What's new

Looking for . . . (1 Viewer)

PatH

Second Unit
a database program which can handle multiple media. I don't want to limit it to DVDs and I don't require a lot of visuals right now. Basically, I need to know what I have, what media it's on, and where it is. There are other frills for self-recorded VHS, but I figured I'd decide on those as I went along. I don't see the need to include info I can access readily on the Web, and I consider Genre one of the silliest categories in a database. I mean, if I have "The Searchers" and don't know it's a Western, I don't need to have it.

So, you can see that organization is the key here. I need it for my books, my CD's, my VHS, my DVDs--all of it. And, as a friend of mine once said, "If you have it but don't know where it is, you don't have it."

I've considered Access, but I've inferred from here and there that Microsoft doesn't support it very well--unless bought separately, it's only bundled with Office Pro. I've also heard it's not very easy to use to set up apps. I always thought multiple databases would be the way to go, but there would have to be some way to interrelate them. Has anyone out there used Alpha 5? The comparison charts I've seen against Access look impressive, but then of course, they're trying to sell the product.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PatH

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
why not use mysql, it's free, and will be easy to add visuals to when you need them. i'd say you don't need a database "program". try out openoffice.org if you want a free one, though.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks