What's new

Marvel's The Punisher Season 1 (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I saw Netflix's The Punisher S01 in late 2017. Incredible show. Rough, gritty, uncompromising, and brutal. It's tough to compare this to the other Marvel Netflix shows since it's got such a different vibe/tone, but it's definitely up there as one of my top 3 favorites - along with DD (both seasons) and Jessica Jones.

I've never been in the military or in combat, but my impression here is that this series at least appears to paint a somewhat realistic picture of what happens when some soldiers who come back from war & have a difficult time re-adjusting to civilian life because of severe PTSD. So, the storyline involving the disturbed young soldier who came back from overseas was quite poignant and sad, though it obviously didn't excuse his horrific actions. The actor playing this soldier also did a great job playing LHO in another great Netflix series, 11/22/63. It's was interesting that he played similar character in both shows.

Though the whole series was great, to me things really ramped up in the last 4 episodes - starting with the soldier's attack on the hotel (trying to take out the congressman), which led directly up to the finale.

My favorite sequence in the whole series was when the mercenaries (on Billy Russo's team) invaded the basement/bunker that Frank & Micro had been holed up, and then were subsequently taken out by Frank (who had set them up) - who seemed to do so without even breaking a sweat.

One of the most difficult scenes to watch was when the young soldier was standing in the meat locker & counting down to the end, while The Punisher stood outside & understandably encouraged him.

JB's depiction of The Punisher is far, far superior to any other on-screen depiction of the character (Dolph Lundgren, Thomas Jane, and the UK actor who starred in Punisher: War Zone). Amazing casting by Netflix.

Lastly, I was a mid fan of The Punisher comics back in the '80's, but never read much beyond his appearances in Frank Miller's DD, his '80's Spider-man appearances, and the excellent mini series from around 1985 (with art by Mike Zeck). However, the show is making me want to read some of the more popular '90's comics featuring the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks