What's new

Looks like Maverick will head to DVD... (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Very pleasantly surprised to see Bret Maverick available so quickly. I know Warner promised it, but I assumed it would be later.I like Bret Maverick and it was a good chance to revisit the character. Nonetheless, I see why it struggled. I think there were two key differences from the original conception of the character and it worked better the original way. First, Maverick was conceived as a wanderer, allowing the stories to be of the semi-anthology variety that was popular in early TV drama. A Maverick would meet an interesting cast of characters each week, and then move on. Settling him in a town with a regular cast was more in line with television in the 1980s, but it was a very different world for Maverick.Secondly, Maverick was always an honest poker player interested in making honest money and being left alone. When he was cheated, or when someone else had been cheated, he was quite capable of running a magnificent con to outwit a villain, but he never started out to con anyone. On Bret Maverick, he was more or less honest, but he was always looking for "angles," even before he was dragged into a problem and that was also a very different take on the character's attitude. In his original form, Maverick was a kind of Bugs Bunny figure--he went about his business until someone wronged him. In Bret Maverick, he seemed to have one eye on everyone else's money to begin with.Without spoiling the final episode for anyone, I think the producers had a good plan for addressing these issues in the second season of the series, and it's a shame we never got to see the results.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't know that I ever watched a episode of Bret Maverick, but with Garner as the star I'll pick that one up as a blind buy simply because I don't think I've ever seen anything in which he starred that I did not like, even the lesser films and TV shows.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
BRET MAVERICK is good. There are several episodes that are extremely well written. One episode, "HALLIE", just made me think that if the actress that played Samantha Crawford has still been alive, it would have been entitled "SAMANTHA".

I really liked this series, though, and was sorry to see it end. And I just ordered it.

Now I am gonna wait for the surprise release of YOUNG MAVERICK.......

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I hope I wasn't disproportionately negative earlier. I definitely recommend Bret Maverick to fans of Maverick. I think a number of the episodes are excellent and I ordered it already myself.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Am I the only one that finds it odd that BRET MAVERICK wasn't announced until the day is was actually released by WB?? Especially when s5 of MAVERICK was announced a bit in advance??

I just think it would have been nice to have 'em announced together, maybe along with YM. Now I'm paying full shipping on two seperate items!!

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
There is much more of an ensemble cast. The only regular that I didn't care for was the actress that played ML Springer. Annoyed me through every episode. Tom, Bret's partner in business, was well cast as the former sheriff turned saloon owner.

It's hard to compare the writing of the series as it was a different tone. Bret was older and trying to settle down, key word is 'trying'!!

if you are a fan of MAVERICK, I don't know how or why you would pass up BRET MAVERICK, truly!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
While it's not yet indicated on the title listing, Bret Maverick is now in the TV Replicated Disc section. Maverick, Season 5, is still missing but I'd expect it to show up on that list before much longer.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
BobO'Link said:
While it's not yet indicated on the title listing, Bret Maverick is now in the TV Replicated Disc section. Maverick, Season 5, is still missing but I'd expect it to show up on that list before much longer.
I don't think it goes there until after the release date. Bret Maverick was officially released yesterday while Maverick Season 5 is still a preorder.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Glad to see this information (RE: Replicated discs)!!!!

Now (oh, please Holy Mother of God!!!!!!!) I just need to see that information that tells me I can order YOUNG MAVERICK!!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have any guesses on when New/Young Maverick might make it out? There's only been about ten episodes.James

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Not sure, but when I asked on WBArchives facebook page, about YOUNG and BRET, the company said a definate YES to both - meaning YOUNG MAVERICK will definately be out at some point!!

Since BRET was up for sale before an announcement was made and so close on the heals of Season 5, I am hoping the wait won't be too long!!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just received "Bret Maverick" and "Maverick" season 5 from WB and can confirm that they are pressed disks, as expected.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Yep, both of mine are replicated, as well!

Already watched the Lazy Ace episode of BRET MAVERICK. As much fun as I remembered!!

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Maybe my glasses are playing tricks on me, Anyone else notice that Bret's house
outside of Sweetwater is the same house that Neva Pattersen character used in
NICHOLS?

Had no clue that Ed Bruce and James Garner sang the title song in the LAZY ACE episode until I saw the closing credits.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Ed Bruce released an album around the time of the series premiere.

It featured a full track of the theme song with he and Garner singing the theme. Garner even sang one verse himself!!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I don't know if this is a mistake or a secret sale, but importcds.com has Maverick: The Complete Fifth Season listed at $3.99...$8.98 shipped.I noticed this on Sunday May 11 and ordered it. I wanted to wait until I actuallyreceived it before posting in case it was a mistake.Today, Friday, I received the pressed Maverick Season 5 set. I was surprised I received it so fast, since they use that DHL/USPS hand-off system, which sometimes seems to add another 5-6 days to the shipping process.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Bob Gu said:
I don't know if this is a mistake or a secret sale, but importcds.com has Maverick: The Complete Fifth Season listed at $3.99...$8.98 shipped.I noticed this on Sunday May 11 and ordered it. I wanted to wait until I actuallyreceived it before posting in case it was a mistake.Today, Friday, I received the pressed Maverick Season 5 set. I was surprised I received it so fast, since they use that DHL/USPS hand-off system, which sometimes seems to add another 5-6 days to the shipping process.
I saw something similar with ImportCDs once before where they had a few complete series for $3.99 + shipping. I ordered one of them, Riptide, that I recall seeing when originally aired in my younger days, Not a title I needed but for the price i couldn't help myself. All the titles appeared to be out of stock and out of print. ImportCDs has a policy where if the order isn't fullfilled within a certain period of time they automatically cancel it. In the end it was cancelled, no big deal for me since I could better use that money in other purchases anyway.

I believe ImportCDs only distributes "pressed" copies of WB Archive titles. So in their case they may only get one batch of a title to sell, so while not OOP it may be permanently out of stock for them. Why these titles fall into this pricing, I don't know (on purpose to get people to their site?). It will be interesting to hear whether your order is fullfilled or cancelled.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Brad, I did say I received pressed Maverick S-5, today.Importcds has cancelled orders in the past on some titles for me even when they come back in stock. Sometimes I reorder, sometimes I go elsewhere. Their shipping is usually pretty fast once it gets out of California. But that can take a week sometimes.When I can wait, I like to order pressed archive titles from importcds since they are cheaper than WAC or the other Super D sites even with the postage they charge most times. Lately, I have been ordering direct from WAC in most cases.This $3.99 Maverick price will probably gone as soon as they notice the mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks