What's new

Lots of equipment for DSS HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Mike Buckles

Agent
Just from looking in the archives and posts, it appears that I'd have to buy alot of equipment besides the tv in order to enjoy hdtv on dss...at least with Dish. Do you have to buy 2 dishes with Directtv also? I wouldnt mind investing in dss equipment, but I really don't want 2 dishes...is there a dss system that has: "here's the box, here's the dish, enjoy your HDTV..." guess for technology's sake, one has to make compromises!!! Also, what am i looking at costwise to get into all this? Mike Buckles

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, you do have to have 2 dishes to get HD on both systems I believe. Anyway, I have posted this before on several other threads, but figured I would give you the same story. If you are going to be a new DISH subscriber it is not that bad of a price (around $400). If you are a current subscriber, then the price goes up exponentially. However, if you go to Sears with a print-out of one of the new-subscriber deals from the net, they will match it. Got the 6023 system (includes everything you need - 2 dishes, 2 switches the 6000 receiver etc.) and then you are ready to go. If you also buy the 8VSB module for the Dish 6000, then you will also have OTA HD capabilities as well all in one nice box. So really it is not too bad. Especially if you can place the 2 dishes right next to each other - makes everything neat and tidy and not like a radio station. After everything is installed, you can very easily have a nice and tidy setup that did not cost that much.
C. Ryan

HiHoStevo

Agent
Real Name
Steve
You do not need two dishes with DirecTV to receiver HD programing. You do need to hit two satellites (101 & 119), so you either use to of the older style small dishes or one of the Elliptical dishes that can hit both at the same time.
Steve
Ps. Of course DTV only has one HD channel.......

Mike Buckles

Agent
Thanks for all the great advice! Hey, Cryan, do you know what e-retailers have the special you're mentioning? I checked on the Sears website, and the system was about 700.00 or so. mike buckles

CRyan

Screenwriter
This was the page I printed out.
http://www.allsat.com/product.shtml
It was fairly simple to do. The manager even called corporate to verify and that was it. Got if for a great deal. I am sure that you can do the same. Actually saw another post on AVSforum of someone that did the same thing after I did it, so there you go.
C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks