What's new

Maggie update (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Thanks, Dean!
I'm really excited to get back into Maggies...I feel as if I had some of the absolute best "boxes" you can get for my price range and I enjoyed them for the last three years. But ultimately there are just things they can't do, as we all know. Maggies aren't for everyone (thankfully!), but they are definitely for me.
I put the order in on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll be taking delivery next week. I can't wait to introduce them to Butler power!!! :D

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Alan Pummill said:
OK Z,
I've been reading your post over at the MUG. We want to see pictures of those new 3.6's!!
lol, I'm workin' on that! :D
I have Mye stands on the way, and I also spoke with Phil Marchand and decided to order an XM44 crossover designed to the HP, LP, and slope specs that Magnepan recommends in the owners manual. Phil also was kind enough to throw in an extra module for free so that I can play around with a slightly different setting that he suggested.
I have to say, I'm THRILLED with how well my Butler amp is juicing these things. Even with just 150wpc, I'm getting TONS of low end, a beautiful sound stage, and with no signs of over-driving the amp at all. Several people at the asylum suggested I try the active biamping with two channels of my Butler per speaker before spending money on a more powerful Butler, so that's what I'm doing.
I definitely don't regret going back to boxes after loving my MMGs, because John DeVore is a great guy and his speakers are fantastic...but I can't even begin to tell you how good it feels to have Maggies around again. So far these things have already exceeded expectation, and I can't wait to hear how they sound after the Mye stands and Marchand piece get here!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
BTW, what do you guys think of those cool new MiniMaggies?? I can't wait to give those a listen! I also can't wait to see how much of an impact they have in the marketplace...I think we may see a whole new group of Maggie owners coming on board by the summer!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
AlanZ said:
BTW, what do you guys think of those cool new MiniMaggies?? I can't wait to give those a listen! I also can't wait to see how much of an impact they have in the marketplace...I think we may see a whole new group of Maggie owners coming on board by the summer!
Audible Elegance, the shop where I bought my maggies, has had a similar sized naked minature maggie model sitting on their counter for years. It shows in minature, the maggie technology. I didn't ever think they would make maggies that small!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Alan Pummill said:
Audible Elegance, the shop where I bought my maggies, has had a similar sized naked minature maggie model sitting on their counter for years. It shows in minature, the maggie technology. I didn't ever think they would make maggies that small!!
I agree! I was really shocked to hear about these new little guys...Maggies rule! :D
What ever happened to M? You ever hear from the guy?

Dean_M

Second Unit
AlanZ said:
...I also spoke with Phil Marchand and decided to order an XM44 crossover designed to the HP, LP, and slope specs that Magnepan recommends in the owners manual. Phil also was kind enough to throw in an extra module for free so that I can play around with a slightly different setting that he suggested.
Very nice. I've been thinking of doing the same and bi-amping. How much is the XM44 setting you back (if you don't mind me being nosy)?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Dean_M said:
Very nice. I've been thinking of doing the same and bi-amping. How much is the XM44 setting you back (if you don't mind me being nosy)?
Hey, Dean!
Marchand has two units that are recommended for the Maggies...the XM44 and a tubed version (forget the model number). He says that both are excellent, and the tubed version is on sale for $1800 right now, but I went with the XM44 because supposedly it's extremely transparent. The XM44 is $1k plus about $30 for shipping.
I have a tube preamp that Im quite fond of (Mapletree Line 2A SE), and the synergy it has with my Butler amp is tremendous. I was really concerned about putting anything active into the signal path, particularly a SS piece. But I've asked some people whose opinions I trust, and they all tell me that the marchand stuff is actually very transparent and it won't mess with the sound I already have. A few have said that the passive Maggie crossover is doing more to degrade the sound than just about anything else, so this should be a nice upgrade.
I know the Maggies love lots of current, but honestly, if you guys ever get the chance to demo a Butler amp with your 3.6s, I'd love to hear what you think. The 5150 puts out 150wpc into 8 and 225 into 4...not a lot of current by Maggie standards. But I'm telling you, the sound is fantastic already. The low end is KILLING what I was getting from my DeVores, and the soundstage is massive. I wasn't even going to consider continuing to use the 5150 until I actually tried it, and the crossover option was cheaper than buying a Butler 2250...so I'm giving it a go.
I really did expect to find the 3.6s a tad thin compared to my DeVores, but the honest truth is that these are sounding like a much fuller speaker overall. When I added my outboard tube DAC into my other system, it gave a nice depth to the soundstage, so while I already have nice width to it, I'm hoping when I get the TADAC back in here it'll help with the depth.
I'd always heard that Maggies love tubes, and now I'm a believer! :D

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hey guys...just wanted to tell you that i won't be sending the Marchand back. Biamping really helps get some separation among the instruments and vocals...This thing is built like a tank, too!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Hello Maggie Mates,

Just wanted to throw out an update on my 3.6 maggies. I just got them back from Magnepan. They did a reglue of the midrange panels and I went ahead and had them install new tweeters while they had them. They are like brand new speakers and I am a happy camper!!

How are you all doing?

Dean_M

Second Unit
Alan Pummill said:
Hello Maggie Mates,
Just wanted to throw out an update on my 3.6 maggies. I just got them back from Magnepan. They did a reglue of the midrange panels and I went ahead and had them install new tweeters while they had them. They are like brand new speakers and I am a happy camper!!
How are you all doing?
It's good to hear from you and to read that Magnepan treated you well. I may have to do the same myself in a few months. How much did the whole project cost you including the shipping?
I'm currently waiting on parts to build another amp, so that I can bi-amp my front 3.6s to go with an active crossover (Marchand).
Other than that, I've just been working and watching my retirement fund circle the drain.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Hello Deano,

We were in Arizona last week on vacation, We went to the Crand Canyon and Sedona.

As far as the cost of repair, it breaks down as follows:

$200 per speaker to completely strip and rewire the mid-range panels

$100 per speaker to install new tweeters

$85 each way to ship speakers via Old Dominion Trucking which is Magnepan's carrier of choice. (I live about 10 miles from the Cincinnati terminal and delivered them to and picked them up from there)

So that comes to a grand total of $770.

You will talk to a lady named Karen who is very helpful. I hope this helps answer you question. And it is good to hear from you again!! Take care!!

Bunk

Auditioning
Real Name
Tomi
Alan Pummill said:
Hello Deano,
We were in Arizona last week on vacation, We went to the Crand Canyon and Sedona.
As far as the cost of repair, it breaks down as follows:
$200 per speaker to completely strip and rewire the mid-range panels
$100 per speaker to install new tweeters
$85 each way to ship speakers via Old Dominion Trucking which is Magnepan's carrier of choice. (I live about 10 miles from the Cincinnati terminal and delivered them to and picked them up from there)
So that comes to a grand total of $770.
You will talk to a lady named Karen who is very helpful. I hope this helps answer you question. And it is good to hear from you again!! Take care!!
You can by it on ebay.com
smile7.jpg

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hey guys...

Thought I'd check out the new look of the site...I dig it!

Just picked up another toy, so thought I'd mention it to you guys, too....I have been looking at multi-channel analog preamps for a while now, cause I was getting frustrated with trying to find a new pre/pro or even receiver that would fit my needs. Well, I finally picked up the one I'd been eying for a while, a McCormack MAP-1. I had been using the analog inputs on my outlaw pre/pro and setting speaker trim on the BD player. Now Im using the player for bass mgt and processing, and using the McCormack for the trim levels. I used the same calibration method as I had before, but all of a sudden my center channel is really shining. Dialogue seems much more crisp than it did before and the whole front stage blends much better. I have a Denon 2900 universal player that needs a small laser adjustment, and Im thinking about getting that fixed (they quuoted me about $129 for the job) so I can get SACD/DVD-A back in here, and also have a back-up DVD player in the mix. Right now I have my iPod connected to one of the stereo inputs and it's definitley not bad. Not as good as my 2-channel signal path, but not bad!

Anyway, I love gear that performs simple functions but does so very well, and that's what this piece does. It's built like a damn tank, just like my Marchand crossover and the Butler amps. These crazy 3.6s throw such a damn huge soundstage that I haven't even been in a hurry to get surrounds up in here, lol. With movies, the whole front stage wraps around me damn near 180 degrees....love these speakers :)

What are you guys up to??

-Z

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Howdy Z,

I had my 3.6's rewired at Magnepan (mid panel). I also had new tweeters installed. They sound better than ever. I am on the list to have them "Gunned" by PG over at the MUG. It will probably be towards the end of the year or next year.

Maggie Magic!!

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I reconditioned my CC1 and 1.6's last year after they started to buzz. There is a lot of information on the web to walk you through the process if you want to save some $$$. It is really easy and just takes a little patience.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I just bought a 73" Mits WD 73837 TV for my family room HT. This should be fun!! Plus I have a brand new Pioneer Elite BD player still in the box to go with it. I'll be connecting via HDMI cables to my Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH receiver.

One of the best purchases I've made was that SVS sub some years back. It will move your pants leg!!

Oh, and I am in line to have my 3.6 maggies "gunned", if you know what that means!!

Life is good!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks