What's new

Lost: Season 5 (3 Viewers)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

I've considered that; but take note of a few things:

They did come from the Hydra island, so the closest dock should be the Pala Ferry, right? EDIT: No I guess this one isn't true as the dock didn't have the Pala Ferry sign on it and was shaped differently. Also the other island wasn't visible from the Pala Ferry dock.

Also the barracks is surrounded by the sonic fence, and is not close to the shore, as seen on the map in season 3 that they pulled from the flame before lock blew it up.

As far as the sub is concerned, we saw in this episode even, that the new recruits are delivered to the barracks from the sub in the Dharma van, so it is clearly far enough away to require a vehicle.

I may be completely barking up the wrong tree here, and these items may just be oversights by the writing/editing team, but I'm just sayin'.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Good points but I can't see a reason why Dharma wouldn't build the barracks reasonably close to the dock. When Locke blew up the sub in S3, it didn't take him that long to get from Ben's house to the sub.

Overall, it certainly wasn't the smoothest edit but it's not like the characters went from one side of the island to the other either.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I agree with this as well, but the writers might be able to say people that are recovering from being sedated are in no condition to walk to the barracks.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

???

Did you even read what you quoted? I said *alternate* 2007, not a different year completely. Of course they are still in 2007.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

One of the primary rules of the show is that the past cannot be changed and that there are no "alternate" timelines. There is only one. If there are minor deviations along the way, the timeline self-corrects. Charlie had to die.

The whole show is about fate. Alternate timelines are not going to play into this at all.

Desmond is the wild card who may be able to bend that rule, but he is not back in the past.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Did the writers tell you this? If history is any indication, the writers/producers are very open to changing the rules along the way.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wish no one would put spoiler info for other shows in this topic.
many haven't watched other shows and are catching up on dvd.

I mention this because it is serving no purpose to post info for another show
and because the spoiler info is not hidden in email notices.

I haven't read that bsg spoiler so it may not even be anything, but
there is still a chance it may.

Mike Prades

Agent

Two things:
1) Isn't the nature of most TV series to keep going until people lose interest?
2) This show has a set conclusion date in 2010.

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
Man, that picture is creepy. My first thought was that it would be Claire but I agree with the previous poster that, although fuzzy, it looks like Charlotte.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

Yes, Cuse and Lindelof have stated that there is only one timeline and that fate is a large part of the show.

Where have they changed rules along the way? Things take time to be revealed, and obviously the role of Ben was drastically altered from its original concept, but that's not a rule change.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
What I can not understand about Ben is why Sawyer did not notice him before or say anything to O6 or now O4. Hurley even talked about how Ben was going to kill them all so you would think that young Ben would have came up.

I really like Jack but I was happy that Sawyer put the hammer to him. It seems like Sawyer has his act together and I think he makes a good leader.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Isn't that the same guys that back in season one said there was a scientific explanation for everything on the show?

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
What did Kate say right before they left the cliff to go to the Dharma camp? She said a sentence or two and even though I rewound a couple of times, I couldn't make out what she said.

Anyone know?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I understand that fully. In fact, I have, on more than one occasion, explained this very notion on these forums. However, there are four things nagging me away from this hardline stance, this one and only time:

1) The Hydra's runway was completed. The last time we saw it, the runway was barely under construction--I think we, the audience, were meant to take note of this, and not simply assume "gee, the Others sure can toss a runway together fast, considering everything that went on between them, the LOSTies, the mercs, et cetera..."

2) The Processing Center looked run down and dilapidated, not simply fortified for the merc assault (and we know the LOSTies never fortified it). Again, I think we're meant to take note of this, and not simply assume "wow, while the Others lived in New Otherton, they kept absolutely everything, including the little shanty down by the water, in great condition. Oh, except the processing center." Also, since The Purge took the Dharma folks by surprise, that would seem to entail that the processing center was either run down *before* The Purge, or the Others boarded it up, and left it be. both seem curious.

3) The plane was flying through the night sky, and then landed in the daytime, following the white flash. While this can be explained away with the timeflash itself, I again think we were supposed to make not of this fact.

4) The Numbers were being broadcast over the radio, in the same creep "iteration..." voice, as the plane was attemping to land. This is yet another piece I feel the audience was meant to take note of.

These four things are curious, to me, and with Desmond and Faraday out there somewhere currently unaccounted for (are we to believe Desmond is going to simply remain at home, playing lego with his son, for the next season and a bit?), I'm treating the "course-correction" as a rule made to be broken. At least for the time being (no pun intended).

Edit: If you read that quote from the Cuse/Lindelof, it clearly is referring to a completely different flavour of alternate reality, that is, with reference to the flash-forwards, and how if people thought those scenes were changeable, then they wouldn't care as much about them (and I agree). As long as they don't create a paradox, there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Double Edit: I added one more item, upon re-watching the episode.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've still never seen that quote. Not to say that they didn't say but I think they probably said that the explanations for the show's mysteries would have some scientific basis (rather than "It's aliens" or "They're ghosts") and, for some reason, people took that to mean that there would be a scientific explanation. The second episode after the pilot, a paralyzed man walks again with no problem- that pretty much rules out science.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

It's not a spoiler at all, even though he allowed that it might be. He said (about the woman lurking in the shadows), "Maybe it's Baltar's 6!" Since Baltar's been seeing that thing since almost day one, it doesn't qualify as any kind of spoiler. Unless, the spoiler is that she gets red hair tomorrow. :D

Could someone refresh my memory on what the last thing was that happened before the LOST logo came up? Was it just Christian telling Sun she had a long journey ahead of her?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It ended with Sayid locked up and meeting young Ben as he delivered him a sandwich (sans mustard
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought it ended on a bombshell, but I wasn't sure since that wasn't so surprising. I just knew that both of those scenes left me thinking, "No, don't let the hour be up yet!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks