What's new
World Wide Stereo

Looking for Horn Tweeter Tower Speakers - Upgrading (1 Viewer)

JustinMKN

Auditioning
Hi folks, long time reader and big fan of the forum. I built a home theater about 8 months ago, and when putting things together I was on a budget. I've got all different kinds of speakers

Cerwin Vega V-12 (Front 2 channels)
JBL NorthBridge (Center Channel)
Polk Audio book Self speakers R15 (4 rear channels/surrounds)

So far my one big investment (Everything above was used, cheap, or a hot deal). Has been my reciever, Denon AVR-3806 which I'm very happy with.

Now I'm looking to upgrade my speakers. From all the "Theater" joints around town, the one line I continue to be impressed by is klipsch. For what appears to be the "Horn Tweeters". I ONLY use this system for Home Theater Application, not really music. So the Horn Tweeters seem to give the more powerful crashes etc. My Audiophile friend indicates I like the "Harsh" tones of things.

Anyway I've got maybe $1500 and I'm looking to upgrade my Front Left, Front Right, and possibly my subwoofer setup (Right now I've got 2, 8 inch 300 watt woofers, one in the front, one in the back, but they cost about 150-200 each and are a boomy when pushed much).

Seems like klipsch might be my only route? Whats the best bang for the buck? I saw some BIC Speakers but not enough solid responses/reviews yet. Right now my room setup is about 15x15 . So I dont have a huge room, but 5 years from now if I move, I'd like to think my investment will still last!

Thanks

728x90

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Justin

You might not believe it, however there are some rather small speakers that you could set up right now that would blow you away...you would continue to use your present speakers for surrounds...then, you would get 3 bookshelf speakers from HSU for about $450, an HSU VTF-3MKII subwoofer for $612 delivered, and an MBM 12 for $400 plus shipping...the MBM can deliver 120db at the seating position with it placed in a nearfield position.

Please keep in touch.

PS Please see www.hsuresearch.com

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Klipsch are excellent home theater speakers. Don't let anybody talk you out of them, if that's what sounds good to you. I had a pair of RF3II towers (as well as an RC3II center and RS3II surrounds) as my right and left front speakers, while living in the states and I hated to part with them. They were great speakers. Klipsch not only represents a great legacy, but is still one of the best values out there in loudspeakers.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You should definitely upgrade the center channel at the same time as the left and right. Otherwise your front soundstage will probably sound pretty funny.

Pickup the Klipsch C3 center and a pair of the F2 floorstanders (all Synergy series) and that will set you back $939 which will leave you enough to pick up an SVS PB10 sub (or a 25-31 if you stretch the budget by about $50-$100 for tax on the Klipsch and shipping on the SVS).

JustinMKN

Auditioning
Thanks guys, 2 solid choices. I can hear klipsch at all the local stores, even best buy sells them. But I cant listen to the other model HSU, but it does look like a new system as well. 2 Bookshelf and a center channel. At least there are other companys doing the same thing which is good. I'll have to look in to the woofers. One of the woofers mentioned was a mid range woofer, something I hadnt heard of before. I use 2, 8 inch woofers that are crummy in my current setup, one right next to the listeners turned maybe 1/4and the other up front turned up maybe 1/2. Seems the one HSU Sells is much better then what I'm trying to pull off :)

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The Klipsch F2s are -3db at 39Hz. If you get something with that kind of response you really don't need a mid-bass woofer.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Justin

Thanks for looking at the HSU website.

It is impossible to describe the impact that the MBM 12 would actually have sitting a few feet away from you...all I can say is that 120db at the listening position would be almost unimaginable in its impact...people have left other demonstrations at high-end Audio Video shows to return to the HSU demonstrations because of the clarity and ungodly amount of bass from the VTF-3MKIIIs and the MBM 12 combined with the HSU bookshelf speakers...I would just continue to use the speakers you have for surrounds and get the HSU package...you can always contact HSU and sometimes you may get to speak with Dr. HSU...and you can fax them your room layout and they will advise you on the best way to arrange your speakers.

scott>c

Second Unit
Klipsch are definately great speakers. If u dont mind going the used route u could get the klf-c7 and some klf-20`s for around a grand from the Legend line. Great speakers and one of the best centers I`ve heard. Check out the reviews on audioreview http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/floor...4_1594crx.aspx and http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/floor...6_1594crx.aspx. I`ve had this set up in my main setup and can`t find anything to replace them. Also the Rc-7 is another one to check as the reference line got revamped so their is some deals to be had. These would definately be an upgrade from the synergy lineup and could be had for around their retail price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks