What's new

Mae West movies (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Again, seeing that Universal is coming out with the Franchise Collections, wonder if the old Mae West movies they loaned out to Image to butcher up will ever be reissued in their proper and overdue glory?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand Universal at times. They release films which I never thought would make it out on DVD (Ma & Pa Kettle, Francis the Talking Mule..etc), while those films that I would think would be out on DVD before these (WC Fields, Mae West, Dietrich/Sternberg, 30's Horror, Film Noir, 50's Sci-Fi, Marx Brothers, Hammer films, preston Sturges) are still left in the vaults.

I'm happy that Ma & Pa Kettle & Francis are coming out on DVD (I'll be buying both sets), but the others I mentioned would probably have a greater customer demand on DVD. I'm very confused.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

YES! They are.

Universal is hands down the worst company releasing DVDs this side of Artisan and all of the Public Domain companies.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I agree Universal is just about bottom of the barrel. However, there are small signs this may be changing. Remember that most of us thought of Warner Bros this way some years ago when they were virtually ignoring catalog titles, and lok at them now! Perhaps Universal is about to experience a similar renaissance. In any case, I look forward as you do to Mae West, W.C. Fields, Marx Brothers, Hammer Films, and the rest.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I just picked up I'm No Angel used. How were the Image releases butchered? I hadn't heard anything about this previously.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
"The Ultimate Mae West Collection" on LD contained:

1) I'm No Angel
2) Night After Night
3) Belle of the Nineties
4) Klondike Annie

They were a little soft looking but were in great shape. I don't know if they were edited or censored in any way.

I'm sure if they do put them out, there won't be any restoration, just LD port overs, like they did on the monster series.

MikeDE

Second Unit
The few Universal Mae West films on DVD have a "tinny" sound to my ear and don't look much (if any) better than the VHS releases. The DVD's are absolute bare bones and don't even have the trailers which are on VHS. Go figure. Perhaps they will do better with the rumored release of "My Little Chickadee". It just doesn't make sense to put out the Kettles when West and Fields fans are chomping at the bit for decent discs.

Mike E.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Yes I know Mike but apparently the Kettles and Francis the Talking Mule will sell more. Very sad : does no one have any taste anymore ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks