw most all of the classics of the 1960's there.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
John Maher_289910 said:
All this talk about an intermission in MARY POPPINS jogged my feeble mind. I remember an intermission the first time I saw this too. I was fairly young and confused at the intermission, as it was the first film I had seen with one. Never saw the film again with the intermission. A theatre I worked in played the early 70's re-release and it certainly did not have the intermission. I as I recall the intermission did come right after "Stay Awake" and opened back up with Mary and the kids heading to the park when they get stopped and then off they are to see uncle.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Reed Grele said:
My parents were not movie goers. I don't ever recall a time that the whole family went to see a movie. But my mom did drop us kids off at the local Strand theater on Saturday afternoons. And for that, I'll be forever grateful. I saw most all of the classics of the 1960's there.
We went as a family to see the original release of Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY, the Cinerama films and THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN. I saw a lot of films with my mother, and tons more with friends (I practically grew up in a movie theater). There were 6 I could walk to, and all the first-run theaters were just an El-ride away. I saw HAWAII with only my father, and the strangest one with my dad, was the double feature of LET'S MAKE LOVE and VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED. VOTD became my obsession and I saw it and additional 15 times before it left theaters. I miss those days!!!!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I take that back. There was ONE time that my entire family went to see a movie. We were all on vacation one summer back in 1968, and took a trip to Philadelphia, PA to see the U.S. Mint (I was a coin collector in those days), and Independence Hall (that was back in the day when visitors could reach out and actually TOUCH the Liberty Bell!

Anyway, we were done with the days activities and were on our way to find a motel somewhere in the outskirts, and along the way I saw a drive-in theater that was playing (of all things) The Fearless Vampire Killers and Goodbye Columbus. I had no idea what the 2nd feature was about, I just wanted to see that vampire movie.

After we settled down at a nearby motel, I begged my parents to take us to the drive-in. This would have been unheard of if we had been home, but being that this was our summer vacation, it was a special occasion. So after we had dinner, we all got into the car and went to the movies.

Believe it or not, that was the first time I had ever been to a drive-in theater. They showed the vampire movie first, and I loved it. And my parents actually enjoyed the 2nd feature, although being 12 years old, I had no idea what most of it was about. It did have some nudity though, which was rare and daring at the time.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Dan_Shane said:
In interviews Mr. Van Dyke himself often scoffs his attempted cockney accent in POPPINS, so no harm done if we offer gentle jibes as well. But I agree that there is absolutely no reason to criticize his performance based on that "cartoon" accent. He was wisely cast as both Bert and the elder Mr. Dawes, and his energy and warmth alone would be enough reason watch the film even if everyone else in it wasn't great. (Which they are.)
I always kinda accepted his accent as an eccentricity of his character in a film that was filled with non-reality. It's all in good fun, IMO.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
Any problems with PQ on this one?
No idea although it's encouraging to hear people talk about film grain being present, in the aspect ratio thread it's said the release should be 1.75:1, although Disney are putting it out at 1.66:1, not a major difference, certainly nothing to lose sleep over.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just a "heads up" to those who might be considering importing this from the UK to get it sooner. There are reports from people who actually have the UK disc that it is not lossless like the US disc will be. It is 5.1 DTS-HD High Resolution versus the 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio that will be on the US disc.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
classicmovieguy said:
So, nothing new in terms of extras? Looks like we're just getting those from the 40th and 45th anniversary packages...
Byron, all we know so far for new extras is the "Mary-OKE" sing a long, and "Becoming Mr Sherman". Everything else seems to be carried over from the previous editions. Maybe they added more to already existing documentary we can hope? If that's all there is new for extras, I find that very disappointing. The 50th Anniversary of this great film deserves more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.