What's new

Looking for ideas on dealing with a patio door in a basement theatre (1 Viewer)

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
I'm looking for opinions on what to do with an old, sliding glass patio door in what will be the right wall (back of the room) in my basement home theater. You should know that the door does not work well, and we rarely use it. I don't see us using it at all once the theater is finished.

I guess my options are: use a curtain, and hope the light leak isn't too bad; blackout (paint?) the glass somehow; close off the opening with drywall; replace with a new door or doors (haven't seen any solid doors that fit in this 72"x80" opening); or use some kind of combination (blackout the glass and hide behind a curtain).

I guess I could also have building code issues if I interfere with door function.

Anyone have experience with this problem?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If it's permissable by local code in your situation, just take out the door and frame the opening as if it were an outside wall, and make it disappear.

Dan

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I'd use a curtain with blackout lining.
I bought some curtains from Target and safety pinned blackout fabric from www.joann.com and it worked like a charm.

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
A company called Screen Ex has a blackout screen intended for just this problem. I happen to be in the same situation with a patio door in my media room. So far vertical blinds have done an okay job but I'm looking into this product. I think I'd prefer this to curtains for my application.

screenex dot com/blkoutcontent.html#color

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
The screenex product is interesting, but the price seems a bit high. (I could actually replace the doors for that price.) Still, I like the concept. I'll probably go with Glenise's idea, but maybe I can rig up something similar to the screenex blackout screen...

I had vertical blinds up, but the style I had are practically worthless for light control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks