What's new

Looking for some guidance, thanks. (1 Viewer)

inline300

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Ive read and re-read till my eyes have glazed over and things have begun to make less sense. :D

I have an insignia IS-HTIB102731 home theater system. Bought it four years ago and up till recently, it is fine, sounds pretty good for what I paid. The dvd/cd's are starting to freeze/resume play or not be recognized by the system at all "loading" "no disc" results are common, so its time to replace it.

With all the options available out there, I figure Ill get input from those into home electronics.

I generally use the home theater in stereo mode, so a 2.1 home theater would work fine for me.

I would really like a system with a sub that can kick hard with some clean bass, not a real fan of boomy, Id rather get a punch in the chest.

Id like a system that has some sort of manual equalizer, not only preset options.

I need something that has RCA input.

I need something that can put a clean picture on my screen when I play dvd's.

I dont need am/fm

I would really like something under $200. It can be refurbished or good used condition.

I would be open to buy a seperate satellite speakers/sub/receiver/dvd player vs buying an HTIB.

Id like input on sources for reasonably priced home electronics. ebay and amazon dont seem to be that place.

The insignia speakers I have are 80w max 4ohm sattelites and 100w max 3ohm passive subwoofer. If I could reuse those with pieced together components, that would be fine, if not, then Im sure I could give this crap to someone.

Im not someone that will want to upgrade in five years, unless what I have is broken. I want something that will sound good but good is good enough, I wont be wishing I had bigger and better in six months. If the dvd/cd player was working ok on the insignia now, I would not be here but its not, and Im here, so I try and seek something with a clean sound with some low end punch and a good dvd player. I could go buy a cheap dvd player, run it to the faulty dvd receiver and im sure it would fit my needs well but then theres just another component stacked on another component, making a big old mess of ugly. Id rather just have everything in a nice tight package, since im in the spending mood, might as well see if I can find something better at a good price, right?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I really don't know much at all about $200 htib systems but you're asking for a lot for that amount. If it were me (or is it "I" ?) I would look for something used on craigslist. Look for an older Onkyo speaker/receiver package like the HT-500, HT-520 or maybe the HT-780. I've seen them for about $125 to $150 on occasion, sometimes a lot higher but be patient. They are very basic by todays standards but sound surprisingly good for what they are. I recently paid just $75 for an Onkyo 6.1 speaker package with a 10' powered sub. Then get either a good used dvd player or one on sale at a big box store for $40-$50. To get any kind of decent bass you need a powered sub, not a passive one. I would try this approach rather than another htib.

I wouldn't try to use the Insignia speakers/sub with any other setup. The ohms are a bit too low.

inline300

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Makes sense.

I know your against HTIB's and I understand your reasoning, but Ill just throw this out there.

What are your thoughts on philips HTS33720/F7

Seems it has some manual equalizer ability and a class D amp.

Ill check out classifieds and look for the onkyo in the mean time.

Think at one time I had an onkyo, I know it was expensive but its been a while.

Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm not against htib's it's just at your budget I think you can get a much better performing system by getting a good used one.

What are your thoughts on philips HTS33720/F7
They do pack a lot of features into these things these days but something has to suffer and sound quality is probably it. Also, I don't think it has an actual adjustable equilizer but 4-5 eq settings like Rock, Jazz, Classical, etc.

Do you have an RTA with a calibrated mic?
For a $200 system? I doubt it. .

inline300

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Your right, I shouldnt have used the word equalizer.

Definitely the wrong terminology.

I was trying to say it has some bass, trebble, mid adjustment, I believe, which suprisingly enough, isnt an option on all.

Found this onkyo HTIB for 160

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=41312422&source=k232270&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-Performics-_-k232270-_-Primary

Anyone have thoughts on that one? I probably wont know what to look for, vs someone thats into home electronics.

Well if anyone sees an onkyo or some other nice setup for sale somewhere or has something for sale personally, let me know, Im interested.

Thanks

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
That's not a bad system, especially for the price. One issue is that it doesn't have HDMI input options. But you'll do fine for now (I don't run HDMI yet and I'm not suffering too badly).

The bigger drawback is the speakers. It has a passive sub, so it's driven by the receiver and not a separate amp. That reduces the overall performance of the system. You said, "I would really like a system with a sub that can kick hard with some clean bass." This system won't give you that, but you're not going to get that in your price range. You'd be lucky to get a stand-alone sub for $200 that meets that description. Another consideration is since it doesn't have a line-level out for the sub, you'll have to make sure you get a sub that accepts an amplified signal if you ever want to upgrade.

It also has satellites, which can be fine (again, I use them) but they don't provide the same quality as larger speakers. If you're not using the system for music it's fine.

This system is not bad by any means, you could do MUCH worse. Just don't have unrealistic expectations. Personally, I'd recommend doubling your budget and shopping used. At that point you can move to the next level of performance.

inline300

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Your right, but Id like to keep the budget at or under $200.

I dont reckon I have to feel my heart skip as the bass hits but I guess Id rather go with a subwoofer setup thats more clean than boomy, it doesnt have to be perfect.

Keep in mind, Im content with the insignia system I have know, if the dvd player worked, I wouldnt be here or searching for a new system. I could easy buy a cheap dvd player and wire it in but I dont wanna mess with it. Id rather just get something thats working and give the insignia to my nephews. :) With that said, if I end up with a receiver that does ont have a dvd player build in, I can live with buying a cheap dvd player to stack on it. my perfectionisitc mind can live with that. :D

I dug the classifieds this morning.

Ill post what Ive found, you fellers get some time, tell me what you think. I woulda posted links and my sources but Im afraid someone else might jump on them. :D

onkyo HT-S780, everything works $185

denon S-101 $125

sony str k660p $100

The denon, which I think is supposed to be a good brand??, based on what ive read anyway, has mixed reviews, as many bad as good but damn the 125 price tag seems interesting.

the sony comes with another logitech system, price seems way too good, thinking my fingers might burn if I touch those two, but who knows. :D

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Subs - You will never see us recommend a sub that sounds boomy. We strive to recommend the best quality at your price point.

Your idea of "perfection" has already caused you problems. If an integrated system has a failure, then the whole system is almost worthless. That's why most of us use separate pieces of equipment. If one fails, it is easily replaced without impacting the other equipment.

Yes, Denon is considered a good manufacturer.

inline300

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Done a little more looking.

Maybe I need something like a shelf stereo or whatever they call it. two main speakers and a sub.

I could always connect a dvd player and tv to it.

Cause right now, all I really have room for or care to have is two front speakers and a sub. so really a 1000w surround sound sytem wont mean jack crap if Im not using but three speakers. where a lesser watt shelf system would be directing the wattage to the three speakers and offering potentially more bang. seems some of these systems offer a surround function to kinda give the surround sound vibe. also notice some systems have powered subwoofers.

any thoughts on that approach?

thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How about a sound bar with a powered sub?

I don't use any "fake" surround mode. If I was stuck with 2 speakers, I would use stereo. It's just like the sharpness setting on a TV, I don't want anything added to my audio or video signal.

inline300

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I dont know much about soundbars, Ive seen a few listed but honestly skipped over them out of my own ignorance. Id be open to suggestions though. I found a sony HT DDW660 for $85...tempting.

Ill look into soundbars, throw some suggestions my way. Thanks

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Here is another option. If all you want is a 2.1 system then why not look at a set of PC speakers. I have a Logitech Z5300 which is a 5.1 system hooked up to my computer which I paid about $150 a few years ago and sound pretty decent in a 12' X 12" room. That plus a cheep stand alone DVD player for $50 will put you in business for $200. I am sure that that Logitech system will sound as good or not better than what you currently have.

inline300

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I can get a philips HTS6515D refurbished 90 day warranty for 190 shipped original retail was 300+

here is an amazon link to product details

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HTS6515D-1080p-Theatre-System/dp/B0013PQ6R2

Anyone have thoughts on the philips unit?

Only reason I would opt to NOT go with the logitech computer speakers and a dvd player is honestly, I know someone thats willing to give me a dvd player now, I could easily wire it to the insignia I currently have, be out zero dollars and just as happy. Probably hard to believe but the insignia actually sounds decent, in stereo mode, it actually has some bass too with the right placement in the room, and not be overwhelming to those two tiny speakers.

Originally I said Id be open to stack components, so your response was very reasonable, is reasonable but since Ive done some searching and getting a feel for what is out there, and letting compulsion subside while reality set in, I guess my objective is more of a 2.1 dvd system (or 5.1) for simplicity and space savings. If I can get something that will play dvd/cd's reliably (at least a couple years occassional use) and give me a boost in sound performance (at least make one window rattle ever now and then), then I can justify spending the money but if Im just gonna stack components to achieve a goal, then Ill just keep what I have, and go get that free dvd player. But I really have the itch to spend money on something I dont really need. lol

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks