Opinions on Sony 9000ES SACD/DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Bohn, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Ken Bohn

Ken Bohn Auditioning

I am thinking of buying one of these units in the next few weeks and will be trying one out at home shortly.

I was wondering if anyone had comments on the audio performance of these units and if anything else is comparable for price/performance for SACD and CD. Note that I consider the DVD portion secondary at this time since I am mainly looking for a decent 2 channel SACD player. I am considering a front projection TV set-up next year and thus the secondary consideration of improving on the performance of my Toshiba second generation DVD player.

As far as I can find, there are not to many SACD/DVD combo players in my area in the price range I am looking at which is CAN$1500-2500. Marantz has the SA-14 (not DVD) for around $2500 and the SA-12 (SACD/DVD) around CAN$4500.

Anyone have thoughts on the 9000ES or other options? Would like to stick with the SACD/DVD combo but could consider a SACD only player with decent performance. I can trade in a Parasound amp I bought from the same dealer carrying the 9000ES thus there is a good chunk of coin in my pocket and no hassle if I go with Sony.

FYI for 2 ch I have a Citation 7.0 pre-amp, 7.1 amp bi-amping a pair of Energy Veritas 1.8's and Boston 12" sub. I feel that this system should be more revealing than what my H/K FL-8550 5 disc changer is feeding it.

PS couldn't find any worthwhile info doing a search of the archives and the Sony 777ES SACD player is out of my range.

Thanks,

Ken

2. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

I have read somewhere that 9000ES has better audio performance than 333ES.

3. Roger Clark

Roger Clark Stunt Coordinator

I love mine. I think it has steller performance (of course that's a subjective opinion, but you asked). I think if you look over at www.hometheatertalk.com and do a search there, a lot of discussion has taken place on this unit.
    Oh, it also has very good video performance if that matters. Though it has the chroma bug, it's very hard to detect (IMO).
    Roger

4. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

5. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike

6. Ken Bohn

Ken Bohn Auditioning

Thanks for the info thus far guys,

Ric, I never read anyone comparing the 555 or 333 to the 9000ES before thus the reason for my post. I would like to get more feedback on this comparison. I have read a few weeks back on comments that the 555 was better than the 333 (maybe I have this reversed) for performance and superior build quality - I'll look back into this if I lean towards this route.

Rodger: my search for "9000ES" didn't turn up anything - I'm in a rush now, I'll look more this weekend at this website, thanks for the tip.

I don't want to get a changer either, just a single disc, decent quality player. I am not nearly as fussy about my picture quality as my audio since I spend 80% stereo, 20% HT and my present TV is a 32" Toshiba Cinema Series - nothing very special.

Ken

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ken you might be interested in this ad Canuk Audio Mart
    Nice to see another canuck on the forum[​IMG]

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken, my brother bought the 'S9000ES about a month ago, and it is a very nice component in every respect. Excellent build quality, sound quality, and picture quality. However, if you want an SACD player first, I would get an audio-only player. I own three audio-only SACD units (SCD-777ES, SCD-C333ES, and SCD-C555ES), and they are all fantastic players, both with CDs and SACDs. Now, I haven't compared the 'S9000ES to my players, but as Ric said, I would not buy a DVD player if SACD were a major priority. Still, if you want just one box, the 'S9000ES is a good choice. Note that it does not play multi-channel SACDs.

Another reason that you may want to look beyond the 'S9000ES is that some say that newer progressive-scan players have better video chipsets. As a result, some say the 'S9000ES picture is not state of the art. I have not compared the 'S9000ES to other players picturewise, but the 'S9000ES does give an excellent picture.

9. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

Another model you might want to look into is the DVP-NS900, which retails for about $1000US. It has multi-channel SACD (the 9000ES, being an older component, only does stereo SACD), progressive scan, built-in Dolby Digital/DTS (if it matters), and the build quality to me seems very similar to their ES line.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Nicholas, obviously opinions vary, but I don't feel the Sony 'NS900V is built to the standards of Sony's ES components. Yes, the 'NS900V is built better than Sony's lesser-expensive, mass-market players such as the 'NS500V, 'NS400, or 'NS300, but it is no 'S9000ES in terms of build quality. From a build quality standpoint, the 'NS900V reminds me of Sony's JB minidisc decks ('JB920, 'JB930, and the current 'JB940). Those decks are built significantly better than the mass-market JE decks, but they are not in the league of the ES (JA) decks. Just my $0.02.

11. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I've had the 333ES and the 9000ES for about a year now. To say that the 9000ES can't compare to the 333ES is a statement based on pure ignorance.

I would have thought RicP would know better than to make such a blank statement.

The 9000ES has the best of both worlds for the audio/vidiophile. Great dependable progressive playback and a CD player that equals the 333ES in every way. This is said from experience not rhetoric.

12. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I own both the 9000ES and the RP-91 and, in my opinion, the 9000ES is the superior unit for picture and sound. The reason I have both units in my system is that it gives me both SACD (2 channel) and DVD-Audio capability. To be honest, I find the 2 Channel SACD sound superior to the DVD-Audio in my system. I'm not a big fan of 5.1 sound for audio listening since much of it is, to me, gimmicky. Listening to movies, however, is another matter.

And as to build quality, the 9000ES is one of SONY's finer efforts in all respects. SONY traditionally creates a tank for the first new product in a particular line as they did with the Model 7000 DVD player, etc. etc. all the way back to the first Betamax and they did this again with the 9000ES which was their first Progressive Scan DVD + 2 Channel SACD player. The build quality is second to none.

By comparison, the RP-91 is a distant cousin in build quality.

13. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I've had the 9000ES for about 9 months, and I'm more impressed with it now than when it was new.

Video performance has been excellent for both interlaced and progressive modes (9 times out of 10 I use interlaced for non-anamorphic material) Layer changes are slightly noticeable but not troublesome. I think I understand what "combing" is, but I'm not sure because, as far as I can see, this player doesn't do it. The chroma upsampling error has only been really obvious while the credits were rolling on a few out of a about a hundred DVDs. I understand that this bug is worse on some other players-it must be, otherwise I just don't know what all the fuss is about.

This fall, I added a Creek OBH-10 volume control (functions as a minimalist analog preamp) between the analog stereo outputs of the 9000ES and (supposedly) the best part of my amps. I daresay the results are pretty darned "hi-fi".

Multichannel SACD and the latest word in in deinterlacing are attractive to me, but I think the look and feel and overall quality of this unit are going to keep it in my rack for a while to come.

14. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Darrel,

I have never compared the 'S9000ES to Sony's ES audio-only SACD players, but I have read comments from a number of people on Audio Asylum saying that the 'S9000ES is inferior, especially as a CD player. That it not to say the 'S9000ES is poor. Far from it. Obviously, opinions vary, and it is possible that biases against DVD players as audio components have prevented some people from judging the 'S9000ES fairly. As I said, I haven't done a comparison myself.

Robert,

On a site like this with so many members, you read a variety of opinions. No question, there are people out there that scrutinize progressive-scan DVD players heavily, looking for the chroma bug and other deficiencies. Many of these people believe that progressive-scan technology changes so quickly, that a one-year old player like the 'S9000ES is inferior to current models. Someone on this site stated a few months back that the 'S9000ES and Toshiba SD-9200 were "veritable dinosaurs" in terms of picture quality. Amazing. All I can say is that my brother is running his 'S9000ES in progressive-scan mode and is thrilled with the picture. It is very nice.

Also, people who judge a DVD player's picture quality harshly need to consider the TV they are using. I imagine system matching is just as important in video reproduction as audio.

Mike said:

16. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I've owned the Sony 9K for just over a year now and it's been working perfectly for me all along... [​IMG] I only use it for dvd's.

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, despite the fact that you only use the 'S9000ES for DVDs, have you compared it to the 'C555ES with CDs and stereo SACDs? Seeing as you got the 'C555ES recently, were you not using the 'S9000ES for CDs and stereo SACDs prior to its arrival?

18. Ken Bohn

Ken Bohn Auditioning

KeithH, thanks for posting here. I have read your posts over previous months regarding the SACD players you have. I have also read posts on Audio Asylum regarding the Sony products.
    I have absolutely zero interest in multi-channel sound, I can experience this in movies with 5.1 but when I want to sit down and listen to CD's I want 2 ch only.
    Still hoping someone knows of some other products coming out soon that are single disc SACD units. I am also not excited about the NS900 for the same reasons people have posted. Maybe Sony will come out with a single disc ES SACD unit to fill the gap between the 5 disc 333, 555 and the single disc 777. Seems I am stuck in no-mans land with what should be an easy set of requirements to meet.
    Perhaps the Vegas consumer electronics show will unveil some new offerings. While I intend to demo products for the next few weeks I don't plan to purchase till I see what the new years models bring. The posts here are strengthening my resolve to hold off [​IMG] .
    Ken

19. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Keith,
    I didn't own any SACD's (stereo or multi) before i bought the 555ES. I used a Technic's changer first then, the CA80ES for cd's. I played the sampler disc that came with 9K a few times though. Too be honest, when i bought the 9K last December, i didn't really have any interest in SACD. I bought the 9K as a top of the line DVD player. I guess if i was moved enough, i could do some comparisons now.. i've got a few titles on SACD now. I find i'm more into multichannel SACD's than two channel [​IMG] My C6i center channel really comes alive with JT -Hourglass and Roger Waters-In The Flesh (as do all my speakers really [​IMG] ) It's a shame every time i go into Best Buy to look for titles they still don't have shit! Lol.. [​IMG] Hey?, do all you two channel guy's still think the earth is flat? [​IMG]
    BTW?, did you ever upgrade your center channel?

20. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

In your opinion maybe, but since my post had a IMO in it, I feel no need to defend my Ignorant opinion, and I will not drop to your level and call yours the same.
    I've even had modifications done to the 333ES since I got rid of the 9000, and the difference now would be quite large. Even with the mods, I still paid less for the 333ES than I did originally for the 9000ES. Because the 9000ES was not as good a DVD player for me, I saw no need to keep it as I had bested it in both DVD and PCM Audio.
    Either way, I'm happy that you like what you have, but how is your blanket statement any better than mine, or somehow less ignorant? I own(ed) both as well, for longer than you I'd imagine. So please keep your declarations of ignorance to yourself.
    BTW, the 9000ES has the Chroma Bug....to me that is FAR worse than the issues with the RP-91 that I haven't come across. I do not need a firmware upgrade, The laser on mine is fine, I always use the exit button, I don't have a ProgScan TV so no left shift issue, so for me the RP-91 is a better DVD Player. I mean you guys DID notice the IMO there right? [​IMG]
    If something else comes along that's better, I'll buy it. I have no deity-like worship of my electronic gear. The 9000ES and its chroma bug kill that player for me, I see it everytime. Does that mean that anyone else cannot enjoy the 9000ES? Of course not. It's still a great player, just not for me. And yes the 333ES sounds better for PCM. But hey, what do I know...I'm ignorant [​IMG]