What's new

Mad About You (1 Viewer)

Buddy I

Agent
Has anyone heard anything further from Sony about the release of seasons 3-7 of Mad About You? I have all of their DVD releases, including The Mad About You Collection released over a year ago. Does anyone know how well it sold and if more releases are on the way?

Buddy

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I have all 3 releases as well and would love more. But when the "collection" came out I basically assumed that was the nail in the coffin, short of some miracle of a sales increase. I'm guessing the releases have just not sold well. Mad About You, despite being a great show, suffers from appealing mainly to older viewers. It is generally younger skewing shows that do well on DVD as young people make up a huge part of the buying public. Other "adult" shows have suffered a similar fate such as Mary Tyler Moore, Larry Sanders, etc.

We may see more seasons after a very long wait but I'm not counting on it at all. I'm archiving the reruns so at least I have something resembling the original series.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I'll bet that, should Mad About You do well on Nick at Nite come next month, we will likely see a third season release before the end of the year.

Buddy I

Agent
Ah...I forgot about it coming to Nick @ Nite. I really hope it does well so Sony will consider it.

Buddy

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I don't think Mad About You will do well at all on N@N. It's a great show, but I think it will fare the way Wings, Coach, etc..... did :frowning:

I'd love to have more Mad About You on DVD but I won't hold my breath

Stephen Lilley

Stunt Coordinator
Sony seems like the kind of studio who is really unwilling to go out on a limb for anything. If your show doesn't sell really well right away, they throw out all hope of ever continuing to put it out (Mad About You, The Larry Sanders Show, etc.)

DavidBC

Second Unit
I need more Mad About You. Sony really needs to straighten out their heads and release this great series.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I do think that a show should be a couple of releases before the studios give up on them, however this is a business and you have to be realistic. If a show doesn't sell it will likely not go forward. And adults buy fewer DVD's than kids, teeangers and young people. I don't know a lot of 10 year old begging their parents for Larry Sanders. It's a shame that the taste of young people dictates so much but if more adult buyers would purchase their favorite shows then we'd get more.

John*D

Second Unit
It be nice to see SONY take another look at this series and possibly finsih it up. I've held off on it, since there are only 2 season sets...

If a season 3 is announced, then I'll pick up 1 and 2 to show my support.

Buddy I

Agent
I would think that if they started releasing a show that they would release every season. Apparently this isn't true. I think more people would buy the sets if they were cheaper. Season 1 was $20, but Season 2 was $30-35 for three episodes more than S1. The Mad About You Collection was $35-40 for 4 discs. Sony has a tendency of pricing their TV box sets a little higher than some other studios. Perhaps this is the reason why MAY hasn't sold too well.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Fans certainly want every season of a show that they like. But no studio is going to spend the amount of effort and money it takes to release a show if that show doesn't turn at least a decent profit. And no way are they going to release the entire series for a show that has done poorly. Why should they ?

If fans want their shows to continue on DVD they must make sure they buy the sets and get everyone they know who is a fan to buy them, too. Perhaps give them away as gifts, too. No sales = No new releases. One thing that amazes me is that some "fans" will refuse to buy even a well-done set until they know the entire series will be released. Evidently they don't realize that the more people who skip buying the sets, the less likely there will be more of them. Some of you are shooting yourself in the foot and don't even feel it.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
While I certainly would like to see some more seasons of Mad About You on DVD, they certainly could improve the video quality. If they don't care enough to sell a first class product, why should we run out and buy it?

Don't worry, I already bought the first two seasons.

Buddy I

Agent
I bought all three DVDs that have been released. I don't know if this would make a difference or not, but I know the show was shot on film and not video tape. I know a lot of movies from that error look excellent on DVD, but Sony has decided to cram as many episodes as they can onto two or three discs to keep from manufacturing more discs. This is probably why the quality is poorer than some TV shows. If they would spread them out on more discs, it would help tremendously.

David, I agree with you. If the fans don't buy them and wait, more seasons won't be released. I'm afraid that's what has happened here.

Buddy

Valerie

Auditioning
The way I see it the problem is with Sony/Columbia TriStar, not with how many copies are sold. I have bought numerous TV series on DVD by different companies and Sony is always the one to not only take forever in releasing season sets (over a year goes by in most cases!) but they also easily give up on releasing a series where other companies complete them.

Here are just a few examples:

MASH - released by Fox with 2 seasons per year & there are only a few left - they show no signs of giving up the series.

Frasier - released by Paramount - while they confused things by releasing the final season set waaaay out of order, they are continuing to release the remaining seasons.

Everybody Loves Raymond - released by HBO - they have been very consistent in releasing every season...and the sets even have extras!

Meanwhile, look at Sony's record of TV releases:

Mad About You - Seasons 1 & 2 and a compilation set
Barney Miller - Season 1

I can't vouch for their other series titles because these two are the only ones I've bought. But I can imagine that their other releases have not been completed either. I just hope they don't end up releasing any other shows I like because I probably won't buy them. Why get started with a series that they'll give up on after one or two seasons. What's the point? When I like a TV series and buy one on DVD I want all the seasons in their entirety. Why is it that all the other companies can put out complete series on DVD and Sony can't? I don't have the answer...except that I'm sick of their TV DVD release practices.

No more Sony TV DVD purchases for me!:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks