What's new

Mario Kart "Double Dash" Announced (1 Viewer)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
That layer of dust that's been collecting on my Gamecube will be eliminated the day I pick up Mario Kart......

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Pikmin 2. Looks really great, with coop play. Unforunatley, it looks like Nintendo's E3 site is down right now.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Looks like a fun game ... though i cant see games like this helping sales of the Gamecube in a big way. Surely the same people that didnt buy an N64 which had its own Mario, Mario Cart, Zelda etc etc still wont buy a Gamecube. Its new franchises they need, just my opinion.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
There is a rumor that it is already done Paul.

I can hope that it is and that they surprise everyone with a June or July launch of it.

That's my hope.

Glen

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Bah, it looks like I'm going to be the first to be negative. Those screen shots are a little disappointing. This is far from pushing the cubes capabilities, come on Nintendo, start pushing the envelope for crying out loud and get in to the next gen.

Now on a positive note, I love the idea of a passenger, should bring some good strategy to the game. It looks like it'll be fun to play and I can't wait to try it.

Dean

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I just can't wait for someone to write the software so we can play this over the internet. I'll be a very happy boy then. There will be tons of people rushing out to get that network adapter then.
I see next to zero chance of this happening. The only reason "tunneling" was possible on the Xbox is because the Xbox architecture was based on Windows, allowing programmers to carry over tools from the PC. GC development kits are a bit harder to come by.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I think you might be wrong on that, Jean-Michel. The tunneling system for XBConnect is really just regular packetswitching - packets from the XBox's system link get forwarded onto a known IP where the software then sends them onto the Xbox at that end. The contents of those packets aren't known, aren't even important. It's just shuffling data.

I can't see it being important that the XBox is Win2K based in this setup. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the tunnel setup (and I don't think I am).

I can certainly see how a similiar setup could be done for the GameCube in theory without actually needing a devkit as such.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
The tunneling system for XBConnect is really just regular packetswitching - packets from the XBox's system link get forwarded onto a known IP where the software then sends them onto the Xbox at that end. The contents of those packets aren't known, aren't even important. It's just shuffling data.
You're right.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I'd be curious as to if a Gamecube sends out a DHCP request to a server if it has the broadband adapter in it and plugged in to a network.

Probably not, but it would have to do something like at least at a software level for PSO to work.

Does anyone in here have a BB adapter in their cube that could tell us if this is so?

Glen

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
The official site has been updated with new footage, screenshots and artwork:

MarioKart.com :D

Also here are the latest impressions of the game from various sites:

Gamespot:
Overall, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is really shaping up nicely. With so many different multiplayer modes and LAN connectivity, this could be the ultimate party game. The dual player element is a fantastic addition, but even though you have two racers in one kart it still plays and feels like Mario Kart – and that’s what truly matters.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Not only do they screw you by not giving you the rumoured MK64 (which is was more than a rumour), they won't let you get the worthless "bonus" demo disc until the game comes out.

What a punch in the stomach.

We went from enjoying MK64 in 480p until the Double Dash comes out to nothing now and a bunch of magazine demos when the game is released.

No pre order from me.

Doug

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
The MK64 rumor was started by EGM when they wrote about it in the "rumor" section of their magazine. So now Nintendo is "screwing" its fans for not going through with rumors made up by EGM? :rolleyes

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I kind of have to agree...

I dont know why people are so upset... Sure, it would be a nice extra to have MarioKart64 on this game, but it's not like Nintendo themselves ever announced this...

Dont blame Nintendo... Blame EGM for their fabricated stories...

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Because my cynical self nows that it was more than a rumour. Like Arnold says, were there is smoke there is fire.
It would cost them nothing to put MK64 on there and after the success of the Zelda preorder, a no brainer also.

Instead, they give you a demo of a game that is already out?

To me it is being screwed over because they give Zelda fans something special and us Mario Kart fans nothing. It would have been so easy to do something special.

I'll still buy the game, I just won't help them on their pre order numbers.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks