What's new

Low Profile 10" Sub - Need a Driver (1 Viewer)

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I need to build a new sub to fit under an equipment cabinet, so my size is quite limited. The maximum dimensions are 11.0" high, 12-13" deep and 36" wide, for a gross volume of approximately 3 cu ft. I had planned to use the Titanic 1002, but I just noticed it's overall diameter is 10-15/16"! I had hoped to recess the driver in the front panel, but that's impossible with this.

Can anyone recommend a 10" sub driver that's really 10"? I'd prefer a sealed system, but I'd consider a vented box if it can be accurate with music (I already have two 3" Precision Ports).

A reasonably priced 8 ohm driver would allow me to use two drivers with my 300-794 for added slam, as long as it could go deep enough to be a true sub. I'd like to keep the driver budget to $150 or so.

Can anybody suggest a driver than can do what I need?

A

Anthony_Gomez

Pete, are you asking for a 10" driver that has a 10" OUTER diameter? you won't find one.
about the best I can come up with are ones that are 10.25" OD

A

Anthony_Gomez

...or...how about 4x TB W8-740C

..they are 8" Tangband subs.

Alternately, you can use 4x MCM 55-2421

I haven't modeled them, but I'd expect that you would need to EQ the low end.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tony,

EQ is right. I have a TB W8 in a 15L enclosure with the PE 300-796 (with the 5dB boost at 30Hz). It has a Qtc around .4 or so. IIRC, from some rough measurements I took, I'm getting an F3 around the mid 30's, in relation to 80Hz, so it's not too bad. It really rocks in a small bedroom!

I finally got my 12" Stryke PR on Monday so a PR version will be up and running by the end of next week.

Brian

P.S. It's great being able to build cabinets all day, every day!

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony Gomez wrote:
...or...how about 4x TB W8-740C, Alternately, you can use 4x MCM 55-2421. I haven't modeled them, but I'd expect that you would need to EQ the low end.
It looks like a LOT of EQ to flatten those babies out in a sealed box. I have a 14' x 18' room that opens to a kitchen/dining area that's another 500 sq ft or so, and I don't think I'd get what I need from those. I have a RAVA now (going up for sale soon, BTW, to finance this pipe dream) and it sounds quite good in this room. I'm trying to come close to duplicating it's performance.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of two 8-ohm woofers. Two 10" woofers would have 40% more cone area than my 12" Shiva, and two 8" drivers would almost match it. I'd prefer 10" drivers, but I guess 8" could work if it dug low enough. With two drivers sharing the load, and a little EQ, I might not need a super-woofer here. Can anyone suggest a driver that would work well in 0.5-1.25 cu ft each?

Peter

A

Anthony_Gomez

I can think of a perfect 10" driver...but a pair of them will be over $150. Also, they are 4 ohm drivers, so you would need 2 amps.
SB-10 www.stryke.com
SV-10 Used to be sold by ACI, but you can pick them up at www.meniscusaudio.com You will have to call them
These drivers are designed for sealed boxes at about 1-2ft^2. depending on the driver, you get a q=0.707 with an F3 around 33-36hz.
here is the old data on the SV-10
http://www.subwoofers.com/MobileAud/...ivers/sv10.asp

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I can think of a perfect 10" driver...but a pair of them will be over $150. Also, they are 4 ohm drivers, so you would need 2 amps.
SB-10 www.stryke.com
SV-10 Used to be sold by ACI, but you can pick them up at www.meniscusaudio.com You will have to call them
These both look pretty good, and I would only need one of either of these for what I'm doing. $169+shipping is a bit steep for a 10", though. I'll have to think about this.
Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced (

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
If you decide to go with the SV10 call to make sure they're still available. I know that ACI is completely discontinuing selling them to outside sources. So once Meniscus sells out they're gone. Of course, I think Tony said they were working on their own version.

Brian

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
The SV-10 can be had for about $120 iirc.
I sent them an e-mail to see if they still have any.

In the meantime, has anyone used the Peerless 260 SWR or CSX 257? They both model to an F3 in the low 40's in a 1.25 cu ft box, and are around $60 a piece. Looks like a good candidate for a two-fer. Any advice to pick one over the other?

Thanks!

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I talked to Mark at Meniscus Friday, and they have started making the SV10's, so there is a continuous supply of them now. Looks like I'll be building a 1.3 cu ft box for one of these little guys.

BTW, I just got the Meniscus catalog, and they show a picture of an 18" ACI woofer (a mere $750!?). Yowza! She's a big 'un.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks