What's new

Looks Like Highlander Season 1 Coming Out (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
According to a couple of online merchant sites, Highlander Season 1 will be available next week. Is anyone else excited about this? Has anyone heard about the quality of this set?

Doug

Brian E

Screenwriter
The only difference between this one and the Highlander store only one is the packaging right?

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
God I hope so, I was one of the first to jump on this and I hope they didn't add anything or I will be p.o'ed as I will have to buy it again........that would just suck...

R~

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info. I missed the previous threads because I limited my search to one month back :b

William-R

Agent
i payed a lot for this on vhs back in the day is their realy any use to get the dvd i realy only liked the 1st ep
of season 1 but thats just me =)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There is a "Best-of" set on Highlander-official.com that has I think the 13 best eps as chosen by the producers and the fans that might fit the bill for you
http://www.highlander-official.com/boh_homemain.html
What the actual content is is quite ambiguous, but the do mention the pilot
If it follows Season 1's quality, the DVDs do have superb image and sound, especially considering the low budget origins.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
What an amazing review at DVD File. He says the television series didn't add much to the mythos. When in reality (as I see it), Highlander: The Series turned what had been a rather slight action/anti-hero movie into a story of romance, adventure, ideals, and the pursuit of virtue even as one faces the likelihood of death. It was a series that took the concept of Highlander (the movie) and refined it far beyond it's b-movie roots. And one should look at the era in which Highlander began - as the HIV crisis was immense, and the concept of an immortal hero who had to watch his friends die, and who himself could die at any time, was more than a little poignant.

Though I admit season one, which didn't have the Watchers or much story arc, was probably not the best way to realize this (Season one was essentially "villain of the week" and the visual look of the series was a bit Miami Vice - it hadn't turned gritty yet). But to give short thrift to the whole series as DVD File did simply suggests the reviewer there isn't too seasoned.

Highlander, the tv series, gave new life to the franchise, and is why the last film (Highlander: Endgame) was by far the second best Highlander film - because the tv series had by then taken the lead in being what HIGHLANDER is all about, and it therefore influenced the texture of the film. (Though not entirely succesfully, due to Miramax's overt efforts to regress the more mature concept into merely another action flick, which the producers speak of on the film's commentary track). And it was a shame that the film was not able to shoot in France, as many of the episodes (roughly hald of each season) of Highlander: The Series were. That european texture that the tv series introduced became crucial to the appeal of the show - I don't think anyone prefered the episodes shot in "Seacouver."

Looking forward to more seasons of Highlander:The Series. Jim Byrnes joined the show in the second season, didn't he?

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Looking forward to more seasons of Highlander:The Series. Jim Byrnes joined the show in the second season, didn't he?
Yes. The second season is also when this program hit it's stride...and continued to be excellent until the end of the fifth season.

I feel that this show (which was my favorite television program) suddenly "Jumped the Shark" in the fifth season finale, but I will still pick up the entire series as it is released on DVD...well, maybe not season six. I wouldn't mind an episode or two from that poor excuse for a season, but I'm not too sure I'd pick up the "entire" collection from that season...but then again, there were only about half the number of episodes, so it might be fairly inexpensive...

I can't wait for season two -- which I will purchase from Anchor Bay, instead of the Highlander Store. I may have had the first season for almost a year now, but I paid twice as much as those who waited, and was very lucky that there weren't any glitches in my set. I've heard numerous horror stories...

Hopefully "There can be only one" will not refer to Highlander seasons released on DVD...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks