What's new

Looking for good SA-CD Player Info (1 Viewer)

JasonLaz

Agent
Let me fill in my situation. I just got a new Zenith 318 DVD player that does the 1080 upconversion, etc. that I love so I'm going to be using that for the movie watching as of now. What I'm interested in is a good SA-CD player though. Most of what I have seen are piggy backed on DVD players though. Is there a good one for my situation? I don't mind if it does come with a DVD player but keep in mind I won't be using it for DVD use, just music use so think about that when you recommend something. I have the AVR-3805 and while the Denon 5900 looks sweet and would be awesome for the Denon.Link capability...I'm not spending $2K on a DVD player that will most likely be outdated or worn out in a year. I would rather spend less on the DVD/Audio players and get a good one but not top of the line and be able to junk it and upgrade year after year on those types of things and spend the bigger bucks on the higher end receivers and speakers that I will be keeping for several years instead.

Are there any sites that have good comprehensive information on the current crop of SA-CD players and how they stack up against one another? I would prefer not to go to the sites where it's all the owners just saying how great their own player is and more to a site where there they have compared a lot of them and knows the differences as opposed to some fanboys of whatever they currently own and want to feel vindicated that they bought the 'best' one. Maybe something like remotecentral.com for SA-CD's is what I'm looking for?

JasonLaz

Agent
Let me fill in my situation. I just got a new Zenith 318 DVD player that does the 1080 upconversion, etc. that I love so I'm going to be using that for the movie watching as of now. What I'm interested in is a good SA-CD player though. Most of what I have seen are piggy backed on DVD players though. Is there a good one for my situation? I don't mind if it does come with a DVD player but keep in mind I won't be using it for DVD use, just music use so think about that when you recommend something. I have the AVR-3805 and while the Denon 5900 looks sweet and would be awesome for the Denon.Link capability...I'm not spending $2K on a DVD player that will most likely be outdated or worn out in a year. I would rather spend less on the DVD/Audio players and get a good one but not top of the line and be able to junk it and upgrade year after year on those types of things and spend the bigger bucks on the higher end receivers and speakers that I will be keeping for several years instead.

Are there any sites that have good comprehensive information on the current crop of SA-CD players and how they stack up against one another? I would prefer not to go to the sites where it's all the owners just saying how great their own player is and more to a site where there they have compared a lot of them and knows the differences as opposed to some fanboys of whatever they currently own and want to feel vindicated that they bought the 'best' one. Maybe something like remotecentral.com for SA-CD's is what I'm looking for?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are very few, if any, SACD only players on the market any longer. You are going to have to look for a used player, of which there are plenty of good ones, most from Sony. 2ch or muilti-channel? I am using a 222ES, but will probably look to pick up a 555ES used, both can be had for very reasonable prices.

I HIGHLY doubt the 5900 will be obsolete or break down in a year, regardless of price paid, but you don't need to spend $2k, you can get the 2900 and have an excellent all around player for half that.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are very few, if any, SACD only players on the market any longer. You are going to have to look for a used player, of which there are plenty of good ones, most from Sony. 2ch or muilti-channel? I am using a 222ES, but will probably look to pick up a 555ES used, both can be had for very reasonable prices.

I HIGHLY doubt the 5900 will be obsolete or break down in a year, regardless of price paid, but you don't need to spend $2k, you can get the 2900 and have an excellent all around player for half that.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Why "SACD only" and not a universal (SACD/DVD-A)? Did I miss something? I didnt know the 318 was DVD-A capable.

5900 doesnt pass SACD via the denonlink.

What type of audio setup do you currently have? (It makes a difference)

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Why "SACD only" and not a universal (SACD/DVD-A)? Did I miss something? I didnt know the 318 was DVD-A capable.

5900 doesnt pass SACD via the denonlink.

What type of audio setup do you currently have? (It makes a difference)

JasonLaz

Agent
OK, I don't necessarilly have to have SA-CD only, it can be a DVD-A player as well and FYI, the Zenith doesn't do DVD-A either as you noted. I'm looking for something that does 5.1 output though so that will narrow the field down some and if it plays CD's good thats a bonus though I figured most that did DVD-A/SA-CD would do both those and CD's with no problem either. Like I had stated, it doesn't matter if its a good unit and DOES play DVDs but that isn't the primary reason for the unit that I would be buying so DVD movie playback isn't a consideration for me in what I'm looking to get.

I guess can someone list some models that I should start researching at least? That would be a start. I guess I can look into that Sony 555ES but I would prefer another brand as I have had absolutely horrendous durability issues with all Sony products the last 3-4 years and vowed to myself to never again buy one of their products due to them breaking about 1 month after the warranty expired on them (happend to me 4 times on different items).

JasonLaz

Agent
OK, I don't necessarilly have to have SA-CD only, it can be a DVD-A player as well and FYI, the Zenith doesn't do DVD-A either as you noted. I'm looking for something that does 5.1 output though so that will narrow the field down some and if it plays CD's good thats a bonus though I figured most that did DVD-A/SA-CD would do both those and CD's with no problem either. Like I had stated, it doesn't matter if its a good unit and DOES play DVDs but that isn't the primary reason for the unit that I would be buying so DVD movie playback isn't a consideration for me in what I'm looking to get.

I guess can someone list some models that I should start researching at least? That would be a start. I guess I can look into that Sony 555ES but I would prefer another brand as I have had absolutely horrendous durability issues with all Sony products the last 3-4 years and vowed to myself to never again buy one of their products due to them breaking about 1 month after the warranty expired on them (happend to me 4 times on different items).

JasonLaz

Agent

Well that is interesting. I guess the new models won't output SA-CD sound though the Denon link either then? That is a letdown, especially if I just spent $2K on a DVD player.

JasonLaz

Agent

Well that is interesting. I guess the new models won't output SA-CD sound though the Denon link either then? That is a letdown, especially if I just spent $2K on a DVD player.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

I asked this so that I may get a feel for where you are at. An entry level universal (pio 578 or onkyo 802) may suit your needs, a mid level (2900 refurb,2910,yamaha s1500), or high end (3910/5910, or new pio elite). No since in buying capability that you cant take advantage of.

If none of that matters to you, I would say that the best player is the Onkyo sp-1000. That player will last for years to come.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

I asked this so that I may get a feel for where you are at. An entry level universal (pio 578 or onkyo 802) may suit your needs, a mid level (2900 refurb,2910,yamaha s1500), or high end (3910/5910, or new pio elite). No since in buying capability that you cant take advantage of.

If none of that matters to you, I would say that the best player is the Onkyo sp-1000. That player will last for years to come.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you're only considering audio, you might want to look at the Marantz DV6400, given your stated budget objectives. I'll start by saying I have one, just to acknowledge my bias, but I've only had it for a few weeks and it's not set up in my primary system yet, so I've only explored two channel audio (DVD-A/SACD and redbook CD). I bought it mostly for SACD duty, as I have a Cambridge Audio 540D for DVD-A/V and CD playback.

My impressions: Two channel SACD performance makes my modest set up sound more expensive/higher quality. CD performance is pretty good, not as good as the Cambridge Audio, IMO. DVD-A is untested at this point, as I've only listened to one track of one DVD-A on the Marantz in two channel.

Denon 2200/2900 are probably a good option for you, but up here in Canada, the 2200 (which is almost the same retail as my Marantz in the States) retails for 400$ more than the Marantz and the 2900 is 2.5x the retail of the Marantz, so they were out of the running for me.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you're only considering audio, you might want to look at the Marantz DV6400, given your stated budget objectives. I'll start by saying I have one, just to acknowledge my bias, but I've only had it for a few weeks and it's not set up in my primary system yet, so I've only explored two channel audio (DVD-A/SACD and redbook CD). I bought it mostly for SACD duty, as I have a Cambridge Audio 540D for DVD-A/V and CD playback.

My impressions: Two channel SACD performance makes my modest set up sound more expensive/higher quality. CD performance is pretty good, not as good as the Cambridge Audio, IMO. DVD-A is untested at this point, as I've only listened to one track of one DVD-A on the Marantz in two channel.

Denon 2200/2900 are probably a good option for you, but up here in Canada, the 2200 (which is almost the same retail as my Marantz in the States) retails for 400$ more than the Marantz and the 2900 is 2.5x the retail of the Marantz, so they were out of the running for me.

JasonLaz

Agent

Well that really sucks! One of the reasons for me getting the 3805 over the 2805 was the Denon Link and it sounds like something that might never be used if what you are saying is correct. I would think that Denon might be willing to upgrade/change out the Denon link for i.Link on the 3805 as well but I'm just speculating.

JasonLaz

Agent

Well that really sucks! One of the reasons for me getting the 3805 over the 2805 was the Denon Link and it sounds like something that might never be used if what you are saying is correct. I would think that Denon might be willing to upgrade/change out the Denon link for i.Link on the 3805 as well but I'm just speculating.

JasonLaz

Agent

This one might have caught my eye:

Pioneer DV-578A
Universal DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-Audio player

Crutchfield has it for $149 but I bet I can do better than that elsewhere. I'm new to the high rez format music like DVD-A and SA-CD so this would give me a chance to get my feet wet and see if its something I would heavilly get into. No sense tying up a lot of cash in something I'm not 100% sure I will be using a ton yet.

Is the sound differences that dramatic on the high rez format players? I guess what I'm getting at is there going to be large differences in sound quality between this and the next level up or am I looking at a 3-4X (or more) more expensive player to try the format out?

JasonLaz

Agent

This one might have caught my eye:

Pioneer DV-578A
Universal DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-Audio player

Crutchfield has it for $149 but I bet I can do better than that elsewhere. I'm new to the high rez format music like DVD-A and SA-CD so this would give me a chance to get my feet wet and see if its something I would heavilly get into. No sense tying up a lot of cash in something I'm not 100% sure I will be using a ton yet.

Is the sound differences that dramatic on the high rez format players? I guess what I'm getting at is there going to be large differences in sound quality between this and the next level up or am I looking at a 3-4X (or more) more expensive player to try the format out?

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

Thats a good plan, but pick your poison. Your receiver will be also outdated in a year (no true 7.1 - ala DD+ or equiv). As will your 318 (no 1080p). As will a good universal player (sony will find a new format to capitalize on). Its the nature of the business. Put your money in speakers. They will last (you may outgrow them though).

ooh, way OT. sorry.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

Thats a good plan, but pick your poison. Your receiver will be also outdated in a year (no true 7.1 - ala DD+ or equiv). As will your 318 (no 1080p). As will a good universal player (sony will find a new format to capitalize on). Its the nature of the business. Put your money in speakers. They will last (you may outgrow them though).

ooh, way OT. sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks