What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

MARVEL is bringing four new live-action shows to Netflix leading to a "Defenders event" (1 Viewer)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
That's good news. Like I said in the Daredevil thread, I wish they would narrow the gap between these series - they should have been released a month apart with the Defenders event at the end of the year. They were probably afraid of 'overload', but too much time between would allow some to forget. I mean, Daredevil, for comic book fans, would be easier to remember and watch for, than Jessica Jones.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I've never been a huge fan of The Punisher, but I've been more familiar with him than the remaining three Netflix titles.

I could see is being a good fit with the Netflix model.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Rosario Dawson has signed a Samuel L. Jackson-style multi-series deal to reprise the role of Claire Temple in the second season of "Daredevil" as well as the other Marvel-Netflix series

She gets the third-highest "with" billing on her episodes after the title character who gets the "Starring" credit and the main villain who gets the "And" credit.

So for "Daredevil" it was "Starring Charlie Cox" ... "With Rosario Dawson And Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk"

For "A.K.A. Jessica Jones" it will presumably be "Starring Krysten Ritter" ... "With Rosario Dawson And David Tennant as Zebediah Killgrave"

I wouldn't be surprised if Carrie-Anne Moss got a "Special Guest Star" credit or something like that.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Some of you may have seen this:

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/28/netflix-clarifies-defenders-release-schedule-jessica-jones-in-20/

Jessica Jones premieres in late 2015, with each series following every six months or so.

However, they've previously said Daredevil season 2 would happen in the spring of 2016, so does that mean Luke Cage next fall, Iron Fist in spring 2017 and Defenders in fall 2017? Seems like it, but if other shows get multiple seasons does that throw off the math? Still a lot of questions about the timing.

EW has a good article on Jessica Jones: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/28/marvels-jessica-jones-netflix-spoilers

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
Jessica Jones premieres in late 2015, with each series following every six months or so.

However, they've previously said Daredevil season 2 would happen in the spring of 2016, so does that mean Luke Cage next fall, Iron Fist in spring 2017 and Defenders in fall 2017? Seems like it, but if other shows get multiple seasons does that throw off the math? Still a lot of questions about the timing.
My guess is:
Jessica Jones: Season 1 - October 2015
Daredevil: Season 2 - April 2016

Luke Cage: Season 1 - October 2016

Beyond that, I think it will depend on the reception to "Jessica Jones" and "Luke Cage" as to whether they get additional standalone seasons or not. From what I've heard, "Iron Fist" is proving to be a tough nut to crack, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a third season of "Daredevil" or a second season of "Jessica Jones" before we get "Iron Fist".

Thanks for sharing the EW article. I was a bit bummed we didn't get more about the show in Netflix's TCA presentation.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
A new series every six months is a nice target to shoot for. Especially if they don't have the creative resources to work on more at the same time. But hopefully if they have resources and opportunity and are ready to go on additional series they don't feel the need to artificially stick to such a spacing out.

After all, an interested viewer can work through each series in a couple of weekends. So six months becomes a LONG wait. And as Sam said, if a show is popular enough so that there is strong demand for another follow up in a reasonable time period (like with Daredevil) sticking to this as a hard rule would be too restrictive.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Sean Bryan said:
A new series every six months is a nice target to shoot for. Especially if they don't have the creative resources to work on more at the same time. But hopefully if they have resources and opportunity and are ready to go on additional series they don't feel the need to artificially stick to such a spacing out.

After all, an interested viewer can work through each series in a couple of weekends. So six months becomes a LONG wait. And as Sam said, if a show is popular enough so that there is strong demand for another follow up in a reasonable time period (like with Daredevil) sticking to this as a hard rule would be too restrictive.

I guess I hadn't considered that there might be a limited amount of creative resources; that makes stretching these shows out more understandable. But I totally agree with your second paragraph - when I first heard the idea of the MCU taking place in Netflix leading up to the Defenders, I was under the mistaken idea that timeline would be a lot more compressed - that we could actually see the Defenders at the end of this year, or early next. To see Adam's guess is disheartening; while I won't forget, time can rob me of my enthusiasm if I have to wait a while and I'm busy living life.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Marvel confirms Alfre Woodard's casting in "Luke Cage"

She'll "play Mariah Dillard, a local Harlem politician--and cousin to recently announced Cornell 'Cottonmouth' Stokes (Mahershala Ali)--who is looking to bring a new era of change to the streets she grew up on. Her personal life and professional career are thrown into turmoil by both Harlem's newest hero Luke Cage as well as her cousin Cottonmouth's nefarious acts."

The new pitch line for the show:
"After a sabotaged experiment leaves him with super strength and unbreakable skin, Luke Cage (Mike Colter) becomes a fugitive trying to rebuild his life in modern day Harlem, New York City. But he is soon pulled out of the shadows and must fight a battle for the heart of his city--forcing him to confront a past he had tried to bury."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not the biggest fan of the MCU's version of Deathlok, which ties in with my issues with "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." generally. But I agree 100 percent that if they move forward with a series centered around the character, they should definitely keep J. August Richards in the role. If they want to focus on another character augmented by the Deathlok program, Richards's Mike Peterson should have a supporting role as the "original" Deathlok.

The other three potential series would be a lot more interesting to me. If they move forward with "Moon Knight", I hope they play up the characters PTSD as a former Marine, since Marc Spector's radically different backstory is a big part of what differentiates the character from Batman. Television already has a pseudo-Batman in the CW's take on Green Arrow, so I'm not sure we need another.

A "Punisher" series would seem the easiest to launch, since the character's already being established in the next season of "Daredevil". My enthusiasm for such a spinoff will depend greatly on how invested I am in Jon Bernthal's take on the character in that.

The Spider-Woman series is the most interesting of all for me, since it would be the first one since "Daredevil" to focus on a costumed superhero with a proper secret identity. The obvious choice would be either a version of Jessica Drew or Julia Carpenter, but if it's spun off from the Defenders series I could see them going with the Mattie Franklin version, since she crossed paths with Jessica Jones.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Can't wait for Moon Knight, who is another one of my favourite Marvel characters. Between Dr. Strange, Thanos, Moon Knight, and Star-Lord, it's like the MCU is reaching into my brain and making my dreams a reality!

I'm not sure I agree that Spector's background is what separates him from Batman. Rather, I think its his motivation (Batman [like Spider-man] is righting the wrong inflicted on his parents, while Moon Knight is seeking vengeance for its own sake) and his multiple personalities (and their relation to his motivations). I think PTSD is a tad too easy and safe these days. We've seen that all before (although overt vengeance is a tad over done, too...).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks