What's new

Looking to upgrade my system...what should I look for? (1 Viewer)

RobCole

Grip
My current "setup" really isn't all that great, but it works fine for me. I have an old Dolby ProLogic Pioneer VSX-458 (think that's the model #) with Acoustic Research 215PS Bookshelves and Acoustic Research 428PS Towers, and an AR Center (226, I think). I have some old crappy Bose speakers that I run in the kitchen right now, but I'm not really concerned about upgrading those.

I'm looking to upgrade my receiver, mainly, but I'm kinda concerned about going overkill. I know that there is a great deal on a Denon 3802 right now, and my mom has one of them...they are great receivers, but I don't know if I really should shell out $699 for one right now.

The main thing I'm hoping for is to be able to deliver a little more power to my sub - it's probably the best component of my system right now, a Velodyne CT-120.

Would an 1802 or 2802 be enough for me? Or should I just go through with the 3802?

Rob

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Once you settle on a budget, it will be easier to help you.
A new receiver will deliver no more power to your sub, since it has it's own amp, however it will definitely sound better with a DD/DTS receiver.
That is a pretty good deal for the 3802, but the 2802 would probably do just fine as well. I would also consider the Marantz SR6200 or 7200 (AC4L.com for some good prices)

GaryAR

Agent
have you considered getting a used denon AVR3300? it's a great amp, especially for the price (i think they go for about $325 or so on ebay). i love mine. just a year ago it was a $1000 amp... you wouldn't have to eat that kind of depreciation though.

as for your sub, are you sure it's powered by the amp? most subs have amps built into them and there's just an rca line that runs from the amp.

-gary

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
definitely upgrade the receiver. since you only have a pro-logic receiver right now, the improvement will be significant.

if your budget is around 700.00, you've got a lot of flexibility. i'm not too up on specific models anymore, but look at (in no particular order): onkyo, yamaha, denon, & outlaw. any receiver from those brands will work very well.

i don't know about your sub, but as others have mentioned, it should be self-powered. so, buying a new receiver will not have any significant impact on the sub (except maybe having some sort of adjustable cross-over).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 3802 might actually go lower since the new models will be coming out sometime this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks