What's new

main speakers - bi wire - two amps? (1 Viewer)

darron Z

Stunt Coordinator
wondering if it is ok to run two amps , one from reciever hi out to speaker to stator ,and one from separate 2channel amp connected via line out on reciever to a bi -wired martin logan speaker woofer . im only putting out 100w per amp channel on each. want to get more power for my listening pleasure while i save for a sunfire ultimate...

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
I can't think of any reason why not. I did something similar with an old pair of Klipsch Cornwall's that I rebuilt and set up for bi-wiring / bi-amplification. You probably want to use a separate amp with it's own gain control to balance them out, though.

John Royster

Screenwriter
To tell you the truth it is the stator that needs the better/beefier amplifier due to such low impedance. Try either way and report back.

BTW - you'd be amazed at what your logans will sound like when you give them enough power.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you examine your impedance curves you'll see what John's talking about. A low impedance at a high frequency can be a bit taxing.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Chu,

When I was having amp/power problems it was very interesting. Real heavy bass would shut the amp down. But also a very strong snare or bells/female vocals. So depending on the music it could be the panel or the woofer. What is even funnier is you couldn't really hear any clipping, the speaker would just flat drain the amp.

It is my opinion that you need 300 watts at 4 ohms and stability at 2 ohms for martin logans.

darron Z

Stunt Coordinator
wow really that much power? i have a pioneer elite vsx 36tx - puts out 100w - so if got the sunfire with 200 w per channel , still not enough ? maybe better idea would get a 2 channel monster 300x2 to run the mains, and run the surrounds off of the 100w reciever ? next question - good 2 channel amp?

John Royster

Screenwriter
the sunfire amp does a very good job at 4 and 2 ohms. 400 and 800 watts respectively I believe. It is one of the recommended amps for logans.

What model speaker do you have? Some of the smaller ones aren't as demanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks