What's new

Looks like Maverick will head to DVD... (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Bob Gu said:
Brad, I did say I received pressed Maverick S-5, today.Importcds has cancelled orders in the past on some titles for me even when they come back in stock. Sometimes I reorder, sometimes I go elsewhere. Their shipping is usually pretty fast once it gets out of California. But that can take a week sometimes.When I can wait, I like to order pressed archive titles from importcds since they are cheaper than WAC or the other Super D sites even with the postage they charge most times. Lately, I have been ordering direct from WAC in most cases.This $3.99 Maverick price will probably gone as soon as they notice the mistake.
Sorry, I misread, my mistake. For some reason I thought you already had it but just ordered it again (for whatever reason) from ImportCDs because of the pricing. Interestingly, there was a person on the other site that also received an item at the low price while the rest that reported ordering it said their's was cancelled.

I received my Sugarfoot season 2 from ImportCDs and i ordered several Olive Blu-rays in the past from them based on the pricing, but the last few times i checked their prices on what I was looking for wasn't that good. At least not enough of a discount once shipping was added, and taking in consideration how long it takes to get to me. So i stopped looking and just ordered from WAC since I was more assured of "pressed" disks from them.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Susan Nunes_329977 said:
I ordered it just now, so we'll see if I actually get it at that price. It'll probably cancel.

Just so you know, it is a title that is part of a clearance sale:

http://www.importcds.com/Clearance/DVD
I already have it or I'd give it a try myself. Hope it ships. It is an interesting title to hit clearance so quickly, but then again it was a bit steep initially price wise for so few episodes and little to no Garner.

Too bad out of 247 items there isn't anything else of interest to me on clearance.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Watching the later episodes on Encore Westerns, I find the later season episodes with Moore and Kelly just as good as those with Garner. As much as I like him, I never thought he was the "whole show."

The greatness of the series was always with the quality of the writing.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Thanks for the heads-up on the Maverick: Season 5 deal, Bob Gu. I just pulled the trigger on that and Season 4, since I haven't seen any good offers for either of them, so far, on the WAC site. Hopefully this order will go through okay, and that both will be pressed sets. If so, I basically just got a two-for-the-price-of-one deal. :cool:

Now I'm really hoping Amazon and/or others will have some sort of Memorial Day/Father's Day sale pricing on Rawhide: Season 7, Vols. 1 & 2, as Amazon's pricing on those has been pretty steep, so I'm biding my time.

And, yeah, as Susan Nunes says, even with Garner gone, the remainder of Maverick is pretty solid. In particular, I'd put the Roger Moore episode, "Red Dog", up there with the better Garner episodes. The last few Jack Kelly stories got a little extra slapstick-y at the very end of the series' run, but those are still enjoyable.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Wow. What a deal! I got sucked into buying Gobots and Belle's Magical World too. The total came to about $25.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, I hopped on the saddle for this one, and agree with Susan that the writing is ultimately makes the series, though Garner does lift it to another level. Not a fan of wooden Moore, but Jack Kelly always did a great job with his episodes. Still going through season 4 and really consistently enjoy almost every episode.

Sucker shipped already.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
RE: Season 4. The sudden introduction of brother Brent to replace an unhappy Moore was a surprise when I watched this series in syndication multiple years ago.

Watching those two episodes now, Colbert wasn't bad in the role at all. For whatever reason, he was gone for season 5. But the two episodes he was in were actually pretty good and well written.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
In regards to a release for YOUNG MAVERICK, responding on the official Maverick page of Facebook, a rep for WB stated just yesterday that it will hopefully be soon.

Hope my hopes aren't raised for no reason.....

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
James Garner was and is a world-class actor. His ability to use facial expressions for comic effect is almost unequalled in acting. There is no question he borrowed as much of his acting style from Cary Grant as from Henry Fonda. I don't want to sound like I am belittling him because I have always loved his work from the time I was a little girl. It is just I believe the episodes without him were just as good.

Roger Moore didn't think much of his work on the series, but I actually liked the episodes he was in, too. It didn't hurt he was even easier on the eyes than Garner, if such a thing is possible.

It's kind of depressing in a way both Garner and Moore are both 86 years old now.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I have a question and this seems like the best place to post it.

I know the Maverick brothers each cameo'd in an episode of Sugarfoot, but did any of the Mavericks appear in any of the other WB western series??

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Looking up Bret and Bart Maverick on IMDB, the answer to your question bretmaverick2 is, "No".

James Garner played Bret on "Lily for President?" in 1982.
Jack Kelly played Bart on an episode of "The Fall Guy" in 1983.
Never seen any of those shows/episodes.
Although I do remember Bart appearing in a Kenny Rogers "Gambler" tv movie along with other western tv characters.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Thanks for the info.

Well, color me disappointed. In answer to my Young Maverick question of Warners Archives page, the respondant / company rep stated yesterday that it is on their radar but not in the immediate future. While appreciating having all of Maverick and the single season of Bret Maverick, I was hoping to have the entire thing by year's end.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
bretmaverick2 said:
Thanks for the info. Well, color me disappointed. In answer to my Young Maverick question of Warners Archives page, the respondant / company rep stated yesterday that it is on their radar but not in the immediate future. While appreciating having all of Maverick and the single season of Bret Maverick, I was hoping to have the entire thing by year's end.
I feel your painJames

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I was actually surprised that they released Bret Maverick so fast. Since Season 4 was released in November of last year we had 3 Maverick releases in 6 months which is a lot for one show/franchise. So not at all surprised if Young Maverick doesn't come out until early next year.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I agree, Randy. I was pretty surprised as well when Bret Maverick was released so closely to Season 5!!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Hollywoodaholic said:
I actually got the Maverick season 5 in the mail already from the $3.99 sale. Thanks again for passing that info on.
Ditto! I also ordered Season 4 (not at quite so low a price, but better than anywhere else, including Warner's own site) in addition to the super-discounted Season 5. Both arrived in the mail today, and both were pressed sets. This was my one true "grail" show from Warner's catalog, so it's great to finally have it all, complete, sitting on my shelf. :cool: :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks