What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

macOS Mojave (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mojave will be a bit of a pain for me, and a lot of others, I expect. It ends support of 32 bit apps, and I'm stuck with some that will never be updated, such as the Spyder4 calibration app. A convenient way to force upgrades on us. It's also one of the reasons I was compelled to replace my Logitech Harmony One remote. The software will be a no-go.
I wonder if there’s a way to get a list of 32 bit apps that reside on a Mac?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I wonder if there’s a way to get a list of 32 bit apps that reside on a Mac?
About This Mac -> System Report -> Software -> Applications

The Applications window has several columns of info, one is "64-Bit (Intel)" which shows as either "Yes" or "No". You can sort on this column if you like. I am still running High Sierra but I assume Mojave works in the same way.

-Keith

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
About This Mac -> System Report -> Software -> Applications

The Applications window has several columns of info, one is "64-Bit (Intel)" which shows as either "Yes" or "No". You can sort on this column if you like. I am still running High Sierra but I assume Mojave works in the same way.

-Keith
Thanks.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes Mojave does run 32 bit apps. No new problems with the 64 bit but long abandoned Aperture which I use constantly. Basically the upgrade to Mojave has been problem free: only problem - my 5GHz WiFi connection was refusing to work immediately after initial boot, rebooting didn't help, switched to 2.4 GHz, then switched back to 5GHz ("forgetting" the 2.4 GHz) - everything has been fine since.

But, sooner or later 32 bit apps will die: the one I depend on is MPEG Streamclip: basically I use it to edit MPEG 2/AC3 TiVo recordings (music clips from talk shows & SNL). I emailed the guy who wrote it (http://www.squared5.com/svideo/contact.html - Stefano Cinque) - if he ever intends to to update to 64bits or lend it to a developer with spare time (me) to do it for him - no answer. I have googled - can't find a true replacement... The only other solution - I would need to have cTiVo convert files from MPEG 2 to .mp4 - but apart from waste of time/CPU usage it kills 5.1 sound...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
First Mojave bug:
someone got the bright idea to turn off .dvdmedia file support from the DVD Player app. Unless they acknowledge it as a bug and fix it in 10.14.1 or 2 I’ll have to turn every single .dvdmedia file into a Folder and then change their links in DVDPedia. A painful waste of time. Yes, VLC can play the .dvdmedia files, but the very first one I wanted to watch (Serge Gainsbourg video collection) choked on VLC - DVD Player is more reliable…

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes Mojave does run 32 bit apps. No new problems with the 64 bit but long abandoned Aperture which I use constantly. Basically the upgrade to Mojave has been problem free: only problem - my 5GHz WiFi connection was refusing to work immediately after initial boot, rebooting didn't help, switched to 2.4 GHz, then switched back to 5GHz ("forgetting" the 2.4 GHz) - everything has been fine since.

But, sooner or later 32 bit apps will die: the one I depend on is MPEG Streamclip: basically I use it to edit MPEG 2/AC3 TiVo recordings (music clips from talk shows & SNL). I emailed the guy who wrote it (http://www.squared5.com/svideo/contact.html - Stefano Cinque) - if he ever intends to to update to 64bits or lend it to a developer with spare time (me) to do it for him - no answer. I have googled - can't find a true replacement... The only other solution - I would need to have cTiVo convert files from MPEG 2 to .mp4 - but apart from waste of time/CPU usage it kills 5.1 sound...
Could you do what you want with Handbrake and MKVToolnix, or even iMovie?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I figure macOS will drop 32-bit support within the next year since Apple has gone all 64-bit with iOS. I could be wrong though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks