Mario Kart "Double Dash" Announced

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Doug, I understand...

I did buy a lottery ticket... I was furious when I didnt win... I figure that I paid my dollar (even more) and that I should have won... To me, I felt like I was screwed... I mean having me win the jackpot is a no brainer... Another ticket buyer won... I felt as if the state lottery was screwing me over because they let another person win and not me... They gave that other ticket buyer something special and all I get is some old worn ticket... It would be so easy to do something special like have me win... I believe this is also a case of false advertising!!! The LGM (Lottery Gamers Monthly) did pass a rumor that the lottery numbers would be the correct ones. The lottery themselves never made this announcement, but who cares? Where there is smoke, there is also fire...

I will still buy the lottery ticket, but I wont be helping them on their preorder numbers... Instead I will be getting the correct numbers, then using a time machine to go back in time... Then I will buy the ticket... I save money that way...

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Is there something we don't know that you know? Did they tell you it would be out and then not tell anyone else, or are you assuming that it was true? It could have at one point been true (it's like the idea never crossed their minds, it's a no-brainer) but that doesn't mean it was going to happen.

Nonetheless, you probably already have Mario Kart 64 if you love it so much, so what's the big deal?

Jay Mitchosky

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Dont blame Nintendo... Blame EGM for their fabricated stories...
Very good point. I think that in the race to stay current in light of the internet some magazines seem to print everything they can. There seems to be less emphasis on responsible journalism and more on getting out a story.

Damien

Supporting Actor
EGM supposidly gave the game 2 10's and a 9.5. If true that is extremely good for such an overdone genre.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Wow almost a perfect score from EGM!

The high review scores keep on coming for this game. This time from the latest issue of the Japanese magazine Famitsu. Here are their scores:

Mario Kart Double Dash!! - 9, 9, 9, 9 = 36/40

source:NintendoPhiles

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
IGN gave this one a 7.9. They say it's not much more than an improvement over Mario Kart 64 and in some ways is simpler. They rave about the graphics but only end up giving it a 7.0? Sounds a bit weird to me but this one is a no-brainer for me.

Damien

Supporting Actor
IGN gave this one a 7.9. They say it's not much more than an improvement over Mario Kart 64 and in some ways is simpler. They rave about the graphics but only end up giving it a 7.0? Sounds a bit weird to me but this one is a no-brainer for me.
If the IGN review is accurate, then Double Dash will be THE example of how big of a mistake ignoring online was. The single player game sounds like the same exact thing they've been rehashing for years which in itself is inexcusable in 2003. But if nintendo allowed people to race and battle eachother online this would be one of the best online games ever released regardless of some shoddy level design. Same goes for Mario Party 5...

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
There's apparently no longer a 'hop' maneuver in MK-DD. That may sound minor to some people, but that was really disappointing news for me. Hopping into a powerslide was one of my favorite maneuvers in MK64 and hopping came in quite useful for MK.

Of course, since I haven't actually played the game, this is all speculation.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
The single player game sounds like the same exact thing they've been rehashing for years which in itself is inexcusable in 2003.
May I ask why you think it's inexcusable? I'm just curious because I like the fact that they didn't change much as far as the gameplay goes. I like rehashes, especially when they're more refined.

As far as online goes, there will be a way to play this online. Read some of the articles floating around on the net. No one should be surprised that there is no online capability. Nintendo doesn't believe online gaming is viable yet. It's still a niche product.

Damien

Supporting Actor
"May I ask why you think it's inexcusable? I'm just curious because I like the fact that they didn't change much as far as the gameplay goes. I like rehashes, especially when they're more refined."

I realize I am doing some assuming, but unless you want to use different characters it won't take longer than 4-6 hours to beat the medium setting.(it took me under 2 hours on the gba remake, which obviously is simpler) To me it would be like playing project gotham racing with just a quick race mode. Nintendo could of done a lot of various things with the one player mode but from what I am HEARING it is plain cup racing which is not enough for me. What nintendo needed to do is add bots for multiplayer(again this could be in the game but i doubt it) and come up with some new modes/races types. The game needed to bulk up the features and options list...

As far as online goes, there will be a way to play this online. Read some of the articles floating around on the net. No one should be surprised that there is no online capability. Nintendo doesn't believe online gaming is viable yet. It's still a niche product."

Sure but I still think nintendo is wrong. They could have a killer holiday gc bundle...gc, mk, and a bb adapter...I know nintendo doesn't support it but if online play was included I would get this on release no matter what the score. I do hope the attempt at getting the game online works out.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
Got my import copy a few days ago and finally got to play it last night. 1 player mode is very good, although it's not remarkably different from the previous installments. It seems to lack a certain sense of speed, but maybe that's just from comparing it to F-Zero and Kirby's Air Ride. It does seem odd to not have the jump anymore, since you can jump in every other Cart racer.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Phillip,
How do the controls work for single player mode in terms of handling the weapons? Are they awkward to handle while trying to drive the kart? I'm going pick up my pre-ordered copy in a couple days anyhow, but I was just wondering.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
Weapons are pretty easy to handle. If you've got one weapon, like you will most of the time, the character on the back of the vehicle will throw it behind you with the X button. If you've got 2 weapons, the driver will throw his forward with the Y button. Z trigger switches characters, although I haven't yet figured out what the point of that it besides just being a new gimmick.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell