What's new

M1/M2 Powered iPad Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Apple seems to know not know or are conflicted on what to grind on with the iPad.

The hardware is so advanced, but the OS is years behind. Their multi-tasking model simply isn't good enough, but after years of iterations, they don't get it better or right.

Grinding isn't enough. There has to be vision and and ability to execute the vision. It's really unclear if Apple has a coherent vision for "iPad Pro". And they seem stuck grinding UI path for ipadOS that doesn't lead to the incredible user abilities that the Mac did 40 years ago.

The technology is great and I enjoy it. But it's also in a weird state.

I am going to dare to come in here and agree with that knowing I am going to get slammed for saying it.

I still watch countless videos on YouTube with reviewers saying that iPAD OS is the weakest link to the iPad and for that reason, it can't be considered a laptop replacement.

For me, it's still much easier to multitask and do all the things I need to on a daily basis using a laptop.

I am actually buying the new 12.9" iPad Pro knowing I will hardly use it. However, spending that kind of money will give me an incentive to really put it to use as a desktop device.

I have the Magic Keyboard on my bucket list. However, at $300 or more, it's just a difficult purchase. I am hoping, however, when I do have the opportunity to purchase it, I can better attempt to replicate the laptop/desktop experience.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's great. I'm not saying an iPad can't be used for real work.

But my experience is the multi-tasking features are too complex and fussy and seemingly random to use. I'm a pretty tech-savvy person, and I've tried. But I just can't get into the groove with iPad's approach to multi-tasking applications.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Agree to disagree. Mine is my laptop replacement, does everything I need but I get that others want more. I don’t think it simply running MacOS will satisfy you either.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s not about running MacOS on an iPad. It’s watching Apple struggle to invent the next generation UI and OS. And not sure they can do it. There may not be a next gen that is unequivocally better than keyboard and mouse based on touch. It may be they’ve got something that’s super great for certain things, is ok-enough for lots of stuff, but simply cannot be good enough to displace conventional mouse/windows/keyboard for.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It’s not about running MacOS on an iPad. It’s watching Apple struggle to invent the next generation UI and OS. And not sure they can do it. There may not be a next gen that is unequivocally better than keyboard and mouse based on touch. It may be they’ve got something that’s super great for certain things, is ok-enough for lots of stuff, but simply cannot be good enough to displace conventional mouse/windows/keyboard for.

Nobody else is even close either. That should inform the argument. windows touch is barfarooni

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Blargh, now sites are reporting the old magic keyboard won’t work with the new iPad. That’s some bullshit they didn’t make it clear

Not sure this is trustworthy

OMG! OMG!

This is horribly tragic if true (and I assume it is).

Apple didn't test this product on their current keyboard?

I mean, there aren't any new revisions of the magic keyboard being offered other than a white color of what I assume is the current offering.

I have a Logitech keyboard folio that was designed for the prior models and now I am wondering if that will still fit.

This is inexcusable and I am wondering how Apple will (nor can) address this.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No they are making newer versions of the black keyboard too, according to that article. I remain dubious but it’s messed up either way

It is messed up.

So, there is an actual re-design of the Magic Keyboard available?

I thought they simply slapped a white color on the current model.

Good for those buying a keyboard for the first time, but awful to those that spent $300 for their prior iPad Pro and now have to buy a new one.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am actually buying the new 12.9" iPad Pro knowing I will hardly use it. However, spending that kind of money will give me an incentive to really put it to use as a desktop device.

Good for those buying a keyboard for the first time, but awful to those that spent $300 for their prior iPad Pro and now have to buy a new one.
Apple has built a following that will buy Apple no matter what. It seems to me that Apple has little incentive to have the best OS nor incentive to be price competitive. We’ve got a “cult of Apple” now. When you say you will buy the new product “knowing I will hardly use it”, well that makes no sense to me.

Yeah, all my electronics are Apple but I don’t upgrade my phone every year, both our Macs are several years old and I hope are the last Macs we buy. Also have an ATV4K but won’t upgrade it until something that provides real additional value comes out. Spatial audio might have been it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It’s too soon to really know if the keyboard will not fit I would think, unless it’s really been confirmed with a real 5th gen iPad Pro.

I have some experience in product development and I’m very sure Apple made every attempt to make the new iPad Pro fit any existing accessories such as the existing keyboard. The new iPad Pro had to grow in thickness from 5.9 to 6.4mm. From what I can tell, that was due to the new display. So the added thickness could affect how the existing keyboard folds around the 5th generation iPad Pro. My guess, without knowing all the technical details, the existing keyboard would still attach, but perhaps the added thickness may not allow the keyboard to close as nicely on the iPad Pro?

In looking at Apple’s website that has a comparison page between the 5th and 4th generation, the Smart Keyboard folio and Magic Keyboard is compatible with the 3rd, 4th and 5th generation iPad Pro. I guess we’ll know when the iPad Pro starts showing up in people’s hands.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Added a new accessory to my old pro. Excited to try Xbox streaming on m1
4F83E1FA-669B-43EE-AC96-7DA185482728.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Sam, it’s still not 100% clear to me about the Magic Keyboard incompatibility. I’m not convinced yet because as of last night Apple’s site still says the Magic keyboard is compatible with the iPad Pro 3rd, 4th and 5th Generation. And that article doesn’t show an actual 2021 iPad Pro attached to the old keyboard. :)

I know if you go to the product page, it does say it’s compatible with the 5th generation only. So the Magic Keyboard from last year might very well be incompatible with the 5th generation iPad Pro. I have no skin in this game, I have never purchased a keyboard for my iPad Pro’s. I’m quite happy using the on screen keyboard. Though I often press the same wrong letters or keys as I type. My point mainly is that a responsible company would do its best to make accessories work if possible. But in this case, I can believe because the new iPad Pro has the new display, it makes the iPad Pro thicker. So it follows the old keyboard may not fit as well as it does on the 4th generation iPad Pro. And that’s unfortunate, but as a product gets revised, these things happen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe it’s echo-chamber, but everyone is reporting the original keyboard doesn’t fit the new 13” iPad Pro. Seems to be widely accepted as truth at this point.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sam! That’s good news about procreate. I might have to use it more!

I checked the other design app I use, sketchbook from Autodesk. It appears they are behind the ball. I saw reports of people upgrading to M1 MacBook Pro’s and the desktop version of sketchbook is not fully compatible yet while in Big Sur. And these new Macs cannot downgrade to Catalina. It will be interesting to see if sketchbook will be ok on the M1 iPad Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks