What's new

Mallrats problem! (1 Viewer)

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Just purchased the Mallrats SE (I know, what the hell took me so long!) and have noticed a problem. During the movie, my player generated 'angle' icon (as opposed to the DVD icon) appears when the video commentary is accessible. I have checked all of the set-up menu's and everything is set correctly. My player is a Pioneer DV414.

Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes?

Thanks
Jim

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This isn't an error... it's a feature. The commentary uses multiple angles to provide a complete audio-video commentary in some scenes.

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I know this is a feature. But I am not able to watch the movie without the angle icon. The Mallrats logo icon only appears if that feature is turned on, the little angle icon (player generated) appears at the top right whether the commentary option is selected or not. I don't think this is supposed to happen when the com. is turned off.

Matthew H

Second Unit
It must be your disc. I'd attempt to get another copy and then try it, or atleast try it on another player.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I have checked all of the set-up menu's and everything is set correctly.
Did you check the menus for the "Mallrats" DVD or for the DVD player itself? Your player's set-up menu should have an option to toggle the multi-angle icon on and off.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
This is false. It is not the disc.
The icon in question is not a part of the disc- rather is a On Screen Display icon built into the pioneer player, set to display when it sees a secondary angle is available (whether it is selected or not). The second angle on this disc is available at all times as part of the video stream (it is not toggled on and off with the commentary- only the subtitle track containing the "MALLRATS" logo is turned on and off- the second angle is always "available" no matter what settings you use).
Your player is just seeing the secondary angle ability and showing an icon to let you know. Pioneer players have a icon (which is removable, check the setup menu), Panasonic players have a little light on the face of the player, etc.
-Vince

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Vince, did you read my post? I stated very clearly that it is the player generated icon...this I know! Why it automatically shows up when playing (when other disc's with similar features do not) I am not sure, though I will check out my player menu, thanks for the input.

Problem solved, I found the setting on my player. Thanks again for the input.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
There's another problem with Mallrats - its retail price has been upwards of $27 since it first came out, and no signs of falling down to a normal price, let alone a discount price.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Jim,

I absolutely read your posts, I even quoted them- and I knew that you understood where the icons were coming from- my point in explaining it as I did was not in direct reaction to you, rather the other posts which seemed to repeatedly focus on the disc, when this obviously wasn't the problem. I did feel the need to point out that this player function would happen if the commentary was turned on or off, despite your inkling otherwise.

Since three of three posts suggested issues with the disc setup itself- I felt it was important to stress that these posts were incorrect and make very clear this was not a disc issue-- I didn't want to see yet another DVD returned to a store with no good reason...

I apologize if you felt I stressed this too strongly- I was hoping to be as clear as possible within the existing field of incorrect information.

-Vince

Travis D

Second Unit
I'm sorry if I read your post wrong and do not get this right. The 2 angles run the length of the movie which means that your angle indicator is working perfectly. Just because the second angle is there doesn't mean that the video commentary is going to be shown. The video stream is just sending 2 different angles; one is just the movie while the other is just the movie but intermediatly shows the vid commentary. The stream is not switched at anypoint during the movie. This was before people starting putting branching options on discs to conserve space.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Jim,
Just to let you know, I seem to remember a lot of posts regarding this issue back when the disc was released. As Vince mentioned, you have to turn off the On Screen Displays in your PLAYER to really get rid of this (the same thing was happening to me with my Toshiba SD3109, and disabling the OSD fixed the problem). The only thing you'll really lose is a few little messages from you DVD player (like this annoying Icon) telling you that Multi-Angle or something is there, but with all the information available to you on this and other forums, who really needs that Icon anyway:)?

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
Vince is 100% correct. I have this same disc and Pioneer DVD player and it kept doing that to me until I turned off the "show Multiangle" icon in the players settings. I am at work right now so I can't tell you exactly where to do it, but I know that it's there. It is NOT a disc setting. It is a player setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks