What's new

Netflix Manifest (NBC/Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I really wish the first act or two got stretched out a little more. The opening in the airport was fine; not ground breaking or even smart, but it got us into the story fast. The disappearance and then the subsequent reappearance was what worked the best for me. We don't know these people, but seeing the family members rush into the hanger did get to me. Maybe I'm just an old sap.

And then the Pilot struggled for a while. There's this really weird scene between Michaela and Grace that feels like it's trying too hard to set up the show. I get they have some kind of history we'll undoubtedly figure out later, but this family should be together right now. What in the world were the twins and Ben doing?

Moreover, there's a plot twist we all see coming down the road. It's been five years...of course everyone who wasn't on the plane moved on with their lives. Let's not belabor that point, have everyone on the plane understand it and move on. I'm not sure I can deal with the constant hand-wringing over what happened in those five years.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
In the last 3-4 years, you get interested in one of these series, and boom, it's gone after a year. I expect this will be one of those.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In the last 3-4 years, you get interested in one of these series, and boom, it's gone after a year. I expect this will be one of those.
Tonight's ratings will tell much of the story. The show built on its The Voice lead-in last week, the first time that's ever happened. If the ratings show only subtle erosion in the second week, it will mean people are intrigued enough to stick around for awhile. We'll know tomorrow.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I acknowledge the faults raised by others in this thread, but I'm definitely along for the ride at this point. I thought the second episode was solid, dealing with the personal fallout of this scenario while laying the groundwork for the mythology driving the show, especially the hallucinations that lead miraculous outcome and the shadows that explode heads.

The twin girl feels the most like a real human being at this point. It's really interesting that all of the years of therapy and treatment was because she knew, deep down in her core, that her brother was alive. And her refusal to accept his death was diagnosed and treated as a psychiatric disorder. But she was right; it was the world that was wrong.

I also liked that the police psychiatrist didn't act like what shows and movies usually portray. She really was interested in helping Michaela dead with her stuff.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I liked the second episode, too, and am also signed up for the season.

The ratings showed some drop off (for all shows except The Voice), but it outrated everything else on the night and seems to be a keeper for the network.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just watched the second episode and Stacy and I agreed to cancel it. Just not interested.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If anyone missed the first two episodes, they are repeating tonight (Sun) on SyFy beginning around 10pm.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really liked the twin stuff in tonight's episode. Before the flight, they were equals. Now, with a 5 and a half year age gap, there's a significant change in that relationship. And Cal's friends are now Olive's peers but not his own peers. He's thrown in with a group of kids who were in kindergarten when he disappeared.

Based on what the doctor uncovered, it seems possible that the plane was fated to explode in mid-air before external forces intervened.

Hopefully, sooner or later, Ben and Michaela will be brought on board the NSA investigation. He was an intelligence officer, and she's a police detective -- both transferable skills on this investigation. And it would mean no longer having to contrive reasons for them to be where the action is.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm really enjoying the show. Little surprises in every episode that make me really look forward to seeing them.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Really enjoyed discovering the "killer" had a true motive and that it was not tied into the main mystery. Glad that was the case.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The whole situation with the Stone family is messy in the best way. Grace and Olive are torn between two men who are, by all indications, decent men and entirely blameless in the situation they find themselves in. Every move toward Ben feels like a betrayal of Danny. But any reaching back toward Danny feels like a betrayal to Ben.

At the same time, Grace and Olive are locked into patterns of behavior that resulted from the unexplained disappearance of half their family. There are parts of Olive that are like Ben; he can understand her in ways that Grace can't. And because he doesn't have the history of the last five and a half years, Ben doesn't box Olive in with the same preconceptions. Grace assumes that because Olive has had serious problems for so long, she will continue to have serious problems. But circumstances have changed. Ben is at least willing to extend her the opportunity to rise to the occasion. Maybe she will, maybe she won't.

Given the situation with the plane's arrival, there's no way I buy that a stowaway slipped out of the landing gear and ran away down the runway without being seen. The feds had that place on lock down.

On the other hand, tying Michaela and Saanvi's shared hallucination to the angel statue in Bethesda Fountain was a great way to take advantage of the show's filming location. So many shows fake New York City. If you're shooting there for real, you might as well occasionally take advantage of the landmarks.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
For me, this whole conspiracy with the missing eleven passengers is a lot less interesting to me than the more grounded stories about these people picking up their lives five and a half years later.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I am enjoying it every week. I would have bet that she was going to introduce Carlos to Evie's family at the end. Maybe another time.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For me, this whole conspiracy with the missing eleven passengers is a lot less interesting to me than the more grounded stories about these people picking up their lives five and a half years later.

Slightly off-topic (I ditched this show immediately), but did you watch The Leftovers? I can't remember if you were part of those threads.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone still watching this? I’m still enjoying it. I thought I’d heard that it’s still getting better than average ratings. HOPEFULLY they have an endgame in mind and everything is working towards it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm still watching and mostly riveted by every episode. Wouldn't miss it for anything. Hard to endure it being gone for a little over a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks