Low Profile 10" Sub - Need a Driver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Jessee, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

I need to build a new sub to fit under an equipment cabinet, so my size is quite limited. The maximum dimensions are 11.0" high, 12-13" deep and 36" wide, for a gross volume of approximately 3 cu ft. I had planned to use the Titanic 1002, but I just noticed it's overall diameter is 10-15/16"! I had hoped to recess the driver in the front panel, but that's impossible with this.

Can anyone recommend a 10" sub driver that's really 10"? I'd prefer a sealed system, but I'd consider a vented box if it can be accurate with music (I already have two 3" Precision Ports).

A reasonably priced 8 ohm driver would allow me to use two drivers with my 300-794 for added slam, as long as it could go deep enough to be a true sub. I'd like to keep the driver budget to $150 or so.

Can anybody suggest a driver than can do what I need?

2. Pete, are you asking for a 10" driver that has a 10" OUTER diameter? you won't find one.
    about the best I can come up with are ones that are 10.25" OD

3. ...or...how about 4x TB W8-740C

..they are 8" Tangband subs.

Alternately, you can use 4x MCM 55-2421

I haven't modeled them, but I'd expect that you would need to EQ the low end.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tony,

EQ is right. I have a TB W8 in a 15L enclosure with the PE 300-796 (with the 5dB boost at 30Hz). It has a Qtc around .4 or so. IIRC, from some rough measurements I took, I'm getting an F3 around the mid 30's, in relation to 80Hz, so it's not too bad. It really rocks in a small bedroom!

I finally got my 12" Stryke PR on Monday so a PR version will be up and running by the end of next week.

Brian

P.S. It's great being able to build cabinets all day, every day!

5. Peter Jessee

Anthony Gomez wrote:

6. I can think of a perfect 10" driver...but a pair of them will be over $150. Also, they are 4 ohm drivers, so you would need 2 amps.
    SB-10 www.stryke.com
    SV-10 Used to be sold by ACI, but you can pick them up at www.meniscusaudio.com You will have to call them
    These drivers are designed for sealed boxes at about 1-2ft^2. depending on the driver, you get a q=0.707 with an F3 around 33-36hz.
    here is the old data on the SV-10
    http://www.subwoofers.com/MobileAud/...ivers/sv10.asp

7. Peter Jessee

8. The SV-10 can be had for about $120 iirc.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

If you decide to go with the SV10 call to make sure they're still available. I know that ACI is completely discontinuing selling them to outside sources. So once Meniscus sells out they're gone. Of course, I think Tony said they were working on their own version.

Brian

10. Peter Jessee

11. Peter Jessee

I talked to Mark at Meniscus Friday, and they have started making the SV10's, so there is a continuous supply of them now. Looks like I'll be building a 1.3 cu ft box for one of these little guys.

BTW, I just got the Meniscus catalog, and they show a picture of an 18" ACI woofer (a mere $750!?). Yowza! She's a big 'un.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Peter