What's new

Looking for a Projector For Outdoor Viewing (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Moceri

Auditioning
Hello,

I'm extremely new to Projectors and was wondering if it would be feasible to purchase an efficient projector to use with something like this: http://www.target.com/p/inflatable-deluxe-widescreen-movie-screen-12/-/A-10806714#prodSlot=_1_1

I also have a wall outlet (I think 115V) in my car so it really could be done anywhere. Ideally, a projector that works with my phone via USB would be ideal as I'm subscribed to some movie services etc., and of course DVD's.

Price Range: Probably would use this setup 2-5 times a year, so it doesn't need to be pricey, just needs to be effective.

Thanks for all help and suggestions!

jwh92020

Grip
Real Name
John Hiser
You want a projector with at least 2000 lumens, 2500 would be better. This will give you a brighter image on the big screen and help offset whatever light you can't control. While a 720p projector is true HiDef, there are a lot of people using SVGA (800 x 600) and XGA (1024 x768) projectors and having great experiences. Outdoor movies are not about the highest picture quality you can get, they are about the experience. Having said that, I use an Optoma HD66 (2500 lumens, 4000:1 contrast, 720p) on an 11 ft screen and the picture is very good. I picked up this projector for $300 used on craigslist and I've been very happy with it. I just picked up a Panasonic PT-F300U, which is a commercial projector. It is XGA, 4000 lumens with a 600:1 contrast ratio. I got it to use on the full moon nights when my yard is very bright. Whatever you get, be sure you have a HDMI or a DVI input.

The screen you're looking at is a great screen. Remember that the blowers on it run constantly, so that is something to think about if you are wanting to run your equipment from you vehicle. Here is a link to some non powered screens to take a look at.

Also, you need to consider sound options. Projectors have very weak speakers if they have them at all. A cheap set of computer speakers would be a good place to start.

This is my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Jimmy Moceri

Auditioning
Thanks for the help, I think you gave me some good baselines to go off of!

I was looking at these two, doesn't seem like I could go wrong with either:
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-MS504-3000L-Smarteco-Projector/dp/B00FWUQV92/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1403792593&sr=1-15&keywords=video+projector

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD5134-Projectorwith-Blu-Ray-Integrated/dp/B00A9S3OOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364492543&sr=1-1&keywords=PJD5134

Also, I think you meant to link other screens for viewing, but forgot. I would love to see those! I forgot about the blowers and I guess would prefer one without that.

Thanks again!

jwh92020

Grip
Real Name
John Hiser
Oops! Forgot the link. Here it is: http://www.campchef.com/portable-screens.html?limit=all

It will give you an idea for alternatives. If you like them, look around, you can usually fins them cheaper on Amazon than buying direct. I have the 120: screen (120sl) that I use for rear projection in my garage. I bought just the screen and built my own frame. In your case, i would use the frame that comes with it. It's really nice.

Reading the reviews, I think you'll be much happier with the Viewsonic.. It has the ability to zoom which the BenQ doesn't. That is important when you move and set up the projector each time you use it.

Also, here is a link to Backyard Theater.com There is a ton of information there and a lot of people with great ideas and years of experience.

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/

larrdog

Stunt Coordinator
I bought an Epson movie mate it has Hdmi built in DVD player and auto brightness , coax output. I hook it up to a receiver in garage and take on trips. very portable . We use it with our 10 by 20 ft screen. Very good picture paid about 400.00

jwh92020

Grip
Real Name
John Hiser
The Moviemate is a great unit. My issue with it is that if you want to use Blue Rays, you have to connect a dvd player to a dvd player. If Epson made the 85HD with a Blue Ray player, I'd be all over it. The other "downside" is that it doesn't do rear projection. For a lot of people, that is no big deal. The Moviemate is a really good value when you want fast, easy set up, quality images and solid performance. Plus the digital zoom is a great feature.

joecolelife

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
It seems that the 2 suggested projectors from amazon are lamp projector. lamp projector life time is very short. in general, you can play 1 or 2 years and it's image will become unclear. It is very expensive if you replace the lamp.
Now new trend is DLP LED projector. Long life time at least 20000+ hours and light weight. Some DLP LED projector have android os inside and wireless features.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The only problem with DLP LED is overall light output. They still aren't up to the brightness levels of high pressure lamp based projectors. Once Laser LEDs become a viable option for projection, then it will be a little different, but outdoor projection still needs HP lamp light levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks