What's new

Looking for Mirage Omni c150 to finish 7.1 system (1 Viewer)

uofadevil

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
So I purchased an older line of speakers new in the box from woot.com... I purchased 2 Mirage Omni 550's for fronts and 4 Omni 150's for my rears. Problem with this special was that they didn't have the matching Omni c150 for the center. I would hate to settle for something else, but will be using another center until I can track one down. It looks like searching on the web, I might be able to buy one from a chain of stores out of Canada, but I'm here in Arizona, and haven't wanted to take it to that just yet. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance folks!

uofadevil

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
Phil,

Thanks for the replies! I saw that same c150 on ebay, but unfortunately, I'm trying to match it to black as well. I looked through the websites you suggested, and it looks like they don't have anything either. I have definately thought of just buying another pair of the satellite 150's and just using one as a center, but I don't really know how that will sound with the "omni" design as well as the hight of the speaker would get in the way of my tv. I did find a company in Canada that still seems to have stock of the c150's, but they don't anticipate shipping and selling to the U.S. till next year. I'll just keep digging, or see if there are any other retailers I can track down that still have one of these guys in the back I guess...

Thanks for all your great suggestions!

Nate

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Nate - have patience. You can always just wait and check those sites and do a phantom center for a bit. I have a friend who after listening to his needs recommended Axiom Audio. He patiently waited until he found the sub in the B-Stock store. Do you know anyone in Canada who would take delivery and then forward it to you? Perhaps there are even members here. Yes you may have some extra shipping and taxes but you'd get what you want.

uofadevil

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
Phil,

After doing some serious digging on the web, emailing to retailers in Canada, and even phone calls to reps who don't seem to represent Mirage anymore, I've found that it may be harder to find a black c-150 like I was hoping, not to mention potentially costly compared to what I paid for the speakers that are due to arrive in the next few days. I'm starting to lean towards your suggestion of using one Omni 150 out of another pair as my center or even another 550? So here's the full situation, if you have time, I'd love your thoughts as you seem to know what you are talking about. I used to sell high end audio back in the early 2000's but have been out of the loop for some time and would love a second opinion from someone else.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR626, which I plan to use in a 7.1 setup, and a 65" LG LED fixed mounted to my wall. I purchased the Mirage Omni 550's for my front left and right, two pair of the 150's for the four rears/surrounds, and unfortunately figured the center wouldn't be so hard to come by. The interesting part is that I found these speakers brand new on a subsidiary of Amazon called Woot.com. The 550's were $99 each and the 150's were $99 a pair! After doing a little more research online, I'm starting to think that 1 Omni 150 might work well for the center and I would just have to mount my TV a few inches higher moving the bottom of the actual viewable screen from 29" to 33.5" off the ground. I even contemplated purchasing a third 550 for the center but this would put my screen roughly 40" off the ground which I feel is too high when sitting on the couch and cause me to have to find a new way to store my receiver, directv receiver, game systems, etc. though having three towers up front is still VERY tempting.

This sale on these speakers ends tonight at midnight East coast time, so I have to make a decision soon. I could buy the extra pair of 150's and use one until I am able to find a c150 if even needed at some point, or just go with the 550 and move my TV much higher and start shopping for two short bookshelves to flank the 550. If I went with the 150's and found a c150 later on, that would leave me a nice pair of bookshelves for another part of my house as the receiver does have zone two capabilities even in a 7.1 setup if I use a second amplifier. I could also save them for the new Dolby Atmos application if I ever upgrade the receiver. Still, the three towers upfront would be awesome, especially at the same cost. I just can't be sure if I'll be happy with the TV up so high. Lastly, from what I've read, I almost wonder if the 150 might even be a better blend with the fronts than the c150 anyhow and I'm over thinking things. The c150 is not an omni polar design and so I wonder if it might sound a bit strong compared to the 550's since it is directing it's entire sound forward vs the 550's and 150's.

I know that's a ton of info, but I hope you, or anyone else reading this forum might be able to share an opinion as I feel I should do something before this opportunity passes.

Thanks!

Nate

uofadevil

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
Phil,

Well, I went a head with another set of 150's, think they'll come in handy regardless of what I end up doing on the c150 down the road. I took a look at all your setups and I have to say I'm very impressed! You make the theater I'm trying to build look very basic, I appreciate you taking the time to help me even though it's clear you use much higher end equipment than I am working with. I am working with a very unique room arrangement where I hope the omnipolar design helps make up for some of the less than ideal aspects of my room. I feel, if done correctly, it will still be something to be proud of though. I'll try and work on a diagram of it's layout if you'd be interested in looking at it. I plan to run wires in the walls to all my rear speaker locations and possibly the fronts to give it as clean of a look as possible and to keep my 16 month old son out of trouble. I'd still be curious on your thoughts of what I'm planning on doing with the center channel situation now that I have that extra set of bookshelves.

Have a good weekend and go Wildcats!

Nate

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Nate it will be fine. The front channels are of course essential to sonically match. The receiver with Audyssey set-up should properly set stuff up. I have multiple HTs. In the master bedroom I have a 92 inch screen (pic below) that folds into the ceiling (used to have a huge TV in the old house and it was just too big and then I had speakers so I went with 5 in-ceilings so it looks like a bedroom - have a 32 inch TV if I want to watch the news now and then and a projector with the big screen).

The main room is the avatar to the left of the post. That's 9.2 and is an integrated high end audio/HT. I am waiting to have the in-ceiling speakers installed hopefully in the next couple of weeks so I am Dolby Atmos ready. I have a small bedroom with a 5.1 system that has in-ceiling surrounds and I am go to add side surrounds and use the in-ceiling ones for Atmos. I have a 4.1 system in the bonus/guest room. I have another 2-channel system (I do have in-ceiling surrounds) and a 2-channel system in the office (where I do have in ceiling surrounds but they are not currently hooked up.

MBR System.JPG

uofadevil

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
Phil,

Thanks for the confirmation, hopefully I'll have the speakers all in my hands soon. I don't know when I'll be able to wire up the rears but I'm looking forward to getting the front stage set up right away. Regardless, I know it's better than what I have right now, but I'll still be curious to see how these speakers sound to my ear in comparison to all the descriptions I've read online. I'll keep you posted as things come together.

Thanks again!

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks