What's new

macOS Mojave (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So it seems the Mojave Public Beta has been available for about a day or so.

Did a backup of my MacBook Pro and then installed Mojave.

So far, it's running GREAT! Some small issues with a few minor software programs that are not working, but all the major ones are.

LOVE Dark Mode. Looks great -- especially in Apple Mail.

STACKS are terrific. Really cleans up the mess on my desktop.

NEWS and STOCKS are nice to have. Not certain I will use either on a daily basis as I have other programs for that information.

I know someone is going to post the "don't run betas as your primary system" and "you better back up your system fully." YES, we all know that. Just letting you know that Mojave is running very well for a primary system at this point.

Of course, there can always be hardware configuration issues that may rear its ugly head on one system but not another.

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 7.59.40 AM.png
(Click on photo for larger image)

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I loaded it up on my MacBook Pro yesterday as well Ron. With the exception of the News app crashing several times, so far so good. I haven't had time to delve into many of the new features yet but I do love Dark Mode, and the redesign of the App Store is a welcome update.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'll gladly be the bad guy here for ya, @Ronald Epstein =)
I'm happy to run betas on my mobile devices because restoring them if something goes wrong is trivial. Running a beta on my main production desktop machine? NFW. Be careful out there if you go down this route.

dpippel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Been doing it for years Sam. Apple's public betas are usually quite stable, and so far Mojave has been no exception to that rule. By the time macOS code reaches this stage of development, the chances of experiencing issues major enough to cause data loss or system failure are next to zero. Of course there is *some* risk, but it's miniscule. As always, Time Machine is your friend. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Exactly, Doug!

I hear these warnings all the time and I ignore them.

Why do I ignore them? I do the smart thing and make a backup of my prior operating system.

So far Mojave is running BEEEE-UTIFULLY!

I am also using the Public Beta of iOS 12 and that is running extremely well too, with the exception of CarPlay which is having a lot of hiccups in my vehicle. I suspect those issues will be addressed shortly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I know someone is going to post the "don't run betas as your primary system" and "you better back up your system fully." YES, we all know that. Just letting you know that Mojave is running very well for a primary system at this point.
In contrast, my wife hasn't updated her Mac's OS in over three years. It's a "production" system. And updating macOS invariably breaks stuff with Adobe software and incurs new cost to update software. :)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So it seems the Mojave Public Beta has been available for about a day or so.

Did a backup of my MacBook Pro and then installed Mojave.

So far, it's running GREAT! Some small issues with a few minor software programs that are not working, but all the major ones are.

LOVE Dark Mode. Looks great -- especially in Apple Mail.

STACKS are terrific. Really cleans up the mess on my desktop.

NEWS and STOCKS are nice to have. Not certain I will use either on a daily basis as I have other programs for that information.

Of course, there can always be hardware configuration issues that may rear its ugly head on one system but not another.

View attachment 47219
(Click on photo for larger image)
Ron:

It has been about two months with you running the beta, and I wanted to know if you could update us on how it has been going?
I got the bug to download it, but now that I have waited this long I'll probably wait a bit longer for GM.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron:

It has been about two months with you running the beta, and I wanted to know if you could update us on how it has been going?
I got the bug to download it, but now that I have waited this long I'll probably wait a bit longer for GM.

Works great! The only issue I am having is when my laptop awakens from sleep the CPU skyrockets and I have to wait two minutes for it to normalize.

Other than that the OS has been working wonderfully

dpippel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same here. Had a bit of wonkyness with Messages syncing properly with my iPhone two versions ago, but other than that Mojave PB has been extremely stable on my 2017 MacBook Pro.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mojave will be a bit of a pain for me, and a lot of others, I expect. It ends support of 32 bit apps, and I'm stuck with some that will never be updated, such as the Spyder4 calibration app. A convenient way to force upgrades on us. It's also one of the reasons I was compelled to replace my Logitech Harmony One remote. The software will be a no-go.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mojave is released so I renamed this thread (it was the beta thread).

I installed Mojave tonight. Upgrade went smooth and fast.

I don’t like the new security weirdness causing all the dialogs asking I give root access to strangely named daemons. It’s jumping back five years to Windows Vista. Apple is not winning the UX competition with this experience.

And note if you use Backblaze, it’s affected by the new security model and requires user intervention.
https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009644134-Upgrading-to-Mojave-Read-This-First-

I tried Dark mode, and immediately turned it off. It was too depressing, a world without the sun. Not my thing.

I need to read some reviews, rewatch a keynote or something. I can’t tell what’s new, otherwise.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Mojave will be a bit of a pain for me, and a lot of others, I expect. It ends support of 32 bit apps

I could be mistaken, but I believe that Mojave will run 32 bit apps. The next version of macOS is the one that will be dropping 32 bit app support.

You will get nags when using 32 bit apps on Mojave, or on High Sierra 10.13.4 or later.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They must have bumped it back one OS, because I swear they had said High Sierra was the final OS that would run 32 bit apps.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm going to step through some Mojave overview and review material to familiarize myself with what's new. I'm a lightweight home user, and won't necessarily find these things as a matter of course.

Apple's "Overview" (which greets you via notification after upgrading) is a good place to start
https://help.apple.com/macOS/mojave/whats-new/

1. Dark Mode - Not for me, as mentioned. Will probably try again in the future.
  2. Stacks - My desktop is empty; I don't keep files there
  3. Finder Actions - This has potential. I do PDF merging and rotations a few times a month, when I do travel expense reports for work. This might be useful. The new gallery view mode is also promising for occasional use. But I see the Finder is still as flawed as ever, losing track of Sort By settings as you toggle around. (sigh) I really wish Apple would actually bring Finder up to standards for 2018. I think Windows 10 is getting or gotten ahead of macOS on core file system UI.
  4. QuickLook - This is a favorite feature already. The multiple selection option and built-in markup features might be useful to me.
  5. Screenshots - I gave up remembering the Shift-Cmd-# years ago and use Grab. The new Grab app being exactly the same as the new Shift-Cmd-5 is a clarification that I like. The revised app UI is also nice. The iOS like interaction will take a little getting used to, but having built-in markup tools eliminating the need to manually round-trip into Preview, is good.
  6. Continuity Camera - This is super neato, but not sure I'll use it.
  7. News - I don't use the News app on iOS, and I don't really read "news" on my iMac. Not sure I'll ever really look at this app. Maybe I should give News a second chance on my iPad?
  8. Stocks - see above
  9. Voice Memo - I used this rarely on my iPhone. But for when I do, the macOS version cloud syncs, which is a nice upgrade
  10. Home - I have a couple of Home-connected iDevice switches that I use via iPhone and Siri. And as I've been installing ceiling lights and fans and switching to LEDs from CFL the past couple of years, I've not made them Homekit supported. So...I'm not a smart home person yet. Having access from the desktop is certainly fine, but at present not a big deal for me.
  11. Safari - Favicons!!! Also more privacy stuff.
  12. Mac App Store - Easier to navigate, I guess. Unfortunately the stuff that I buy outside the app store like SuperDuper still isn't allowed in the app store.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It appears that Apple removed three-finger window drag from Mojave!!! :eek::angry:

If I'm not just missing something obvious, I'll have to buy and install BetterTouchTool to recover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks