Looks Like Highlander Season 1 Coming Out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_B, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

According to a couple of online merchant sites, Highlander Season 1 will be available next week. Is anyone else excited about this? Has anyone heard about the quality of this set?

Doug

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Digital Bits should have a review posted pretty soon...

-Vince

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Have it on my desk in front of me, as Vince said my review should be going up soon.

4. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

The only difference between this one and the Highlander store only one is the packaging right?

6. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

God I hope so, I was one of the first to jump on this and I hope they didn't add anything or I will be p.o'ed as I will have to buy it again........that would just suck...

R~

7. Jeff Kleist

Yes, and the bugs that were in that version are fixed

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

9. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Thanks for the info. I missed the previous threads because I limited my search to one month back :b

10. William-R

William-R Agent

i payed a lot for this on vhs back in the day is their realy any use to get the dvd i realy only liked the 1st ep
    of season 1 but thats just me =)

11. Jeff Kleist

There is a "Best-of" set on Highlander-official.com that has I think the 13 best eps as chosen by the producers and the fans that might fit the bill for you
    http://www.highlander-official.com/boh_homemain.html
    What the actual content is is quite ambiguous, but the do mention the pilot
    If it follows Season 1's quality, the DVDs do have superb image and sound, especially considering the low budget origins.

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

What an amazing review at DVD File. He says the television series didn't add much to the mythos. When in reality (as I see it), Highlander: The Series turned what had been a rather slight action/anti-hero movie into a story of romance, adventure, ideals, and the pursuit of virtue even as one faces the likelihood of death. It was a series that took the concept of Highlander (the movie) and refined it far beyond it's b-movie roots. And one should look at the era in which Highlander began - as the HIV crisis was immense, and the concept of an immortal hero who had to watch his friends die, and who himself could die at any time, was more than a little poignant.

Though I admit season one, which didn't have the Watchers or much story arc, was probably not the best way to realize this (Season one was essentially "villain of the week" and the visual look of the series was a bit Miami Vice - it hadn't turned gritty yet). But to give short thrift to the whole series as DVD File did simply suggests the reviewer there isn't too seasoned.

Highlander, the tv series, gave new life to the franchise, and is why the last film (Highlander: Endgame) was by far the second best Highlander film - because the tv series had by then taken the lead in being what HIGHLANDER is all about, and it therefore influenced the texture of the film. (Though not entirely succesfully, due to Miramax's overt efforts to regress the more mature concept into merely another action flick, which the producers speak of on the film's commentary track). And it was a shame that the film was not able to shoot in France, as many of the episodes (roughly hald of each season) of Highlander: The Series were. That european texture that the tv series introduced became crucial to the appeal of the show - I don't think anyone prefered the episodes shot in "Seacouver."

Looking forward to more seasons of Highlander:The Series. Jim Byrnes joined the show in the second season, didn't he?

13. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

14. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter