What's new

Looking for my first DVD player... (1 Viewer)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Hi all, first post...I'm looking to buy my first DVD player. I still live w/my parents, and they have the only decent TV in the house (by my standards), so it'll be on that. It's about a 6 year old 32" RCA, nothing fancy, but it does what we want it to. We have a Proscan VCR that everything runs through, and a newer basic RCA DirecTV receiver. Everything is S-Video. I'm looking for something that will make use of the features of the TV and nothing more - I don't need something that has all kinds of extras that we won't even be able to make use of. The budget is about $150, I know it's not a lot, but I also know there are plenty of players well within that range. I am going to be buying a place within the next year or so, and I'll probably get all new stuff at that time, so there won't be any/much upgrading going on at my parents' other than the DVD player. FWIW we also have a crappy (don't even know the brand) surround sound setup, no sub, running through a Sony receiver (don't know the model). So I guess I'm really open to all suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Tim

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi tim -

welcome to htf. this question is asked a lot. i recommend you visit the audio/video forum and do a search. lookup words like 'recommend', 'dvd', 'budget', etc.

you're right...there's lots of decent dvd players within your price-range.

personally, i really like sony dvd players. they consistently get good reviews...especially their ability to do what (i believe) is called "in-player letterboxing". i think that has to do with the player's ability to display a widescreen (16x9) picture in a normal (4x3) screen.

i've had my sony for some time now and it's working perfectly. i bought it new for 199, now i'm sure similar models are around 150.00.

good luck!

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Thanks Ted, I'll check the other board. I checked prices on Sonys, and their lower end ones cost $129. I'll check into them. Thanks again.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
no problem tim. good luck.
btw - my friend just told me he saw a dvd player at walmart for 60 bucks! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks