What's new

MartinLogan Depth and Magnepan 1.6QR's...A Match Made In Sonic Heaven!! (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Here is a copy of my review of the MartinLogan Depth subwoofer I just added to my 2 channel system. This is from Audioreview.com!

Reviewed by: Pummill, AudioPhile

Price Paid: $1700 at Audible Elegance

Product Model Year:

Summary:
Just picked this sub up last night to compliment my Magnepan 1.6QR's. I was looking at something that would have tight, fast, bass to match my maggies. I have found it in the Depth.

Currently, I am using it in a 2 channel set up, but I will soon be build a dedicated room that will include 5.1 music capabilities as well as a future home theater set up.

I had thought about getting a Rel Strata III, but after hearing this sub, i knew that it would be a good match with the maggies. The Depth has excellent hook up possibilities for both music and movies.

MartinLogan and Magnepan....a match made in sonic heaven!!

Strengths:
Ease of hook up and versatility of tweaking the sound. Fast, tight, clean, powerful BASS!!

Weaknesses:
None so far.

Similar Products Used:
Paradigm PW-2200, SVS PC-Ultra,Velodyne CT-120. The Depth beats all of these subs that I have owned!!

I also have a HT system in my family room consisting of 6 B&W speakers along with my beloved SVS PC-Ultra. The Ultra is one great sub for HT, but I have found the Depth to be a better match with my maggies.

I am thinking that I may upgrade to even higher end components in a 2 channel system downstairs, along with 5.1 music capabilities, and watch movies in the family room. I have always been about an 80/20 music over movie man!!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
How do you have the martinLogan connected to your system and what did you do to balance the levels?

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Garrett,

I have the Depth connected using the 2-channel mode with 2-channel output. That is the left and right outputs from the preamp going to the Depth, the left and right outputs from the Depth going to the amp. I run the preamp in stereo bypass mode to send a full signal.

Settings on the Depth are as follows:
High Pass Filter Out = 40Hz
Low Pass Filter = 35Hz
Phase = 90 deg.
25Hz Level control = +3dB
Level = 3

I have only tuned by ear so far, but will use my test CD and Rat Shak SPL meter when time permits!! Blends very well with my maggies!!

This is one fine sub....more musical than my PC-Ultra. But the PC-Ultra works great for HT.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Thanks George.

We just had our little meet at my place. Mike, Dre, Tom and Pat all liked the Magnepan / MartinLogan system. That is a very nice little sub. My B&W / SVS HT ain't nothing to sneeze at either!!

I'd love to come up to Cleveland and hear and see your system. I will make it a point to make it up there sometime.

Take care, and GO CAVS!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Alan,

I haven't decided yet if I'm going big time 2 channel, 5.1 music, or HT downstairs. As I told my pals that were over yesterday, I listen to music 80/20 over movies. My HT in the family room does a real nice job with the B&W/SVS speakers on HT. But my 1.6QR's are sounding pretty awesome now that I don't have that big Pioneer Elite RPTV stuck between them!!

If I go strictly 2 channel with the maggies, I will probably be selling the MC1's and CC3. Along with my Earthquake Cinenova Grande 5 channel amp and Outlaw 950 preamp. And I may sell the 1.6's and step up to the 3.6's!!

I have a lot of decisions to make, and I am having fun trying to figure it all out!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks