"Lumens" vs. "Ansi Lumens"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RonJ, Nov 29, 2002.

1. RonJ

RonJ Auditioning

I take it one ansi lumen is = to atleast 3 just "lumens"? Am I right?
    I saw a nice sony projector (VPL-HS10) that looks to be a high
    quality projector but is only rated at "1200 ansi lumens" however many
    projectors that appear to be lower quality are rated at "3000 lumens."
    Thanks.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

ANSI lumens and "lumens" are used pretty interchangeably these days. Most 3000 lumen projectors are for business use and tend to be biased towards a very cool (high temp) picture. The reason the VPL-HS10 has just a 1200 lumen rating is their 180w UHP bulb and non-MLA panels (MLA increases the pixel fill ratio and makes the image brighter).

3. RonJ

RonJ Auditioning

I didn't quite understadn that explanation. Is there a FAQ or something that might help me out? I know that there is an ~$8500 JVC projector that has slightly more than the 1200 (but less after calibration whatever that means) so I'm assuming that 1200 is pleanty for a large screen home theater application (10-12 feet across).

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

It depends.

A screen that is 12' across is about 125.6" wide and 70.6" tall. This means the screen is 61.6 square feet.

Let's say you want the THX & SMPTE recommended 16 ft-lamberts of illumination on the screen with an ideal setting (no ambient light). We'll hold screen gain constant at 1.0 for a minute.

We would need:

16 * 61.6 = 985.6 lumens of illumination.

Let's say we start with the Sony HS10 with 1200 ANSI lumens (manufacturer rating, with new bulb).

UHP bulbs lose roughly 20-25% of their max illumination rather early in their life, and stay roughly there until their demise. Let's say in this example we only lose 20%. We're now at:

1200 - 20% = 960 lumens

UHP bulbs tend to run rather hot, upwards of around 8000 degrees K. For video, you want white to be 6500 degrees K (also known as D65). After calibrating the projector, you'll lose upwards of 40% off the max illumination, but let's assume the HS10 loses a very very low 10% of this number. We're now at:

960 - 10% = 864 lumens

As you can see, with a 1.0 gain 12' diagonal screen, assuming you'd like the screen to be 16 ft-lamberts, there's no way you can reach it with 1200 manufacturer rated ANSI lumens. We're only at about 14 ft-lamberts, which is still reasonably acceptable. If we choose a higher gain screen (ie. the Stewart Firehawk with 1.35 gain), we can bump this number:

864 * 1.35 = 1166.4

1166.4 / 61.6 = 18.9 ft-lamberts of illumination.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Our eyes perceive brightness on a logarithmic scale. This means, a doubling of available light will seem like less than a doubling of brightness.

2. If you have ambient light, you're going to need a LOT more brightness to compete. Remember, a direct view TV set runs upwards of 80 ft-lamberts or so (though less when calibrated), and some of the newer plasma units can hit upwards of 200 ft-lamberts.

3. In general, the higher your screen gain, the better it can reject ambient light. However, it also limits your viewing angles.

5. RonJ

RonJ Auditioning

Thanks. Don't quite understand all the technical terms but I get the idea. Maybe I need a projector with higher illumination. I wasn't aware of all these losses from calibration and bulbs. The good news is the theater room will be in the basement. There is a sliding door and a small window but I plan to hang heavy thick black curtains over both so there hsould be 0 light in that room other than the projector during movie viewing.

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Get the HS10, it is a sight to behold! I don't think you could go wrong plunking $2500 down on the HS10.

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

RonJ:
    Calculations aside, you really should see it for yourself. Everyone has his own preferences. Not everyone thinks a bright, punchy picture is necessary. Even if they do, not everyone preceives 16 ft-lamberts as the minimum cut off point. I'm at about 65 ft-lamberts on my setup. [​IMG]
    You actually have a lot of flexibility though, because you have tight ambient lighting control. If you can, go see some projectors and let your eyes decide.