What's new

M1/M2 Powered iPad Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Spicy.
Antutu
Total score
2021 vs 2020: 1,097,297 vs 706,3030 (~56% Increase)

GPU
2021 vs 2020: 543,736 vs 370,183 (~47% Increase)

MEMORY
2021 vs 2020: 169,656 vs 75,415 (~125% Increase!)

UX
2021 vs 2020: 105,686 vs 76,320 (~38% Increase)

GeekBench
CPU - Single Core
2021 vs 2020: 1,715 vs 1,127 (~53% Increase)
CPU - Multi Core
2021 vs 2020: 7,294 vs 4,713 (~55% Increase)
Compute (Metal Score)
2021 vs 2020: 21,363 vs 11,889 (~80% Increase!)

Looks like they have bumped up the RAM from 6 GB to 8 GB.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I tell yuh, as an iPad owner who has bought a new model almost every cycle, it was incredibly tough to sell off the one I owned and not buy a new one.

I love the iPad Pro and this looks incredible. Retirement changes the way you select your purchases and I'm putting all my cash into the upcoming 16" Macbook Pro.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the review by Marques. I’m liking his reviews. I hope he and others who think there might be something big in iOS 15 are right. but I also think he’s right in that Apple might not want the iPad Pro to eat into MacBook Pro sales if the new iOS will bring the Mac OS capabilities to the iPad Pro. I really want an iPad Pro to fully replace a laptop. As for now though, I rarely use a laptop, except the MacBook Pro I have been issued from work. And I use it mostly for accessing the network and running Microsoft Teams for meetings at work. Something I could probably do on the iPad Pro. Something I should try!

Cool that Marques also showed the new iPad Pro attached to the older Magic Keyboard.

I happen upon Justine’s review last night. For a different kind of review, some might find it interesting.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a love/hate thing with iJustine.

She is an excellent vlogger and has built up an impressive base of viewers.

However, her videos are simple unboxings and over-reactions. I have never seen someone overreact, sometimes scream in delight at stupid stuff, and start each video off with, "I am so excited today." I hate to say it, but sometimes she comes across as phony.

Her videos are fluff pieces. There is no negativity about the product.

Marques, on the other hand, is a very cool, calm vlogger who doesn't over-sensualize what he's reviewing. He gives you the facts, he talks about the good and the bad about the product and you walk away from his videos with balanced knowledge.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ron, I totally agree about Justine. That’s her shtick and it seems to work for her “brand”. I have no doubt that she’s an Apple fan and it seems to have gotten her to where she is today. I’ve seen a few of her non Apple reviews. But I only watch when she’s got an Apple product I’m interested in.

What has me wondering is with the new Mac Pro and MacBook Pros, I hope she’s using all those tools! Looks like she does to edit and put out her videos.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Ron, I totally agree about Justine. That’s her shtick and it seems to work for her “brand”. I have no doubt that she’s an Apple fan and it seems to have gotten her to where she is today. I’ve seen a few of her non Apple reviews. But I only watch when she’s got an Apple product I’m interested in.

What has me wondering is with the new Mac Pro and MacBook Pros, I hope she’s using all those tools! Looks like she does to edit and put out her videos.

Nelson,

She does edit on Apple computers and even has an instructional video for Final Cut Pro that you can buy in the app store. One of these days I might actually purchase it as I'd like to try to move on from iMovie to FCP for my video needs.

I enjoy watching Justine. She's easy on the eyes. But the overreacting and screaming in joy at the silliest things make me roll my eyes. However, you are absolutely right in saying that it seems to work for her "brand."

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ok this is a legit HDR experience, unlike the 2018 iPad Pro which technically supported HDR.
68F7E8E0-1C6F-48D8-9319-E67EF01D501D.jpeg

I hate to see your reaction Ron when you get to see one in person. As a movie fan there is nothing else even close.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m not anti-pro use of an iPad.

But I know that still in 2021, important websites don’t work on mobile Safari. And I can’t do actual multitasking with multiple apps onscreen. And an 11” screen is inadequate. And even Apple’s apps like Numbers are inferior to the desktop version for someone with decades of keyboard-first app use.

It’s great that some people go all-in with an iPad. I thought this was the future when it launched in 2010. But ten years later, I begrudgingly conceded that the iPad is a supplement, not a replacement to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To color that more: the iPad is what I need for a mobile device. it lets me have a desktop computer anchored to my home office, and not have to buy and fuss with a laptop. The iPad is absolutely brilliant for traveling, pro and vacation, near and far. I love it as a way to chill out and read dumb stuff online as I’m falling asleep. And with the keyboard case, I can do much better posting to HTF than before, as now, sitting on my deck with a glass of Riesling.

I love the iPad. But it still can’t replace a “normal” “computer” for me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There's not been a single website I have had to deal with ever that has issues with safari. I would be interested in seeing an exhaustive list.

As always, a lot of those can'ts are "I don't wannas". Maybe the interactions don't feel natural to you, but they exist and work well if you learn to work -with- them and actually embrace things like the magic keyboard.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’m not anti-pro use of an iPad.

But I know that still in 2021, important websites don’t work on mobile Safari. And I can’t do actual multitasking with multiple apps onscreen. And an 11” screen is inadequate. And even Apple’s apps like Numbers are inferior to the desktop version for someone with decades of keyboard-first app use.

It’s great that some people go all-in with an iPad. I thought this was the future when it launched in 2010. But ten years later, I begrudgingly conceded that the iPad is a supplement, not a replacement to me.

This has been my argument for some time now and when I bring it up I get pushback.

While the iPad can be a laptop replacement for some that are willing to deal with the workarounds, I just don't feel the natural flow of desktop OS while working with multiple open windows and mobile versions of desktop software.

Inch by inch, Apple is moving iPad OS closer to the desktop experience but something tells me they just want to keep separate devices and experiences. I mean, if they wanted, Apple could get rid of their laptops and move forward with touch-screen iPad/desktop combos. However, that doesn't appear to be one of their goals.

I wasn't impressed by the keynote at all yesterday. I read a lot of feedback on other Mac sites that agree with that assessment, but of course, there were those who were gleefully happy with what was revealed. It's all based on individual needs and we all have different ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks