What's new

MARVEL is bringing four new live-action shows to Netflix leading to a "Defenders event" (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Lots of Marvel Netflix news coming out of New York Comic-Con today. In addition to the just-released trailer for the first season of "Iron Fist", we got updates on the next two shows in the Marvel-Netflix pipeline:
  • "The Punisher": "Daredevil" co-star Deborah Ann Woll will reprise her role of Karen Page as part of the main cast of this spinoff's first season. Page famously bonded with Frank Castle during "Daredevil's" second season. Woll joins other recently announced supporting castmembers Ben Barnes (“The Chronicles of Narnia“; playing Castle's Special Forces buddy and arms supplier Billy Russo), Ebon Moss-Bachrach (“Girls”; playing a former NSA analyst called Micro) will play Micro and Amber Rose Revah (“Indian Summers,” “Son of God”; playing Dinah Madani, a highly-trained DHS agent who is the Philip Gerard to Castle's Richard Kimble). Filming began last Monday.
  • "The Defenders": Sigourney Weaver was announced as the villain, which is a pretty huge get. The team-up miniseries reportedly starts shooting next month for a release in the second half of 2017.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
image.jpeg

Cool news about Sigorney!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great news. Her pilot was the best of the three Marvel-Netflix series launched so far. I'm also pleased by the confirmation in Marvel's press release that "The Defenders" limited series will only be eight episodes. If I had a consistent complaint across the four (generally excellent) Marvel-Netflix seasons released so far, it's that they tend to feel padded by a couple episodes. Eight episodes should mean that this event is lean and mean.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wonder if the second seasons of Luke Cage and Iron Fist will be combined into Heroes For Hire. Mike Coulter teased HFH this weekend:

http://mcuexchange.com/mike-colter-teases-heroes-for-hire/

On the one hand, I'd love to see a second season of Luke Cage, but HFH is enticing as well. I guess there will never be enough time for all the Netflix shows we'd like to see.

Also, the Defenders' Twitter account confirmed Misty Knight and Karen Page for the series:

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/793090985123127296

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the second seasons of Luke Cage and Iron Fist will be combined into Heroes For Hire. Mike Coulter teased HFH this weekend:

http://mcuexchange.com/mike-colter-teases-heroes-for-hire/

On the one hand, I'd love to see a second season of Luke Cage, but HFH is enticing as well. I guess there will never be enough time for all the Netflix shows we'd like to see.
I think I'd prefer a "Heroes to Hire" series, actually. Especially if the show divided its time between the Cage/Rand partnership and the Misty Knight/Colleen Wing partnership.

Good news about Knight and Page for "The Defenders"!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In addition to the announcement yesterday, The Defenders added three more cast members: Carrie-Anne Moss (Hogarth), Elden Henson (Foggy Nelson) and Eka Darville (Malcolm).

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/793452570459054082

Also, more photos have popped up from the set, including a meeting between Misty and Jessica:

http://mcuexchange.com/photos-from-...ers-tease-a-meeting-between-jones-and-knight/

UPDATE: Rachel Taylor, Scott Glenn and Rosario Dawson all added to the cast, via @TheDefenders.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Jessica Henwick (Iron Fist's Colleen Wing) was also added to the cast.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Elodie Yung has now been confirmed as Elektra for The Defenders, via the show's Twitter account.

Not sure who else they could add, but I'm interested to see.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It'll be interesting to see how they handle the credits sequence for "The Defenders". If everybody who's credited as a series regular on any of the component Netflix series is also credited as a series regular on this for the episodes they appear in, it might be a long credits sequence.

It'll also be interesting to see how they handle the credits order even for the main core cast, since they all get first billing on their own series. Presumably Signourney Weaver will get the "and" credit since that usually goes to the big-name cast as the villain. And presumably Rosario Dawson will retain her "with" credit just before the "and" credit.

But after that it gets tricky: "Daredevil" was the first Marvel/Netflix collaboration and is the flagship of the standalone series, so it'd make sense for Charlie Cox to get top billing. On the other hand, Krysten Ritter is a bigger name than Cox is, so she might get top billing. I would imagine that Mike Colter will be behind both of them, especially since he's taken secondary billing already for "Jessica Jones". And Finn Jones will probably be credited last, since he's got the thinnest resume of the four. On other other hand, perhaps they'll all get credited at once, with further grouping by series for all of the supporting characters from the component shows. That would keep the length of the credits sequence down.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Often, on the Netflix shows, the credits only reflect the characters that appear in the episode. Maybe that's the answer. No idea about the order of the main four, but my guess is that you're right.

I wonder if we'll see Agent Coulsen acting like Nick Fury in forming this group. Clark Gregg is rumored to show up on Iron Fist (he's a big fan).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The cover story of this week's Entertainment Weekly is a feature on "Marvel's The Defenders", coming :
TheDefenders_S01_449.jpg
(click to enlarge)
This Week's Cover: Meet The Defenders in EW's exclusive first look
(includes a video from the cover shoot that I can't embed here)
“Every one of them is following their own trail of bread crumbs, trying to unpack a mystery in New York,” explains showrunner Marco Ramirez, who produced Daredevil‘s first season before co-showrunning the second. “We wanted them all caught off guard. Once they’re in that room together, it’s kind of like, ‘Oh, shit, who are you?'”

"The Defenders" first look: Meet Sigourney Weaver's villain — and learn her name
Ramirez confirms that her character is an original creation for the show and not drawn from the comics.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
OK so just finish Iron Fist, now the long wait, but for this team up the writing and pacing is going to need to be tight,

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Matt's wearing a makeshift disguise in the teaser. I guess at this point he's keeping his identity secret. An alternative explanation is everyone is playing a trick on him, and has told him they are wearing masks, too. "You all have disguises, right?" Yeah, sure we do, yeah..." (yeah yeah he could probably "sense" if they were wearing a costume or something, but it's funny, non?).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks