What's new

Looking for projector recommendations +/- $2,000 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
John
Hello all-

I have posted a similar question in a couple of other forums but had no luck getting recommendations so I thought I would give it a whirl here. Thanks in advance for any replies!

I am setting up a movie/tv/game room and am looking for projector recommendations. I have the ability to black out the room but often times we will be watching sports or playing games with some light in the room, other times watching blu ray movies in total darkness. I was really thinking about something in 1080P but a nice woman at 'projector people' strongly suggested a Panasonic PT-AX200U for my application. She said that only the most discriminating viewer would be able to see a difference between it and some of the less expensive 1080P models like the Mitsu 3800 while watching HD movies and that the Panasonic would be far superior for gaming and sports viewing.

My screen is about 120" diagonal and made of some sort of white, stretchy material made for projection, I think it was called 1X something. The ceiling is 16' high so the projector will be mounted on the opposite wall overhead, about 19' away from the screen with no obstructions to worry about. Viewing will be up to about 15 or so feet away from the screen. We will use it for playing Wii as well so I need some headroom in front of the screen to play without blocking the PJ picture.

Light control is not difficult as there is only one small window in the room but I would like a projector that can perform with some artificial directional light in the room as well as throw an awesome HD movie in total darkness. There is a pool table and dart board in the same room and I want to be able to use them at the same time as the projector. We will watch a lot of sports and HD TV as well as movies on the set.

So with all that said, any suggestions?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I would take a look at the Panasonic AE-4000u. Visual Apex sells it for $1,999.

Another to look at is the new Epson 8500UB. VA sells it for $2,499 and it comes with a $200 rebate.

Here is a list of projectors at Projector Central have put on their editors list for 2009 that might help in making a decision. They rate the Panasonic and Epson as a couple of their favorites and even do a shoot out comparison review between the two.

Parker

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

Out of the above 2....get the Epson...great little unit (for the price) and will light up the 120 screen without any problems.

Brian I

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Ingalls
That pricing is for the Epson 8100, a fine projector for the money for sure, but I think they were referring you to it's big brother, the Epson 8500UB. It can be found for around $2200+/- I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks