What's new

Looks as though DRAGONSLAYER is on its way for this year, if all goes well... (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
RobertR-

Scrooge
is the only other title I keep PRAYING
Paramount will release during 4th quarter.

Last I heard, after starting several threads about it,
is that Paramount was "looking into it" but it didn't
seem likely.

Too bad the best holiday musical EVER is still only
available in widescreen on the LD.

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
Scrooge is probably going to make this year's cut. And yes, Dragonslayer will be 16:9. I'd forgotten Get Real was regular widescreen - it may have been the last one....

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. Blythe...Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!
Will the Region 1 Dragonslayer be released in July as well? :D

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mr.Blythe, Robert Harris said you were a true gentleman,
and if, indeed, Scrooge "makes the cut" for
this year, I will be buying mulitple copies of it, too,
and singing "Thank You Very Much"
(a song from Scrooge)
dedicated to you all the holiday season!!!

Soon to be a non-whiner...

Mark

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Too bad the best holiday musical EVER is still only
available in widescreen on the LD....
Mr.Blythe, Robert Harris said you were a true gentleman,and if, indeed, Scrooge "makes the cut" for
this year, I will be buying mulitple copies of it, too,
and singing "Thank You Very Much" (a song from Scrooge) dedicated to you all the holiday season!!!
I echo those sentiments, Mark! Thank you Mr. Blythe!!!

I like life, life likes me....:)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Martin,

Awesome news about 16x9 Dragonslayer.

Any hints as to even a "general" release date?

If paramount *ever* were to really do an SE with plenty of extras...this would be the title the fans would clamour to pay for. Please pass these sentiments along to the marketing folks...I'd pay handsomely for any documentaries or deleted scenes/commentary I could get my hands on!

-dave :)

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Martin, was "The Carpetbaggers" a 3.0 or 4.0 on it's original release, or are we hearing a stereo version mixed specifically for home video?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
A thread where I find out BOTH Young Sherlock Holmes and Dragonslayer will be in my home in 7 months.

Great, great, GREAT, GREAT NEWS!!!

Thanks for making my day!

Take care,
Chuck

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
My question to Mr. Blythe would be this:

Were DragonSlayer's negatives and soundtrack fully restored, and were the optical effects cleaned up and digitally re-composited? It's a great movie, but marred by some of the most obvious and jarring optical composites I've ever seen (even the dragon seems to have a "force field" around it).

Superman The Movie Director's Cut had a gorgeous face-lift done by Warner Brothers and, I believe, Lowry Digital (which cleaned up the Indy Trilogy). So good, in fact, that it was theatrically re-released (I'm assuming Lowry used high rez. exhibition quality digital restoration techniques). One of the best comic book adaptations EVER and it was lovingly restored, digitally re-composited, color corrected, wire-removed, remixed, etc (almost looks like a fresh movie), but thankfully no added CGI effects. DragonSlayer has got to be one of the most "fantasy-like" of all the numerous fantasy films and a cult classic, and I hope Paramount did right by this title.

Crossing fingers that Paramount would have the same consideration as Warner Brothers seems to have now for some of its classic catalog titles.

Dan

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Superman The Movie Director's Cut had a gorgeous face-lift done by Warner Brothers and, I believe, Lowry Digital (which cleaned up the Indy Trilogy). So good, in fact, that it was theatrically re-released (I'm assuming Lowry used high rez. exhibition quality digital restoration techniques). One of the best comic book adaptations EVER and it was lovingly restored, digitally re-composited, color corrected, wire-removed, remixed, etc (almost looks like a fresh movie), but thankfully no added CGI effects. DragonSlayer has got to be one of the most "fantasy-like" of all the numerous fantasy films and a cult classic, and I hope Paramount did right by this title
#1 When was Superman re-released into theaters? I thought they canceled this.

#2 According to the commentary & documentary (and my memory of those) there was no digital wire removal done because the original people who painstakingly hand painted out the wires did such a good job.

#3 As far as I know there was no "Digital re-compositing" done to any of the effects in Superman. What are you referring to?

#4 Dragonslayer isn't Superman or Star Trek The Motion Picture, it was a total flop upon it's release and then gained a cult following afterwords. I don't understand why you think the resources & just flat out cash would be considered a wise investment for this title.
Me personally I am just glad to have it on DVD with a (hopefully) fine transfer...as I said, anything else is icing.

But that's just my opinion.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
and were the optical effects cleaned up and digitally re-composited? It's a great movie, but marred by some of the most obvious and jarring optical composites I've ever seen (even the dragon seems to have a "force field" around it).
Your comments about the visibility of the optical effects is accurate, but I don't feel that most fans would want this part of the history of this film to be altered for home-video. Give it to me the way the film-makers made it and I'm happy.

Just please don't add any annoying EE/ringing to distract big-screen viewers!!!

-dave

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
And here I thought that everybody already knew that the release date for Dragonslayer was Oct. 21st. Oh well.

Glenn

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
My sentiments are exactly like Kevin M's:
we're lucky to be getting this film released on DVD, with Paramount's excellent record of doing what they can to make the elements look good without a costly restoration or enhancment that this film, while I love it, does not justify considering its position in the general public's awareness compared to Superman or Star Trek.

Mark

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
And note that Superman WAS released in theaters, "in select cities" (in other words, nowhere near me :frowning: ). If you need "proof", I believe Harry Knowles (Ain't It Cool News) wrote up a review of the theatrical experience he had...you can perform a search over at his site (I avoid it like the plague these days; too messy).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hey, like I said the last news I heard was that they canceled the theatrical run, I would have known if it had been widely re-released around my neck of the woods because I would have been there (shrugs shoulders).

Not much of a fan of Harry Knowles BTW.:)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am responding about the superman movie screening.. (not related to dragonslayer)

I have seen the superman:Se in the texas screening. I also saw the movie in LA. Its has been playing around the country.. since then.. it will be playing in new york tomorrow night and also two screenings in June.. I have info at my site: www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks